Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday March 19, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #1
scrawshaw
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 72927
Default Strange noise at high speed in '06 STI

Ever since I picked up the STI 4,000 miles ago, I noticed a humming sound from the tires that is loudest at exactly 80MPH. At 90, a 2nd different and quiter humming sound starts up. I took the Service Manager on a test ride and showed him both sounds and he thought they were normal. The 80MPH sound changes when the wheel is turned slightly either way. Then, I put the snow tires (Dunlop Wintersport 3D) and snow wipers on. The 80 MPH sound is now gone. The 90 MPH sound remains, but seems to be coming from the rear now. At somewhere between 90 MPH and 120 MPH, a new, much louder sound has appeared. It doesn't happen all the time, so road surface may have something to do with it, but it has happened on two highways. It is very loud. The only time it happened at a speed as low as 90, was on a very windy day. It is a droneing sort of sound. Usually, to make it happen, you have to go up to 110 or more, but once it starts, slowing down does not make it go away until you drop to 90. I'm thinking it is the side glass on the passenger side bowing outward at speed; made worse by strong crosswinds on that one day where it started at 90). There isn't really a wind leaking sound though. I don't think that window/door fits right. (the door feels like it hangs up and drops 1/4 inch as you open it. The lock looks aligned and the door and glass look aligned though. The Subaru mechanic said it was the trailing edge of the glass sticking to the rubber and he lubricated the rubber. (this new loud sound only started after he did that, but I'm not sure if it started before or after the snows went on since I may not have gone 110 between the lubrication and when the snow tires and wipers went on) One of the reasons I'm thinking glass/door issue instead of tire is that the noise is very inconsistant (it changes a lot at a steady speed; maybe with gusts of wind?) and it doesn't go away or change when you take your foot off the throttle until the speed falls to 90. The easiest thing to try next is to put the regular wipers back on, but I doubt that is it. In the Spring, when the snows come off, it could go away. I could talk to some tire people to see if inspection of the right front tire (where the noise seems to be coming from) could reveal a problem. It looks fine to me. As hard a time as I had to get someone to come on a test drive with me at 80 MPH, I don't think I will ever get anyone to go 110. My biggest concern is just the possibility of a tire or wheel bearing failure at speed, since I don't actually stay at those speeds for very long. The tire wear looks fine on both sets of tires, by the way.
scrawshaw is offline   Reply With Quote