Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday December 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
kbcr3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44170
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Arlington, VA
Vehicle:
2010 Forester XT
05 and 09 honda ruckus

Default For those that have been following my possible move to WA...

For those that didn't see my thread earlier this month, i was offered a position at a large company just outside of seattle. the pay was about 29850 USD more than i get paid now. plus, bonus and stock and whatnot. i'd be doing the same work i'm doing now.

well, the plot thickens....

i was just offered another position with another firm (the one i'm currently consulting at) as chief privacy officer for the US. the pay is equal to the WA job, but the annual bonus is 100%.

WA position: 92k, plus bonus and stock annually.
NYC position: 92k, plus annual 100% bonus in either cash or stock.

WA drawbacks: moving across the US, uprooting my gf, leaving friends and family.
NYC drawbacks: long commute from norwalk to wall st., high property values in the northeast.


thoughts? i knew this whole thing wasn't going to be easy.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
kbcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:22 PM   #2
big_mac314
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 38251
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: NC
Default

100% bonus?

Have you accepted an offer with the WA company or just been offered?
big_mac314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
wonkothesane26
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 33362
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Now with 100% more mods!
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Sedan
Pockmarked/dented silver.

Default

boo hoo.

"My supermodel girlfriend will only let me do her doggy style, and I like missionary."
wonkothesane26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
kbcr3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44170
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Arlington, VA
Vehicle:
2010 Forester XT
05 and 09 honda ruckus

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_mac314
100% bonus?

Have you accepted an offer with the WA company or just been offered?
i've already met the hiring manager. i've already done the HR paperwork thing. The hiring manager told me that he wants me. he's already given me the numbers. the hiring manager is also my old boss.
kbcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
Vostok 7
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30209
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Get a real car.
Vehicle:
Do you need to
read this in Braille?

Default

Man really would be nice to make that kind of money

Vostok 7
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:28 PM   #6
big_mac314
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 38251
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: NC
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbcr3
i've already met the hiring manager. i've already done the HR paperwork thing. The hiring manager told me that he wants me. he's already given me the numbers. the hiring manager is also my old boss.
That's a tough call. It a beautiful part of the country, but obviously being that far away from family would be tough...
big_mac314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:29 PM   #7
kbcr3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44170
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Arlington, VA
Vehicle:
2010 Forester XT
05 and 09 honda ruckus

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vostok 7
Man really would be nice to make that kind of money

Vostok 7
i'm not yet. keep that in mind. i'm just in a niche market right now.

the thing is, my commute SUCKS right now. i'm looking at about 2 hours each way. if i take this, i'd have to move back to stamford. or somewhere south of that! i guess it would be better than moving across the US.
kbcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:31 PM   #8
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: SE Mass/RI
Vehicle:
2013 Crosstrek XV
00 Honda S2000

Default

How much is quality of life worth to you?

I guess what it comes down to is your long range goals for your life.

1) Move to Seattle, and start living a good quality of life while earning some decent bank.
2) Work in NYC, long commutes, never 'around' to do much on nights. But get paid much more and bank that bonus so in a couple years, you won't NEED the job anymore with a couple shrewd investments.

I would still take Seattle. Why? You can relax a bit more, and most likely have more free time right now, instead of after 5-10 years. But thats just me. I know people that'll work their ass off for 5-10 years, and all they have to show at the end is money.

I would also strongly weigh the opporunity for further advancement, and not knowing the companies, their capability to be merged/bought out in the future putting your 'new' job in jeopardy.

100% bonus of a job I hate because of the long commutes, but like the job just isn't worth it IMHO at this point in life.

IMHO... Seattle, and you can still bank some good money.

--kC
KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:31 PM   #9
kbcr3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44170
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Arlington, VA
Vehicle:
2010 Forester XT
05 and 09 honda ruckus

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_mac314
That's a tough call. It a beautiful part of the country, but obviously being that far away from family would be tough...
exactly. plus, i think it would be a pretty cool adventure. The name on the resume would also look great! actually, both companies are huge! the WA one is much larger though.

i've already accepted the fact that i might need to leave my family behind.
kbcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:33 PM   #10
Vostok 7
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 30209
Join Date: Nov 2002
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Get a real car.
Vehicle:
Do you need to
read this in Braille?

Default

BTW, I would choose WA simply because I love it here and I hate NYC.

Vostok 7
Vostok 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:34 PM   #11
Charge
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3313
Join Date: Dec 2000
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati
Default

Niche market? Well, which position looks more stable long term?

That bonus isn't gauranteed either. Even if they say it is...there's no gaurantee you'll get that money at the end of the year. So will taking that NYC job at $92k still be a decent salary for all that's involved?
Charge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #12
ZMANNH25rs
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 9401
Join Date: Aug 2001
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Bis dat, qui cito dat...
Vehicle:
. Truth is a
pathless land...

