Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday April 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-17-2001, 03:56 PM   #1
Coati
Scooby Guru

Member#: 9106
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon - PSM
2008 STI - Aspen White

Exclamation Interesting 2002? model safety issue...

If you read this thread:
http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...721#post997761
You'll see that SOA appears to be making a running safety change in (at least) WRXs.
Curious, no?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Coati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 04:55 PM   #2
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 FXT

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. It is an issue with the sub-bracket, not a safety issue. That was not an "official" SoA response, but something someone told me.

They are trying to find out specific details from engineers and I will post that info later.

Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2001, 05:57 PM   #3
Coati
Scooby Guru

Member#: 9106
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Wagon - PSM
2008 STI - Aspen White

Perhaps.

How many corporate beancounters would allow an automobile running change (spending $$) that precludes selling a $100+ option (losing potential $$)?
Wouldn't the engineers recommending the modification need to have a pretty good (non-molehill) reason?
Coati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 09:36 AM   #4
bluesubie
Scooby Guru

Member#: 767
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
04 FXT

Subaru, as well as most manufacturers, makes production changes often during the year. Usually it is seamless - but because of this bracket issue, folks are more aware. Earlier production vehicles passed all safety test for side impact. However, when an opportunity to make things evenbetter happens, they jump on it if they can. This was a minor production change that was not caused by any questionable safety test. Some changes are cost
related, etc. If it improves safety while they are at it, they do it.

If there was a problem, there would be a recall. NHTSA requires it and Subaru requires it. There isn't an "issue", so, no recall.

Dennis
bluesubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 11:59 AM   #5
Rebellion
Scooby Guru

Member#: 8069
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Sedona Red + Mud!

Spa2k
Quote:
I would be willing to bet that this is just a minor problem with the design of the subwoofer mounting bracket that causes it to come into contact somehow with the side impact bar in a serious crash. Perhaps when the side impact bar crushes, it pushes the subwoofer bracket out from under the seat—or at least something similar. I'd also be willing to bet that there is no issue with the original design of the side impact bar; if this were an issue, we'd be hearing about problems with the side impact bars not working. This problem only relates to vehicles with subwoofers, so maybe you'll get a recall notice and a new bracket if you already have a car that has one.
^- this is what I'd think the most logical cause is ... if you don't have the sub, it's probably not an issue. If you do... hmm I don't know.. I guess there may be a recall once the new bracket's available.

just my .02
Rebellion is offline   Reply With Quote