Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Open Source Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 02-03-2015, 03:47 PM   #1
rocklizzard91
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 226287
Vehicle:
2002 V9 EJ207 WRX
WRB

Default Ej205 egt concerns

Hey all, I've had my egt gauge for a while, it's probe is installed in the driver side manifold on the "button" that is regularly suggested. I'm not sure if my egt's are safe. My IAM is usually at 16 when I check. But I wanted to see what you guys think.

I've got a 2002 WRX with the stock td04 and an external wastegate, Perrin inlet, 3port ebcs, catless 3" downpipe, iirc 2.5" exhaust to a Prodrive axleback, XPT tune that I have modified the ignition table from a friend's protune map, STi tmic, 6speed swap and the car runs ~19psi
Live in CA with 91oct

The egt's are as follows
70mph ~2800rpm egt1435° ignition advance ~39°
55mph ~2200rpm egt1330° ignition advance ~36°
Idling I get 730rpm 970° ignition advance ~12°

Does this seem normal? When I get on it they can get as high as mid 1700's and low 1800's if it's in 5th or 6th gear. Afr doesn't go above 11.2 while boosting, it's a little on the lean side, but the IAM has stayed at 16 suggesting no knock.

Just looking for input. I'll be swapping to a Blouch 16g next week and I'm not sure where I should be.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using NASIOC mobile app
rocklizzard91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2015, 02:30 AM   #2
Concillian
Scooby Guru

Member#: 4414
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

11.2 at high RPM on an EJ205 on CA91 is on the lean side. EGTs are up there. CA91 needs to retard some timing, which increases EGTs. Richer fueling will calm that down. I usually aim for 10.8-10.9 on local tunes.

Knock isn't the concern here, it's longevity of the turbo and exhaust valves. Turbos sometimes have turbine inlet specifications, which I assume is why the stock EGT is located right next to the turbine inlet. Generally this spec is 1650-1700, which is where the "rule of thumb" of <1650 is good comes from. I think you'll find quite a few CA91 tunes where EGTs are over 1650. It doesn't result in immediate failure, or even immediate damage like knock can, but it's more a margin thing.

Personally, I would richen the WOT fueling tables and drop the EGTs some. The only concern is WOT. Cruising EGTs at 1400 ish... whatever, nothing really matters there.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:22 AM   #3
ride5000
Scooby Guru

Member#: 32792
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

^^^what he said
ride5000 is offline   Reply With Quote