Default

you can always move back...I always felt people stayed rooted too often...get up and live a little...it won't cause you to go broke. Worst case sceanrio...you hate WA and move back home in a couple of years...
ZMANNH25rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #13
EZ Rider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 38224
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbcr3
For those that didn't see my thread earlier this month, i was offered a position at a large company just outside of seattle. the pay was about 29850 USD more than i get paid now. plus, bonus and stock and whatnot. i'd be doing the same work i'm doing now.

well, the plot thickens....

i was just offered another position with another firm (the one i'm currently consulting at) as chief privacy officer for the US. the pay is equal to the WA job, but the annual bonus is 100%.

WA position: 92k, plus bonus and stock annually.
NYC position: 92k, plus annual 100% bonus in either cash or stock.

WA drawbacks: moving across the US, uprooting my gf, leaving friends and family.
NYC drawbacks: long commute from norwalk to wall st., high property values in the northeast.


thoughts? i knew this whole thing wasn't going to be easy.
Damn man. That's tough. Guaranteed 100% bonus? Wonder what the pay/cost of living ratio is between the two places... especially since the place out here is putting you up for a while (I thought?).

A position like that is a great career move, depending on what you want your path to be... might be worth the headache of commuting for a couple years.
EZ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #14
EZ Rider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 38224
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC
How much is quality of life worth to you?

I guess what it comes down to is your long range goals for your life.

1) Move to Seattle, and start living a good quality of life while earning some decent bank.
2) Work in NYC, long commutes, never 'around' to do much on nights. But get paid much more and bank that bonus so in a couple years, you won't NEED the job anymore with a couple shrewd investments.

I would still take Seattle. Why? You can relax a bit more, and most likely have more free time right now, instead of after 5-10 years. But thats just me. I know people that'll work their ass off for 5-10 years, and all they have to show at the end is money.

I would also strongly weigh the opporunity for further advancement, and not knowing the companies, their capability to be merged/bought out in the future putting your 'new' job in jeopardy.

100% bonus of a job I hate because of the long commutes, but like the job just isn't worth it IMHO at this point in life.

IMHO... Seattle, and you can still bank some good money.

--kC
Now there's some good advice.
EZ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #15
kbcr3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44170
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Arlington, VA
Vehicle:
2010 Forester XT
05 and 09 honda ruckus

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC
How much is quality of life worth to you?

I guess what it comes down to is your long range goals for your life.

1) Move to Seattle, and start living a good quality of life while earning some decent bank.
2) Work in NYC, long commutes, never 'around' to do much on nights. But get paid much more and bank that bonus so in a couple years, you won't NEED the job anymore with a couple shrewd investments.

I would still take Seattle. Why? You can relax a bit more, and most likely have more free time right now, instead of after 5-10 years. But thats just me. I know people that'll work their ass off for 5-10 years, and all they have to show at the end is money.

I would also strongly weigh the opporunity for further advancement, and not knowing the companies, their capability to be merged/bought out in the future putting your 'new' job in jeopardy.

100% bonus of a job I hate because of the long commutes, but like the job just isn't worth it IMHO at this point in life.

IMHO... Seattle, and you can still bank some good money.

--kC
kC, well put. the other thing to add is that my gf would be going to WA with me. we've been living together for over a year and a ring will be coming soon. i just need to get some money together. the WA job is an international position. i'd be traveling quite a bit. being that my gf wouldn't know anyone out there, i hesitate to take a position where i'm gone for weeks at a time. that's along the lines of "being around". the nyc job would require international travel every 8 weeks or so.

and you're right. seattle "life" would be much nicer. i wouldn't have looked to move out there if i really liked the tri-state. i could actually afford a house out there!!
kbcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:39 PM   #16
EZ Rider
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 38224
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbcr3
kC, well put. the other thing to add is that my gf would be going to WA with me. we've been living together for over a year and a ring will be coming soon. i just need to get some money together. the WA job is an international position. i'd be traveling quite a bit. being that my gf wouldn't know anyone out there, i hesitate to take a position where i'm gone for weeks at a time. that's along the lines of "being around". the nyc job would require international travel every 8 weeks or so.

and you're right. seattle "life" would be much nicer. i wouldn't have looked to move out there if i really liked the tri-state. i could actually afford a house out there!!
People are really friendly for the most part around here, if she got a job she'd have no problem making friends.
EZ Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:43 PM   #17
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: SE Mass/RI
Vehicle:
2013 Crosstrek XV
00 Honda S2000

Default

Would your GF be able to travel on some of the trips with you? Take a couple extra days on the trip to spend with her?

