Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Brakes & Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Brakes, Steering & Suspension

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
ULL_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 201252
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Default replacing rear hub

After alot of research I have come down to the only reason that I have had my second rear wheel bearing fail in the past year is the hub being out of round and want to do it RIGHT. So I am going to just buy everything from the housing and all the internals.Would the hub itself that is pressed into the housing be the culprit or the housing most likely? I don't see the housing being an issue, but if I have to pay the other $120 for it I am almost ok with it as long as that wa wa wa noise goes away. Looking at the diagrams I was wondering if there is anything that would be able to be reused. Obliviously I don't want to reuse the seals but the snap ring(23485A), and tone wheel (27550B, not sure what its for assuming ABS but $60!!) might just not matter and save this college guy some money . Any comments or feed back would be great guys thanks alot.

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ULL_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:22 AM   #2
txl146
Scooby Guru

Member#: 32459
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
02 WRX VF34
Junior Tuned 301whp

FYI - I've bought 3 sets of 05 WRX knuckles from eBay with low mileage (10-40k) with great success. Only cost ~$50-75 shipped each.

You may want to consider that option instead of rebuilding the whole thing which can be very expensive, but there is always a danger of buying stuff on ebay.
txl146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
ULL_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 201252
Chapter/Region: SWIC

Anyone else have any input on the issue or the above questions?
ULL_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:49 AM   #4
slayers_x
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 101220
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
MY05 imprezaRS
riding on open diff

I recently replaced my rear hubs/bearings/snap ring/oil seals. I had about 150,000 miles on them on my 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS. You really don't need to replace the hubs like I did unless you want to or do some sort of spirited driving or if they look like they need replacement. Depending on the condition of the wheel bearings you can still use the same snap ring. If you're wheel bearings are so bad you may have to replace the hub too. The housing/knuckle shouldn't be the culprit unless you somehow damage it by hitting the curb at some decent amount of speed. Only the passenger rear went out on my car but I thought it would be better replacing both sides just like brake pads. You only need to replace the tone ring if the ring itself is cracked. It's some type of magnetic ring that works together with your ABS sensor. Hopefully this input helps if you have anymore questions let me know.
slayers_x is offline   Reply With Quote