Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-11-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
P20SPD
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 39565
Vehicle:
2001 MY00 Uk Wagon
Mica Red

Smile UK GC8 2.35 twin scroll build

Thought you guys may be interested in seeing what we get up to the other side of the pond. Copies of my posts on uk forums.

Lateral Performance 2009 build

So, this is how the car finished 2008, looking like this after finishing time attack at Snetterton, where it finished 2nd with Andy driving and a fubarred head gasket!

Along came late March this year and I was speaking with Mark at Lateral, when he asked me if I wanted the car back at mine to do so work on it, as he knew I wasn’t doing anything with my own car this year. When I asked what his thoughts for the car were, I was quite surprised.

The conversation kind of went like this:
Mark: Well, I guess the car has done enough as it currently stands, pretty much running full weight, so I regard the shell as a scrapper, do what you want to it
Steven: What I want?
M: Yeah, whatever you want?
S: Hang on, do you mean, ANYTHING?
[long pause]
M:………Yes, anything!
M: may regret saying that though!
S: nice one, angle grinder to the rescue!

The car had been corner weighted just before Snetterton at 1280kg without a driver.

The car arrived at mine in early April, but I didn’t really start doing anything on it until the back end of April where I started by removing the dash.

This enable me to start picking out the wiring loom, to ditch unwanted wires. However, after spending what felt like an eternity with an hour here, and hour there, I quickly rang David Wallis and asked how long it would take to make a fresh loom, and what it would cost us in parts. 5 minutes later, the car looked like this. Apologies for pics, done with my blackberry camera thing, when I could remember.

You will not that I have started to remove the sound deadening. The main focus was remove as much weight as possible, although I ended up missing several things in the end.

Diff cradle was removed to make it easier to remove the fuel tank.

Oem fuel tank removed, not required anymore. Quite light actually.

Next up was the removal of the boot floor, which would also come in hand as a bin for all the sound deadening. By the time this was removed, and full of sound deadening, it was quite awkward to move about.

Now to the other end of the car. Everything removed from the engine bay, so I have a clean drawing board so to speak. Chop out the slam panel, and the lower cross member as they will be in the way.

Front wings at this point had been removed early to aid removal of the loom. Just sat a bumper in place for some mad reason, and got the welding stuff out, as an Omp bolt in cage was going to be installed due to the doors changing over to fibreglass ones with poly carb windows.
P20SPD is offline   Reply With Quote