Might make it worth it for the both of you if you both can do some travelling. You get paid to go out and come back. Usually, hotel too. Just her airfare is in the way.

Unless it's Banzai travelling one day one place, one day the next... or with a couple others.... even then, you're getting vacation time to use, no? Use it on the road. Fly your GF out to/with you for some trips.

This way, she's not 'always' alone and can look forward to those trips. Sometimes, that makes up for the time you spend away.

In NY... Leaving at 5am and coming home at 7-8pm... the only time you'll be spending together is not much. Add on your commute "stresses" and that makes it 2 hr commute coming home after a long day of work.. and you're beat. 5 days a week.

I did 1.5 hrs to Boston and surrounding areas for about 8 months. Money was good.. just not worth it.

--kC
KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:44 PM   #18
Master2192
RIP 10/12/83 to 02/10/08
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 83254
Join Date: Mar 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Roy, Washington
Vehicle:
98 2.5 RS
04 WRX

Default

haha, so you make like 70k a year and Drive a Ruckus as a daily driver? You are one smart guy

I guess the question is, do you want a really long commute everyday? Washington would be a nice change of living, especially if you find somewhere to live that isn't a 2 hour drive to work. I don't know how property values affect you at that income level though. My commute is only 15 minutes for me, I'd pick short commute over alittle bit more money.
Master2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:47 PM   #19
kbcr3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44170
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Arlington, VA
Vehicle:
2010 Forester XT
05 and 09 honda ruckus

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Rider
Damn man. That's tough. Guaranteed 100% bonus? Wonder what the pay/cost of living ratio is between the two places... especially since the place out here is putting you up for a while (I thought?).

A position like that is a great career move, depending on what you want your path to be... might be worth the headache of commuting for a couple years.
no, its not guaranteed. the woman i'd be replacing has gotten it for the past 3 out of 3 years though. the bonus at the WA position wouldn't be guaranteed either.

and yeah, the WA job would pay our rent for a year.

either move would be great. my pay at my current job is structured. it moves up every year at set levels. there's no ability to jump ahead. it breeds mediocrity.

from everything i've heard, seattle is a really cool place. the weather isn't the greatest, but overall its a great place. it HAS to be better than nyc.
kbcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:48 PM   #20
KC
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 442
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: SE Mass/RI
Vehicle:
2013 Crosstrek XV
00 Honda S2000

Default

Commute to NYC in the winter < Commute to Seattle in the winter.
KC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:50 PM   #21
24
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39142
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Vienna, VA
Vehicle:
Memb er#: 39142
Join Date: Jun 2003

Default

If you lose the job in Seattle for whatever reason, how are the job prospects there vs. NYC?
24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:51 PM   #22
kbcr3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44170
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Arlington, VA
Vehicle:
2010 Forester XT
05 and 09 honda ruckus

Default

for cost of living:

making 90k in nyc gives you the same thing at 70k in seattle.

the WA position would make my money go further.
kbcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #23
kbcr3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44170
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Arlington, VA
Vehicle:
2010 Forester XT
05 and 09 honda ruckus

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmomentum
If you lose the job in Seattle for whatever reason, how are the job prospects there vs. NYC?
i work for the big-4 right now, so i can easily just go back to one of the big-4 companies. interviewing would be a technicality.
kbcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #24
24
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39142
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Vienna, VA
Vehicle:
Memb er#: 39142
Join Date: Jun 2003

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbcr3
i work for the big-4 right now, so i can easily just go back to one of the big-4 companies. interviewing would be a technicality.
Right, but are there plenty of positions available in Seattle, or would you have to relocate?
24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:55 PM   #25
kbcr3
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44170
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Arlington, VA
Vehicle:
2010 Forester XT
05 and 09 honda ruckus

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master2192
haha, so you make like 70k a year and Drive a Ruckus as a daily driver? You are one smart guy

hahahaa... yeah. its my effort to be economical. i just can't justify using a turbo awd car that runs 93 octane to go pickup milk. plus, i'm a dork.
kbcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Work is sending me to Rome for 3 weeks in November, from those that have been there.. Mud Pig Off-Topic 23 09-25-2009 10:37 PM
For those that have been to Gingerman... JM530 Mid West Subaru Owners Club Forum -- MWSOC 7 10-02-2005 04:21 PM
Quick questions for those that have swapped from a 1.8 to a 2.5. EcksJay Subaru Conversions 16 05-06-2005 06:47 AM
For those that have been following my Custom Coilover Build STiTuner Brakes, Steering & Suspension 13 08-20-2004 04:47 AM
For those that have been to Cobb Tuning Tex-WReX2 Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 6 04-09-2002 03:59 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.