Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday March 29, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 04-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
ttatsumi
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 85763
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Default Clicking noise at < 65kmiles

car: 2002 LGT 5MT
miles: < 65kmiles
Mods: borla knockoff header, magnaflow axleback

So, I've done my research...I've been searching for the answer for the past 3-4months. I took my car to the dealership and they said they couldn't determine the problem due to my car having header and muffler...supposedly they're not trained to work on modded cars...and when i told them about what i read on the forum about voided warranties, i guess the mechanic got alil offended that i did my research before going in there...so, he told me that he would charge me $100 to take a look at my car for less than 5 mins...i said no thanks cuz thats just bs...

i've searched and read on the threads with smilar problems and i came down to this conclusion: Belt tensioner malfunction.

The description of the issue:
When I start the car at very cold temp. until i drive it around for 5-10mins. I have this knocking or clicking sound coming from the belt area. The sound can be heard under load between 1.5k to 2.5k rpm. I do not hear it when idling but the belt is squeeling alittle. I don't have a heatshield anymore because I replaced my header. Also, similar sound issues that I've read are: knocking when the engine warms up but thats a rod knock and my problem goes away when the car warms up. The thread I read with a guy owning an impreza stated that it was belt tensioner malfunction which was covered under warranty. Due to the dealership around my area being not cooperative within my warranty period, I lost my warranty. I was wondering if anyone else can chime in and help me come to a conclusion of what the problem is with my car. Anyone with similar problem on their Legacy? I checked the N/A forum and that's the conclusion I came up with.

If the belt tensioner is the problem, I would like an instruction on how to replace it with torque spec and step by step if possible. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long story.
ttatsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
silentracer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 133136
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy GT LMT
Altlantic Blue SQC#?

This is normal, there is a subaru bulletin on it.
silentracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
ttatsumi
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the article! I'm alil bit more relaxed now...
However, I'd like to say I never had this problem in the past. It just started this Winter 2008 and I never had this noise problem last year or the year before. It's stated in the article that it is virtually undetectable from inside the vehicle but if i drive without the radio on, i can clearly hear something knocking. Should I still be concerned or no? Please tell me no...thanks.

Btw, where is this article from?

Last edited by ttatsumi; 04-02-2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
silentracer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 133136
Vehicle:
2006 Legacy GT LMT
Altlantic Blue SQC#?

No, I haven't noticed it in mine till this winter either. I have 46k miles. The article is a subaru service bulletin to dealership service departments.
silentracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:06 PM   #5
ttatsumi
Scooby Newbie

So...was this year like a bad year or something?!? It really worries me...the world is going to end soon...jk