Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday October 25, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > News & Rumors

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2006, 05:20 PM   #1
Alan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3601
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Tigard, Oregon
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Wagon
BRIGHT BLUE!

Smile Subaru vs Volvo AWD Test

It's not essential Subaru news, but it is fun to see how our AWD system WHOOMPS the Volvo/Ford system.

Volvo vs Subaru AWD
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
BigElm
Always under your radar!
Moderator
 
Member#: 1568
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Hawtlanta!!!
Default

This is an old vid but I'll leave it for those who have not seen it.
BigElm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
SubasaurusWrex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 70285
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Schaumburg, IL
Vehicle:
2011 JCW Mini
Midnight Black/Red roof

Default

Sweden > Japan. I wonder if subaru winning has anyone to do with them only making AWD cars..?
SubasaurusWrex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:51 PM   #4
Rally_wgn
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 62629
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Richmond,VA
Vehicle:
1996 OBS in Green
2.5 N/A w/ full exhaust

Default

I showed this to a friend considering a Cross Country and he was amazed but his wife wanted the volvo for "safety" so thats what they got.

I told him to make friends with a local volvo shop to get the best price on repairs
Rally_wgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:53 PM   #5
dodiox
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 85718
Join Date: Apr 2005
Vehicle:
06 WRX
Cobb Stage 2

Default

linky no worky!!!
help!
dodiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
SoDealer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67960
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_wgn
I showed this to a friend considering a Cross Country and he was amazed but his wife wanted the volvo for "safety" so thats what they got.

I told him to make friends with a local volvo shop to get the best price on repairs
Subaru beats Volvo for safety in every car they compete with

Volvo is riding on its reputation these days. Subaru is building one.
SoDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
Chuck H
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 20442
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Chelmsford, MA
Vehicle:
KTR tuned 2003 WRX
VF34 equipped, 270 whp

Default

What is the difference between the systems? Does the Volvo setup have all open diffs or something?

And it would have been interesting to see them use the less sophistocated WRX 5-speed AWD system with its open front diff and viscous center diff vs. the Volvo to see if the WRX hill-climbs as well as the auto Legacy.
Chuck H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:17 PM   #8
left footed whooten
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44652
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Truckee, CA
Vehicle:
06 WRX
15 Forester

Default

Volvo uses Haldex doesn't it? Whatever it is it isn't Suby's system, which tromps the Haldex. My stepdad is a 25 year Volvo mechanic, and is about to buy an 06 WRX wagon. He says that he would never buy a Volvo for its AWD system. I totally agree with him. Theyre great, but not by way of their AWD. Also maintenance costs are astronomical compared to a Suby.
left footed whooten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:09 PM   #9
crash
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 1440
Join Date: May 2000
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Keeps Bumpers Fresher, Longer!
Vehicle:
05 LGT Wgn; 04 FXT
BDSM -- Birmingham, AL

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rally_wgn
I showed this to a friend considering a Cross Country and he was amazed but his wife wanted the volvo for "safety" so thats what they got.

I told him to make friends with a local volvo shop to get the best price on repairs
Show your friend this thread:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946826
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:52 AM   #10
joscolem
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 35480
Join Date: Apr 2003
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Albuquerque, nm
Vehicle:
2009 GT500
Vapor Silver

Default

Correct me if i'm wrongon the Volvo--- but the Volvo's power split is 90/10 max.
Were the Subies with an auto atarts at 90/10 and can go 50/50
joscolem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:21 AM   #11
dusty
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 62175
Join Date: May 2004
Vehicle:
2012 FORESTER LP NAV
SAGE GREEN

Default

This is not really a fair comparison. Volvo AWD has changed quite a bit. The video you saw was based on the old AWD system. Not the haldex system. The new volvo AWD system is far more superior than the old one.

Even though I love Subaru, I still think a V70 is safer in passive safety than a legacy wagon. Volvo has made safety to be theirr foremost goal in their car design. If you get a chance to see XC90 in a roll over test, you will be impressed. Each manufacture has its own strenghten.
dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:38 AM   #12
GrinderAK
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 87551
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage, AK
Vehicle:
97 OBS, 01 RS
2014 SWP FXT

Default

in alaska where awd really counts, subarus outsell volvos by like 40 to 1.
GrinderAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:07 AM   #13
Foxbat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 654
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Fairfax, VA
Vehicle:
2003 WRX, Silver
'08 Tribeca, Brown

Default

Subaru also has 5 different AWD systems. There is no easy comparison. Also, I read some Volvos use a spcial metal in its frame to protect the occupants in case of roll over.

