Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-31-2000, 08:40 PM   #1
Prostho
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 3388
Vehicle:
1992 E34
Mauritius Blue

Post BC/BF Legacy (90-94)

Any owners of 90-94 Legacy turbo on here? i just got a 1994 Legacy turbo sedan 5 speed. wondering if any of u people have any maintainece or modification tips...

anyone knows who makes a intercooler with piping that would fit the car.. becoz it seems like this car is not very popular with the tuners compared to the imprezas. so its pretty hard to find a intercooler that would be an exact fit on the car.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Prostho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 09:24 AM   #2
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 423
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

You could use the Ver.II Imperza WRX's top-mount intercooler, it fits directly!I puts a used WRX intercooler with no problem.
Check out this site and you will see lots of mod and maintainece of the Legacy turbo. http://www.xmission.com/~dac/centric.htm
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2001, 07:56 PM   #3
Prostho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 E34
Mauritius Blue

o really? thats cool

do u know if it is only the verII? what is the difference between the different version of imprezas intercoolers? thanks
Old 01-01-2001, 10:47 PM   #4
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

Since the older Ver. intercooler sits little bit angle, then it will fit it directly, but if you get yourself a Ver.III intercooler that won't fits for your car, because it can't fit into the engine bay, I got myself a Ver.III intercooler before but it won't fits,or I have to cut the intercooler little bit smaller, but endup I got a used Ver.II intercooler and sell the Ver. III and the Ver.II intercooler gives me troblem free!!
Check the site I list from last reply and you will see my car with the Ver.II intercooler!
Look into Ben's sport sedan and you will find it!!
Old 01-02-2001, 12:29 AM   #5
Prostho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 E34
Mauritius Blue

do u know any companies that would still have a verII intercooler avalible or i would have to get from Sti japan?

in the picture.. did u like cover up the intercooler with a STi thing?? or is it like a filter? does the hood scoop directly blow at the intercooler when u take off the metal thing that redirects the air to the turbo piping thats stock?

also... i am kinda lazy to take off the airbox to figure out if its a cold air intake or what.. i am wondering if its a cold air intake with a resonator or where does it draw air form the engine..

hmm.. another thing is that my car seems to be very jerky when i let off the throttle.. it seems like its more jerky than other mannual cars i have sat in.. this is my frist mannual car so i am not sure if this is normal for a AWD car or is it the turbo. or maybe just that this car is just off the dealer lot and haven't been driven for a while.

sorry for so many questions!! thanks man.. u are realy helpful..

[This message has been edited by Prostho (edited January 02, 2001).]
Old 01-02-2001, 11:06 AM   #6
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

You'll find it at MRT http://www.mrtrally.com.au/
or HK's JunkYard, it cost me about $300 for the Intercooler and other $100 for the silicon pipe. The STi thing is DIY by some the door screen (usuall use for block out the bugs from outside) I just use it for blocking the bugs when driving in Hwy. And I print it for fun.
Yep, you could take of the metal plate to let the wind directly blow to the intercooler its the same design as WRX.
You could remove the resonator behide the right front fander, I just remove it and use the stock air box with K&N drop-in filter, it gives me good power without lossing the lower end torque.
Well, for the Jerky problem, try to replace new spark plug and wire. it may help a bit.
Old 01-02-2001, 10:57 PM   #7
Prostho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 E34
Mauritius Blue

cool.. thats great man.. 300$.. hehehe... more boost! here i come!!!!

so does the resonator draw air from inside fender or from inside the engine bay? also, do i need to reset the computer after intalling a K&N and taking out the resonator?

thanks for the tip about the jerkiness.. i will try to replace the spark plugs and wires..
Old 01-03-2001, 03:45 PM   #8
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

I would say if you do any of the intake modifiation, you needs to reset the ECU, I did it eveytime when I do any modify to my car and let the ECU to learn the new stuff(don't know it wroth it or not???) but let them re-fresh again is a good idea!
The air box will draw air from the inside of the fander since the fander has more space then the resonator box I think it lets the air box breath more and cooler!!!
Old 01-04-2001, 01:22 AM   #9
Prostho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 E34
Mauritius Blue

ic... i guess i will reset the ECU after i change it then...

