Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday March 28, 2024
Home Forums Images WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

* As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. 
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-27-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
jagatek
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 155754
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
PSM

Default Power loss and strange chirp/cough

I have a 2005 WRX Open source stage 1 with a K&N filter and no additional modifications.

While accelerating, the car will make a noise about once every minute or so. When the noise is made, there seems to be a slight loss of power that only last a quarter of a second. It is just like a hiccup.

The noise sounds like a chirp/cough/hiccup. It sounds like it is coming from the front driver side of the car. No CELs are being thrown either.

It seems the noise has slowly begun occurring more often.

Is anyone familiar with this noise? The last maintenance issue I had to correct, was a popped power steering belt. I had to drive for about 20 miles without the belt.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by jagatek; 12-27-2008 at 04:13 PM. Reason: more clarification
jagatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #2
Sudafed
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 70090
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 2.5 RS
Silver

a/c compressor engaging? are you driving with your a/c or defroster on? sounds exactly like that. the compressor clutch cycles, and when it engages and runs, you will feel a slight power loss.
Sudafed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
jagatek
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
PSM

That is what I thought at fist, but I do not recall it being so pronounced in the past. I am going to go drive it around the block with and without the AC and see if it changes.
Old 12-27-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
jagatek
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
PSM

I drove around the block, and the car is only making the noise, when the A/C is turned on.

But, I still don't understand why it is making this noise now, when it had not been making that noise in the past. Also, the power loss is much more noticeable now than it had been in the past.

Any ideas why?
Old 12-27-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Sudafed
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 70090
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2002 2.5 RS
Silver

as the clutch wears out they start to squeak a little more. you can spray it out with brake clean and clean the dust up, and put a tiny bit of valve lapping compound between the clutch and pulley. use a feeler gauge and put it in like 2 places. run it a few times to wear it in and then clean it out again.
Sudafed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
jagatek
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 WRX
PSM

Thanks for the advice, Sudafed. I will do this. I guess I am just noticing the power loss more, since there is now a noise associated with it.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #7
Reinonu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 188534
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza RS
Silver

So one thing to keep in mind is that the A/C belt is engaged when the "defrost" setting is used (front, not rear). So just because the A/C is not formally turned on you might be using that belt anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagatek View Post
I drove around the block, and the car is only making the noise, when the A/C is turned on.

But, I still don't understand why it is making this noise now, when it had not been making that noise in the past. Also, the power loss is much more noticeable now than it had been in the past.

Any ideas why?
Reinonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
Reinonu
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 188534
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza RS
Silver

This sounds very similar to the problem I'm having on my Impreza RS '03. However, it was diagnosed as the A/C belt needing tightening after realizing the defrost setting also uses the A/C belt. Although the hiccup and power loss are VERY subtle.

Just make sure you test the A/C compressor properly, with the defrost setting off.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagatek View Post
I have a 2005 WRX Open source stage 1 with a K&N filter and no additional modifications.

While accelerating, the car will make a noise about once every minute or so. When the noise is made, there seems to be a slight loss of power that only last a quarter of a second. It is just like a hiccup.

The noise sounds like a chirp/cough/hiccup. It sounds like it is coming from the front driver side of the car. No CELs are being thrown either.

It seems the noise has slowly begun occurring more often.

Is anyone familiar with this noise? The last maintenance issue I had to correct, was a popped power steering belt. I had to drive for about 20 miles without the belt.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Reinonu is offline   Reply With Quote