However, in my last winter ski trip, I never saw so many different Subarus running around. Especially all the Bajas that I rarely see on the road.
Foxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:34 AM   #14
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: in a minefield of caddishness.
Vehicle:
1984 "Skeletor from
"He-Man"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck H
And it would have been interesting to see them use the less sophistocated WRX 5-speed AWD system with its open front diff and viscous center diff vs. the Volvo to see if the WRX hill-climbs as well as the auto Legacy.
With the exception of the STi, all Subarus have open front diffs... even that Legacy. I can assure you that the manual equipped Subarus would have no trouble with a little mud.. I've gone straight up steep grades covered in rough ice on all-seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joscolem
Correct me if i'm wrongon the Volvo--- but the Volvo's power split is 90/10 max.
Were the Subies with an auto atarts at 90/10 and can go 50/50
Actually, with the basic (non VTD) 4EAT, the torque split is 50/50 in 1st and 2nd gear, and 90/10 in the higher gears to increase efficiency. If slip occurs in the higher gears, it can go 50/50 again. So it starts out with 50/50 to reduce the chances of slipping from the start and goes to 90/10.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 09:43 AM   #15
Acostafan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67398
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Vehicle:
2002 Now with 100%
RDA of 2.5l Goodness!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
This is not really a fair comparison. Volvo AWD has changed quite a bit. The video you saw was based on the old AWD system. Not the haldex system. The new volvo AWD system is far more superior than the old one.

Even though I love Subaru, I still think a V70 is safer in passive safety than a legacy wagon. Volvo has made safety to be theirr foremost goal in their car design. If you get a chance to see XC90 in a roll over test, you will be impressed. Each manufacture has its own strenghten.

I guess you didn't see the thread containing the article about how even the jaws of life have extreme difficulty cutting through the reinforced B-pillar on Subys? Maybe you've never taken your back seat out and saw the steel reinforcement bar underneath? Maybe you didn't hear the story about me going through a stone wall in my old 95 L at 45mph, hit a tree on the other side, no seatbelt, walked out of the wreck with only scratches?

Volvo safe? Sure. Safer than Subaru? I doubt it.
Acostafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:24 AM   #16
Foxbat
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 654
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Fairfax, VA
Vehicle:
2003 WRX, Silver
'08 Tribeca, Brown

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acostafan
I guess you didn't see the thread containing the article about how even the jaws of life have extreme difficulty cutting through the reinforced B-pillar on Subys? Maybe you've never taken your back seat out and saw the steel reinforcement bar underneath? Maybe you didn't hear the story about me going through a stone wall in my old 95 L at 45mph, hit a tree on the other side, no seatbelt, walked out of the wreck with only scratches?

Volvo safe? Sure. Safer than Subaru? I doubt it.
My understanding is that the material used in certain Volvos for reinforcement is far stronger than the plain old steel used by Subarus. The 2006 B9 Tribeca doesn't even come with roll over sensor and the head curtain won't deploy in a roll over. This is standard on Honda and Toyota SUVs. Subaru only adds this roll over sensor in 2007 model. I have no issue with the safty of my Subies (4 of them). But be realistic. It's not the safest the car out there.
Foxbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:40 AM   #17
LastResort
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 99289
Join Date: Oct 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat
It's not the safest the car out there.
The Insurance Institute for Highway safety disagrees with you.

Top Safety Picks for 2006


Midsize Gold
Saab 9-3
Subaru Legacy

Midsize Silver
Audi A3
Audi A4
BMW 3 series 4-door models
Chevrolet Malibu with optional side airbags
Lexus IS
Volkswagen Jetta
Volkswagen Passat

Small GOld
Honda Civic 4-door models
Saab 9-2X
Subaru Impreza except WRX models

This is not an all inclusive listing, but it does give you a good idea of where exactly Subaru stands which is at least as good as volvo.
LastResort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:45 AM   #18
Chromer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 20325
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
08 Yamaha WR250R
07 Suzuki DL650

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat
My understanding is that the material used in certain Volvos for reinforcement is far stronger than the plain old steel used by Subarus. The 2006 B9 Tribeca doesn't even come with roll over sensor and the head curtain won't deploy in a roll over. This is standard on Honda and Toyota SUVs. Subaru only adds this roll over sensor in 2007 model. I have no issue with the safty of my Subies (4 of them). But be realistic. It's not the safest the car out there.
All Subies with "ring-shaped reinforcement structure" (and that's all of them that are sold in NA as of the Legacy redesign in 04? 05?) get boron-steel inserts in critical areas. I'll let the rest stand. For instance, IIRC stability control is only beginning to become available on some models this year too. (So long as I can easily turn it OFF when I want to! Ex. at a rallycross.)