just like resetting any other ECU, disconnect batt for around 30 min.. then start up the car. dun touch anything for around 5 min. then turn off and restart right?
Old 01-04-2001, 02:01 PM   #10
mazmay
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1025
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for your legacy. It is a car that probably offers a the best of all worlds: reliability, awd, turbo (relatively easy to boost a bit more), 4 doors, sleeper car.

I am looking for a legacy turbo myself too, it would be a great car to have.
mazmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2001, 03:04 PM   #11
Prostho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 E34
Mauritius Blue

I found my car at buysell.com at Coastal Ford for $16770 list price.. since the cars exterior condition is not that good, we bargained with the dealer for like a few hours and the price went down to $12900.. its is the only one i found that is 5speed.. the others are auto.. 5 speed seem to be pretty rare for this car now.
Old 01-06-2001, 01:57 AM   #12
Prostho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 E34
Mauritius Blue

I just bought a Haynes mannual for legacy and i found out that its has an air by-pass vavle.. i was wondering if that is it some kind of blow off valve??? or its an entirely different thing...
Old 01-07-2001, 02:49 AM   #13
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 GT Ltd 5spd sdn
2015 WRX 6spd CWP

Yes, that is the Blow-off valve, and in my case, it works fine up to 12.5psi.
Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2001, 07:43 PM   #14
Prostho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 E34
Mauritius Blue

good.. nice to hear that i don't need to shell out another few hundred bucks for a BOV when i increase the boost!

do u run an intercooler with that boost and are u running the stock injectors? wondering if u had any expierience how much boost u can go up to without any fuel delivery or knocking problems.
Old 01-08-2001, 07:58 AM   #15
DLC
out back

Member#: 1964
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
01 BH
Blue/Bronze

At 11PSI i've seen my injector duty cycle reach about 82% when under a heavy load and just a bit of overboost.

I'm confident that these injectors are probably good to 14-15PSI before they go static.

13 seems to be the ECU limit, so you'd have to get a fuel-cut defeat to go any higher.
DLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2001, 04:52 PM   #16
Prostho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 E34
Mauritius Blue

DLC: So when the turbo reaches more than 13psi, the ECU will cut off the fuel delivery???

also, what do u mean by injector duty cycle?? i am still new at this.. not familiar with the terms. hehe.. and what do u mean by overboost? do u mean at 11 psi? and what does the term overboost exactly mean? i only know its a bad thing.. haha
Old 01-09-2001, 10:00 PM   #17
Prostho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 E34
Mauritius Blue

back to the top!!!
Old 01-09-2001, 10:22 PM   #18
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2006 GT Ltd 5spd sdn
2015 WRX 6spd CWP

Prostho, the turbo would reach a bit more, but only for short spurts. Even with my full 3" exhaust, the turbo cannot maintain more then 10 or 11psi for any extended period such as a quarter mile( drag racing). Not in my case anyway and a few of the Impreza guys using this same turbo have the same problem. It's just too small for any kind of high boost/horsepower applications. Fun as hell on the street though since it spools up as fast lightning. Gives you a nice kick in the ass

Injector duty cycle, without going into any detail, is how fast the injector is opening and closing. 100 percent means the injector just stays wide open, the lower the number, the slower it's opening and closing. As a rule of thumb, most injectors will work fine up to the 80 percent range, after that they start to become a bit unreliable.

And overboost or boost "spike" is how high the boost goes over the desired setting before it settles at the desired boost level. For instance, lets say you have the boost controller set at 12psi. Once the boost controller sees that 12psi, the boost controller must release that 12psi to the wastegate diaphram so the wastegate can open and keep the boost at 12psi. But, by the time the boost controller releases the pressure to the wastegate and then wait for the wastegate to fully open, the boost might have went past 12psi and maybe shoot up to 13 or 13.5 psi or so before everything happens and the wastegate opens. Keep in mind this all happens in a split second, but if your fuel system is maxed out at 12psi, that boost spike could be very harmful. It's always nice to have a bit of a safety margin.

