Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-16-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
IIdiceII
Scooby Guru

Member#: 90438
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default weird sound after trans and rear diff fluid change

Ok so this weekend I changed my tranny fluid to uncle scottys cocktail. the rear diff I changed to redline 75w90.

After filling to all proper levels I took the car for a testdrive and noticed a weird sound that got me to almost **** my self.

when i give the car gas in gear (I can bareily touch it or floor it, sound doesnt change) i get this weird sound. Its not really a grinding sound. its def a metal on metal sound though. Its very hard to describe.

once i heared this i went home and let the car sit overnight. today I went out and checked the fluids. It looked like i overfilled the tranny a tad so i drained some fluid out untill the tranny dipstick read just above the L mark when cold. gave it a very tiny bit of gear oil. I could still give it a bit more but I decided to wait to drive the car again.

I re-did the rear diff. It seemed like a didnt get nearly enought gear oil in there. right here, I was convinced the sound i heared was from lack of gear oil in the rear diff.

So i filled it untill the fluid started leaking out of the fill hole. recommened spec. a tad less than a quart.

I took it for a test drive, the sound is still there but seems like it might be a little quieter.

can anyone tell me what it is?

if it were the rear diff, wouldnt it make the sound all the time? like if i wasnt in gear, If i wasnt giving it gas etc.?
IIdiceII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2006, 05:38 PM   #2
IIdiceII
Scooby Guru

Member#: 90438
Chapter/Region: Tri-State

oh yea...

the car drives fine. It def shifts smoother and and drives smoother.

I was hoping the sound was from the cocktail. because it seems like its a light mixture that would maybe make the sounds from the tranny louder than before.
IIdiceII is offline   Reply With Quote