Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday April 25, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Car Audio, Video & Security

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
GregT750
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 418928
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default 08 Imp stock speakers & pioneer hu

Hey all,
Read Audiosavvy's sticky so I'm trying to be as thorough as possible with my info. Have a 08 Impreza with a stock system, I think its the base system w/single cd, no tweeters, no navi. I'm changing the hu to a pioneer DEH80PRS, not looking to add an amp or anything in the future. I had this stereo in my truck and I ran it through the stock amp, wiring, and speakers and it was fine for me (had premium sound but no sub though). My music tastes vary quite a bit from classical to death metal but I'm not one for boatloads of volume or bass or at least not for long. I'm looking for advice on the stock speakers. Are they ok for most cases ? or are they crap for anything with a better hu ? Thanks in advance

Greg
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
GregT750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:29 PM   #2
mauldin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 413709
Join Date: Feb 2015
Default

Look at the thread showing how to scavenge the stock speaker to make adapters. There are a few pictures of the stock Subaru speakers. Stock door speakers are worth maybe $5 each. I have seen bigger speaker magnets on 1" tweeters. They are plastic and paper. Anything aftermarket would be an improved to.
mauldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
phenryiv1
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 91212
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR
Satin White Pearl

Default

What is your obsession with people hacking up stock speakers? That tactic works in about 5-10% of speaker installs. PLEASE stop posting that in every thread about speaker replacements. People come here for help. Your help is not helpful because it isn't accurate for a MAJORITY of installs.

JUST STOP.
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
mauldin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 413709
Join Date: Feb 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenryiv1 View Post
What is your obsession with people hacking up stock speakers? That tactic works in about 5-10% of speaker installs. PLEASE stop posting that in every thread about speaker replacements. People come here for help. Your help is not helpful because it isn't accurate for a MAJORITY of installs.

JUST STOP.
I said go to that thread to see what the stock speakers look like. Seeing someone else's hacked up speaker may help him realize how cheap the stock speakers are.

You peddle your adapters on every speaker thread. So stop complaining about my posts.

For the reading impaired here is a side by side picture so you can see how crapy the stock plastic speaker is.
mauldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
GregT750
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 418928
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

Given my use I was just looking to see if anyone thought they'd be ok, if not I'd look and see about ordering new ones with the hu. I'm sure the site would recommend ones that would fit by application so I wouldn't have to modify anything. :-)
GregT750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
mauldin
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 413709
Join Date: Feb 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT750 View Post
Given my use I was just looking to see if anyone thought they'd be ok, if not I'd look and see about ordering new ones with the hu. I'm sure the site would recommend ones that would fit by application so I wouldn't have to modify anything. :-)
Good luck finding the correct adapters unless you want to spend $60 for PHenry's adapters or use cheap plastic eBay ring that need to be drilled.

That is why I spent $80 for 4 Pioneer TSAs and made my own mounts. Didn't want to spend to much $$$ to add a little better sound to my car.

Unlike others, I assume you will do your research and make an adult decision. Good luck. Half the fun is learning as you go.
mauldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:14 PM   #7
TrickNipple
moon moon
Moderator
 
Member#: 86213
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Wild wild Northwest
Default

You could just upgrade the headunit and see how it sounds to you. Then if you want more you can upgrade the speakers, I have heard that the OEM upgraded ones are decent.
TrickNipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:12 AM   #8
phenryiv1
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 91212
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT750 View Post
Hey all,
Read Audiosavvy's sticky so I'm trying to be as thorough as possible with my info. Have a 08 Impreza with a stock system, I think its the base system w/single cd, no tweeters, no navi. I'm changing the hu to a pioneer DEH80PRS, not looking to add an amp or anything in the future. I had this stereo in my truck and I ran it through the stock amp, wiring, and speakers and it was fine for me (had premium sound but no sub though). My music tastes vary quite a bit from classical to death metal but I'm not one for boatloads of volume or bass or at least not for long. I'm looking for advice on the stock speakers. Are they ok for most cases ? or are they crap for anything with a better hu ? Thanks in advance

Greg
The 2011+ speakers are an "upgrade" over the '08 stock speakers that you have, but I use the term loosely. Even $100-150 in aftermarket speakers will sound worlds better, particularly with a good HU powering them, but as noted by TrickNipple, I would first upgrade the HU and see if you still feel the need to upgrade the speakers.

