Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-23-2000, 01:12 PM   #1
nd4spd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 948
Question '91-'94 Legacy Turbo, intercooled??

Hi, I'm new to this board, I'm actually considering buying a Legacy Turbo and well, I have a question. On the '91-'94 Legacy Turbos is there an intercooler??and if not, whats the hood scoop for??also, whats it cost to get an intercooler for this car? Thanks for the help
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
nd4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2000, 01:43 PM   #2
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
1997 LGT Wagon 5spd
'06 LGT 5spd Ltd Sdn

nd, no, they never came with an intercooler(unfortunately). You could probably get a custom spearco set-up for around a grand, give or take a bit. The 93-96 WRX intercoolers can be made to work with a little bit of modifications. These could be had for under $500 for the intercooler and pipe. You can probably get it alot cheaper if you find an individual that isn't using his anymore( Alot of WRX guys upgrade them with aftermarket units). The liquid-to-air intercoolers that came on the 1st gen. turbo Legacys everywhere else in the world would probably work but it's alot more complex and expensive.

I use the early WRX intercooler and at WOT in 4th gear, the intake temps dropped around 30-40 degress, so it is surely better then nothing and will work fine for me as I will probably never go above 12-13psi. Hope this helps.
Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2000, 04:54 PM   #3
PeteH
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431
To answer you hood scoop question, on the 'overseas' cars the intercooler is mounted directly under the scoop. On the US spec Turbo Legacy's the scoop has a duct mounted to the bottom of it that channels the air to what is commonly known as the 'stovepipe'. This 'stovepipe' is nothing more than ductwork that surrounds the turbo charger to help keep the temps down. I am sure it helps somewhat but it will not replace the intercooler. BTW, the Legacy turbo has a water-cooled center section, in fact, I do not personally know of any turbo failures with this model.
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote