Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 06-28-2006, 10:55 AM   #1
sregger
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 82725
Vehicle:
2001 Impreza RS
Black

Default engine hiccup and sound from....AC?

For the past week my car has had a slight hiccup problem. Periodically i will hear a quick "chk" sound that i *think* is coming from towards the front of the car, and the car will hesitate just slightly for a split second. It is slight enough that i don't think anyone who isn't driving the car would notice, and it is very quick. But i know i am not making things up, because it happens often. I haven't been able to pin it to a specific RPM, and it seems to do it under soft and hard acceleration, and cruising, though maybe the most often under soft acceleration. The best example i can think of is that it almost feels as if the wheels hit gravel and lose traction for half a second. I don't lose control of the car or anything, but the slight hiccup in acceleration feels like that.

From yarrgh's suggestion on this forum i checked to see if it was related to my AC, and sure enough, the problem only happens when my AC is turned on. What in the world could this be then? Is it something i need to be worried about? How do i go about fixing this problem?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
sregger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
Mulder
Trust no one

Member#: 11170
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 RAV4 MT
15 WRX/11 CRZ

It is the compressor cycling on. When it engages you may notice a change in engine load. It shouldn't be that extreme however, if you feel it is excessive it may be prudent to get the AC checked. If it's overcharged the compressor may be loading the engine more than it should.
It would help if you complete your profile to include the model and year of your car. This may be a warranty issue but without knowing how old your car is we can't say for sure.
Mulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:12 PM   #3
sephiroth25
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 93204
Chapter/Region: PRSIC
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza
San Remo Red

My car is a 05 2.5rs and it does have the same symptoms. I put a tread like this one on the N/A forum but I did not get a good answer. My does it with and without the A/c.
sephiroth25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
Impreza545
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 174772
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2004 Impreza 2.5rs
Red

Default 2004 2.5rs

I have the same exact issue happening with my Subaru. Someone told me it may be a vacuum leak but I can not seem to figure out what the hell is going on with it. Its been going on for awhile now but hasnt gotten any better or worse. I hear the chirp in the intake when it hesitates for that split second around 2500rpm.
Impreza545 is offline   Reply With Quote