Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday April 27, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > Commercial ECU Reflashes

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2006, 01:12 AM   #1
swift2fly
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 70810
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: e.LBCity, where my heart is at
Vehicle:
07 impreza STi
Jizz White.facial anyone?

Default is it possible to lose an ecutek tune?

please read this:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...7#post14125247

could it be possible that my tune got lost? or if my car was tuned with a really bad pinched fuel hose and a leaking hose that when we replaced the hoses the fuel pressure got higher and it's throwing off the ECU. on top of that my original tune was for a TGV-less manifold but now the ECU is throwing a TGV code.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by swift2fly; 06-16-2006 at 01:27 AM.
swift2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:13 AM   #2
Gethin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2998
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: BC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

Once the ECU is flashed it's there for good, unless it's erased with either a good or bad flash process, or the board is physically damaged in some way via an electrical short.
Gethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:16 AM   #3
swift2fly
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 70810
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: e.LBCity, where my heart is at
Vehicle:
07 impreza STi
Jizz White.facial anyone?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gethin
Once the ECU is flashed it's there for good, unless it's erased with either a good or bad flash process, or the board is physically damaged in some way via an electrical short.

ok here's a weird thing that happened. when i was getting my car tuned and the Ecutek software was uploading i accidentally turned on my car(misunderstood the tuner british accent) the uploading process stopped and he had to reboot the program. what happen was that my original license got erased and it flashed my ECU with another one of his license. from there i dunno what happened but my car was tuned and drove normal...until the whole fuel leak issue.
swift2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:25 AM   #4
Gethin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2998
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: BC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

hey nothing wrong with the british accent haha!

if the flash process is interrupted then yes, the ECU can be left in a limbo state, either recoverable by using up another license (if u are lucky), or gibbled totally and useless.

Fuel leak issues won't do anything to the ecu unless an electrical gremlin makes its way to the ECU wiring shorting something out.
Gethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:45 AM   #5
swift2fly
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 70810
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: e.LBCity, where my heart is at
Vehicle:
07 impreza STi
Jizz White.facial anyone?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gethin
hey nothing wrong with the british accent haha!

if the flash process is interrupted then yes, the ECU can be left in a limbo state, either recoverable by using up another license (if u are lucky), or gibbled totally and useless.

Fuel leak issues won't do anything to the ecu unless an electrical gremlin makes its way to the ECU wiring shorting something out.

lol nothing with the britt accent at all..jsut hard to understant at times. i'm thinking my flash got erased because of the TGV CELs. my original tune was for a TGV-less manifold.
plus i am using PE800s and it's actng like how it did when i didn't have a tune after the install/upgrade.
swift2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #6
Freon
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 88322
Join Date: Jun 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Vehicle:
2009 BMW 135i

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gethin
Once the ECU is flashed it's there for good, unless it's erased with either a good or bad flash process, or the board is physically damaged in some way via an electrical short.
Precisely. You cannot magically go back to a stock flash. It is an explicit process to write and overwrite data.

All you can do is reset your ECU in which only the learned values (fuel trims, knock correction maps, IAM, etc) are lost and reset to "zeros".

If a reflash gets interrupted, there are a few possibilities:
1) The car won't start and/or run right because data is corrupt. The flash kernal won't load. You're screwed. ECU is toast, paperweight.
2) The car won't start and/or run right becuase data is corrupt. The ECU can be reflashed again with the correct data and it will be fine if the flash kernal can be loaded.
3) The car runs fine, but only the first half the ECU got flashed. Maybe it means nothing and you're fine, maybe you changed 5 maps since your last flash, but only 2 or 3 of them "made it" into the ECU.
4) The car runs fine, none of the flash made it because you interrupted it before it got to the part that was changed. (fwiw, EcuFlash only overwrites changed areas of the ECU to save time and wear, but it is possibly Ecutek overwrites the whole damn ECU every time)

There is no way that the ECU can get old data. It is not stored anywhere. When you flash an ECU, as soon as a byte is overwritten, the old data is GONE as far as the ECU is concerned. The ECU has no backups. The data is just GONE, period, and without your reflash tools and reflashing a backup you have on another system somewhere could not possibly revert to an older map. It's impossible.
Freon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 12:05 PM   #7
swift2fly
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 70810
Join Date: Sep 2004
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: e.LBCity, where my heart is at
Vehicle:
07 impreza STi
Jizz White.facial anyone?

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freon
Precisely. You cannot magically go back to a stock flash. It is an explicit process to write and overwrite data.

All you can do is reset your ECU in which only the learned values (fuel trims, knock correction maps, IAM, etc) are lost and reset to "zeros".

If a reflash gets interrupted, there are a few possibilities:
1) The car won't start and/or run right because data is corrupt. The flash kernal won't load. You're screwed. ECU is toast, paperweight.
2) The car won't start and/or run right becuase data is corrupt. The ECU can be reflashed again with the correct data and it will be fine if the flash kernal can be loaded.
3) The car runs fine, but only the first half the ECU got flashed. Maybe it means nothing and you're fine, maybe you changed 5 maps since your last flash, but only 2 or 3 of them "made it" into the ECU.
4) The car runs fine, none of the flash made it because you interrupted it before it got to the part that was changed. (fwiw, EcuFlash only overwrites changed areas of the ECU to save time and wear, but it is possibly Ecutek overwrites the whole damn ECU every time)

There is no way that the ECU can get old data. It is not stored anywhere. When you flash an ECU, as soon as a byte is overwritten, the old data is GONE as far as the ECU is concerned. The ECU has no backups. The data is just GONE, period, and without your reflash tools and reflashing a backup you have on another system somewhere could not possibly revert to an older map. It's impossible.

ok. cool. because right before the fuel leak fix my car ran perfectly fine. now i just need to figure out what is causing the issue. could it be that my ECU is toast by a short then? how can i find out that my ECU is fried?
swift2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:49 AM   #8
Gethin
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 2998
Join Date: Nov 2000
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: BC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
WRB

Default

Do you have any CEL's stored? Best way is to get a spare ECU if u can and try that, it would eliminate it once and for all. Make sure you have the TGV less map in there too.
Gethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is it possible to swap an 04 STi console into an 02 WRX? adrive43 Interior & Exterior Modification 21 07-17-2009 04:36 PM
is it possible to convert an r180 sti rear diff with an r160 FD? Benjamin Tang Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline 1 03-04-2004 12:26 AM
is it possible to change an impreza to 5x114??? D Spec Dc2 Brakes, Steering & Suspension 14 07-21-2003 02:03 AM
Is it possible to use an OBDII tool to log EGT's? LiquidForce Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.0L Turbo) 7 12-04-2001 06:01 PM
Is it possible to convert an auto to a manual? Supapooh General Forum Archive 10 03-03-2001 10:22 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2015 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.