And yes, I have a first gen WRX intercooler with the stock injectors. I have yet to hear any pinging whatsoever from my car, although I would not go beyond the fuel cut( 13psi) without either bigger injectors or a fuel pressure riser, as well as a bigger fuel pump. I also run colder plugs( any help in preventing detonation is a good thing the way I see it )

Hope this helps ( probably just confused you more. Hell, I think I'm confused ).

[This message has been edited by Shik (edited January 09, 2001).]
Old 01-10-2001, 01:53 AM   #19
Prostho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 E34
Mauritius Blue

icic.. thanks.. i think i get most of it now.. the last part is that i gotta try it on my car!

hmm.. around how many HP do u think the car makes at around 11 psi? i am planning to autoX this car so it doesn't really need that high power that long.. just short spurt to get the to next cone that i try not to hit! hehe

also, what exhuast are u using?? i am thinking of getting a low restriction exhaust too since more backpressure= harder to have high boost..

Do we use the same IHI turbo as the european EJ20 legacy?? i belive our turbo is IHI RHB5?
Old 01-10-2001, 05:46 AM   #20
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Vehicle:
2006 GT Ltd 5spd sdn
2015 WRX 6spd CWP

With my exhaust, intercooler, and the boost raised to where it's at, I would like to think that the car is in the 200hp range, but the torque may be a bit more since the car "feels" quite a bit stronger. Who knows.

As for auto-x'ing, I would think the stock turbo would be quite a bit of an advantage since there is practically zero lag when you have a good exhaust and air fliter on.

My exhaust was custom made by RalliSpec and as with most of the products they make, it's a work of art. Full 3" mandrel bent downpipe with the mouth ovalized so the wastegate exhaust could merge better with the primary exhaust, then a full 3" system with practically no bends, back to an Apex-i N1 muffler.Pictures of the downpipe can be seen at Dave's Turbo-Centric site under "member's turbos". Look under Matt(the first one). They said they would like to get my car back down there to make a copy of the downpipe for other Legacy turbo owners, or make a duplicate of downpipe they are making for an Impreza with an IHI turbo, but apparently the demand just isn't there( understandable).

And no, the EJ20 Legacys use a bigger IHI, but should fit with little problem and some custom intake piping work.

Old 01-11-2001, 05:34 PM   #21
Prostho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 E34
Mauritius Blue

thanks Shik.. how much did it cost you for the custom piping?? i wonder if they could still be able to fabricate one without urs to copy..

I am also having this problem of not being able to shift to 1st unless i go to almost complete stop.. anything above a crawl i can't shift to 1st.. say 20km/h, i have to force it in pretty hard.. however, if i double clutch, its pretty easy to slide it in. any of u guys have this problem?

and i think my 3rd gear syncro is gonna go soon.. seems to want to grind gears when i shift from 4th to 3rd.
Old 01-12-2001, 09:46 PM   #22
Prostho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 E34
Mauritius Blue

back to top!
Old 01-13-2001, 05:15 PM   #23
Prostho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 E34
Mauritius Blue

hey. i am just thinking of changing my stock 195/60/15 to 205/55/15 Toyo FZ4? except for slighly inaccurate speedo and odometer, anyone think theres any disadvantage?
Old 01-13-2001, 07:59 PM   #24
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

I just did the same thing during last summer, I just replace the 205/55/15 on my stock rims with Dunlop Sport SW-10 and it gives me no problem on the speedo!!
Old 01-13-2001, 10:15 PM   #25
Prostho
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1992 E34
Mauritius Blue

ic.. thanks...

have anyone here tried 225/50/15? any problems? i know its pushing it. but my friend said that i could mount R tires that size on my stock rims if i am really serious about autoX..