Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 03-27-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
OneInchPunch
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52582
Default sloshing sound + low coolant

I have a new wrx with less than 1000km on it. I noticed sloshing/bubbling sounds at low rpms ever since i had it, but thought nothing of it.

I checked my coolant level in the reserve tank and noticed it was an inch or so below the low mark even at normal temp. All i can think of is that the dealer installed a block heater (which involves draining coolant? ) and didn't fill it properly.

Could any harm at all been caused at this low level? Does the sloshing noise indicate air in the system? I can't top it off until monday till a dealer opens so i can get some subaru coolant ...

Anyways the car temp. guage has been totally normal and it runs perfectly otherwise.
OneInchPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2004, 02:59 PM   #2
mesaro
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 27335
Vehicle:
2005 Forrester XT
OBS

I had this problem a few weeks back. Got some coolant and refilled it. The bubbling went away and haven't noticed any problems. HTH

-Nardo
mesaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 03:38 PM   #3
armand1
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10309
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
'02 OBS 2-tone!
White

Yep, sounds like you had/have some bubbles of air in the cooling system from the dealer's install. Normally, during driving they should be vented out the radiator cap and into the reserve tank, which is probably why that level is low. Once you get the coolant, dilute it 50:50 with *distilled* or deionized water, and fill the reserve tank up to at least the high level. Then, monitor the reserve tank level before and after every drive over the next few days, refilling to "high" with more 50:50 mix whenever you notice the level has dropped.
armand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 04:39 PM   #4
OneInchPunch
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52582

allright will do so, i was just worried if any problems could result with such a low level of coolant in the reserve...

edit: filled and refilled up to the full mark in the reserve tank for a few days until the level stabilized. All is good and sloshing noises are gone.

Last edited by OneInchPunch; 04-01-2004 at 10:35 AM.
OneInchPunch is offline   Reply With Quote