IN MY EXPERIENCE, even with the better 2011 speakers, changing the HU did not improve the sound nearly as much as did installing some moderately-priced aftermarket speakers (Polk dB651 coaxials, in my case). You may feel differently, but my guess would be that the better HU will not do too much to wake up the 08-10 speakers.
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #9
GregT750
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 418928
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

I didn't want to say who I'm getting the stuff from, didn't want to conflict with any possible sponsors. When I put this hu in my truck it wasn't that it was louder, the clarity was a lot cleaner without all the distortion. Where I'm looking the adapters are included so I wasn't worried about the fitment so I'm good there. Looking at the pic of them side by side the differences are obvious. I went and listened to some speakers yesterday (sadly there aren't many places that have a wide variety of speakers that you can listen to anymore) and I did like the the TSA1675R. According to the site the 1675s only fit the rear doors. I'm not bothering with tweeters so I think I'm going to go with the TSG1345Rs for the front doors, and it doesn't add too much to the bill for the hu. Appreciate the input from everyone.
GregT750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #10
phenryiv1
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 91212
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Martinsburg, WV
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5DR
Satin White Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregT750 View Post
I didn't want to say who I'm getting the stuff from, didn't want to conflict with any possible sponsors. When I put this hu in my truck it wasn't that it was louder, the clarity was a lot cleaner without all the distortion. Where I'm looking the adapters are included so I wasn't worried about the fitment so I'm good there. Looking at the pic of them side by side the differences are obvious. I went and listened to some speakers yesterday (sadly there aren't many places that have a wide variety of speakers that you can listen to anymore) and I did like the the TSA1675R. According to the site the 1675s only fit the rear doors. I'm not bothering with tweeters so I think I'm going to go with the TSG1345Rs for the front doors, and it doesn't add too much to the bill for the hu. Appreciate the input from everyone.
Why are you running 5 1/4" front speakers?

And if you are referencing Crutchfield's application guide it is a complete joke. If they don't offer the proper adapters then say that something does not fit. Setting aside that their adapters are a complete joke, their application guide is wrong for the GR Impreza (and the GD Impreza, and SG Forester...). I have bought 4 sets of speakers from there- all of which "don't fit" the intended vehicle. All of them fit fine- with the proper brackets.

I'd do more research before I downgraded from a 6.5" front speaker to a 5.25" front speaker- you lose a lot of bass with that downsize. Also, the TS-G series is a step down from the TS-A series so your TS-G 5.25" won't sound much like the TS-A 6.5" speakers that you heard. Down-sized and a lower product line.
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM   #11
GregT750
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 418928
Join Date: Apr 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenryiv1 View Post
Why are you running 5 1/4" front speakers?

And if you are referencing Crutchfield's application guide it is a complete joke. If they don't offer the proper adapters then say that something does not fit. Setting aside that their adapters are a complete joke, their application guide is wrong for the GR Impreza (and the GD Impreza, and SG Forester...). I have bought 4 sets of speakers from there- all of which "don't fit" the intended vehicle. All of them fit fine- with the proper brackets.


I'd do more research before I downgraded from a 6.5" front speaker to a 5.25" front speaker- you lose a lot of bass with that downsize. Also, the TS-G series is a step down from the TS-A series so your TS-G 5.25" won't sound much like the TS-A 6.5" speakers that you heard. Down-sized and a lower product line.
I didn't know if the holes in the door were smaller and thats why they opted for the 5.25 up front.

Why are their adapters a joke ? whats wrong with them ?

I wouldn't mind using the TSA1675R for fronts and rears if I could. I just watched a vid on the tube of a guy that took some out of a mazda, and he just used self tapping screws and didn't use any adapter. Granted he didn't say what size they were, but thats fine as long as it fits in the hole.

Last edited by GregT750; Yesterday at 03:58 PM.
GregT750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.