Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
jadawgis732
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 208409
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2012 WRX Sedan
WRB

Default Clutch Engagement Sensor Adjustment Help

So, I'm trying to install a clutch stopper like the one pictured here. I got the stopper installed with a lot of difficulty (there is hardly any room down there) but now the car won't start. This is because I need to adjust the clutch engagement sensor to match the new travel of the clutch. That is so much easier said than done.

Here is a picture from the thread I referenced.

Don't be fooled by the apparent ease of access. That picture is taken with a camera shooting up from the floor mat, and using a wider than normal angle. The way I see it, if I'm with my back on the floor, suspended like a torture rack (feet on the ground outside, small of the back on the door sill) well, everything is much tighter. Has anyone done this before or have any advice on how this is done? Thanks.
jadawgis732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #2
25rsti
Scooby Guru

Member#: 166324
Chapter/Region: NESIC

Take it out to work on? That's what I've done, but I've also worked under there too. Pulled a muscle or two but it can be done.
25rsti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #3
jadawgis732
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Sedan
WRB

I was thinking about that, but looking at the repair manual, it advises the mechanic to always use a new clevis pin (their bolding) every time they do the uninstall/reinstall routine. I was also considering just using a vampire clip to connect the two wires that go to the switch, but that'll break cruise control- which I'm okay with as long as it doesn't have the cruise control light on the dash blinking. I dunno. Maybe I'll uninstall as much as necessary to gain access. Here's two pictures of the two pages in the manual that concern this part.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
jadawgis732
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2012 WRX Sedan
WRB

Okay, for anyone doing this, here's what I did. I removed the dash panel on the driver's side (the panel that contains the mirror adjustors, what have you) and located the wires going to the clutch engagement sensor looking through the gap next to the steering wheel with a flashlight and reaching around underneath so I could see what I was doing. I then used a vampire clip (you could also use a jumper) to ensure that the clutch engagement sensor was always activated. Now I can turn my car on without having to use the clutch (I wonder how remote starters get around this problem).

The only issue is you lose cruise control. You don't have a flashing light on your dash, in fact you can still turn CC on and off, however you can't coast. You still have CC. I was wrong. Sorry.

I do have to wonder, though, if the car thinking the clutch is always engaged is going to cause mechanical issues. Anyone?

Last edited by jadawgis732; 04-13-2013 at 08:30 PM.