The next big safety push, following the european lead, is going to be pedestrian head injury safety, and the subies are bad on that because of the hoodscoop and the intercooler.
Chromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:54 AM   #19
LastResort
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 99289
Join Date: Oct 2005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer
The next big safety push, following the european lead, is going to be pedestrian head injury safety, and the subies are bad on that because of the hoodscoop and the intercooler.
The typical solution for that has been sensors and pyrotechnic hoods. I'm all for more safety, but this is going to turn every rear-ender into a source of huge repair cost.
LastResort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:00 AM   #20
garface
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 1581
Join Date: Jun 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: yonkers, ny
Vehicle:
MY00 RS/STi7
MY01 RS Both Silverthorne

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastResort
Small GOld
Honda Civic 4-door models
Saab 9-2X
Subaru Impreza except WRX models

Why does it say except WRX models? Is there really any difference in safety?
garface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:03 AM   #21
Calamity Jesus
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 44501
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: in a minefield of caddishness.
Vehicle:
1984 "Skeletor from
"He-Man"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garface
Why does it say except WRX models? Is there really any difference in safety?
The fixed headrests on the front seats in the WRX models aren't good enough for the gold. The active headrests on the lesser models are safer. The WRX TR should be on the Gold list for 2006 with its 'lesser' seats.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:06 AM   #22
LastResort
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 99289
Join Date: Oct 2005
Default

Beaverboy, FTW.
LastResort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:16 AM   #23
SoDealer
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67960
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat
The 2006 B9 Tribeca doesn't even come with roll over sensor and the head curtain won't deploy in a roll over. This is standard on Honda and Toyota SUVs. Subaru only adds this roll over sensor in 2007 model. I have no issue with the safty of my Subies (4 of them). But be realistic. It's not the safest the car out there.
No the 2006 Tribeca doesn't have a rollover sensor... However... Subaru stepped up bigtime in the actual design of the vehicles. The Tribeca's low center of gravity greatly reduces the chance of rolling over. The Forester and Impreza don't have side curtain airbags, yet they pass crash testing with flying colors. Safest cars out there? debatable... Class leading safety engineering? you bet.
SoDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:19 AM   #24
Jon [in CT]
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 2992
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Connecticut, USA
Vehicle:
02 WRX Sedan
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat
My understanding is that the material used in certain Volvos for reinforcement is far stronger than the plain old steel used by Subarus.
Subaru uses high-tensile-strength steel for its ring-shaped reinforcement cage (see http://moojohn.com/subaru/extract.pdf). 36% of the Tribeca's body is high-tensile-strength steel.

IIHS side-impact tests on the MY06 S40 and S60 resulted in "Acceptable" ratings whereas the MY06 Impreza, Legacy and Forester all received "Good" side-impact ratings. And MY06 Tribeca received a better front impact rating from NHTSA than the MY06 XC90.

It's baffling why people still think Volvos are safer than Subarus.
Jon [in CT] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:26 AM   #25
Acostafan
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 67398
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Vehicle:
2002 Now with 100%
RDA of 2.5l Goodness!!!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon [in CT]
Subaru uses high-tensile-strength steel for its ring-shaped reinforcement cage (see http://moojohn.com/subaru/extract.pdf). 36% of the Tribeca's body is high-tensile-strength steel.

IIHS side-impact tests on the MY06 S40 and S60 resulted in "Acceptable" ratings whereas the MY06 Impreza, Legacy and Forester all received "Good" side-impact ratings. And MY06 Tribeca received a better front impact rating from NHTSA than the MY06 XC90.

It's baffling why people still think Volvos are safer than Subarus.

Thanks Jon!

Foxbat, I rest my case.
Acostafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
08 LGT -vs- Volvo S40 T5 AWD Matty General Community 18 01-02-2008 05:25 PM
subaru AWD VS industry awd dankEe General Community 27 11-17-2007 12:26 AM
2007 VW Eos vs Audi A4 vs BMW 328i vs Volvo C70 vs Saab 9-3 (Car & Driver) NYCshopper Non-Subaru News & Rumors 1 05-16-2007 07:40 AM
Legacy Spec-B (UK Wagon) Shootout vs. Volvo V5 T50 AWD (Fifth Gear Episode) Kostamojen Member's Car Gallery 17 12-06-2005 01:30 PM
Subaru AWD vs Volvo AWD (video, repost) remarcable Legacy Forum 16 09-18-2001 11:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.