Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday November 26, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Engine Management & Tuning > AccessPort

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #1
BenWeavdog
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 106215
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1989 Toyota
SR5

Default Unable to reflash base map

Im not sure if this is a problem anyone else has encountered, but I hope so because I need some suggestions.
In february I purchased a new accessport, and flashed to stage one. The cable that came with my a.p. wouldnt power the unit, so the vendor sent me a new cable. I tried it briefly, and saw that it powered the a.p. just fine. I had borrowed a friends cable so I had already been able to reflash to stage one. (in other words, I have yet to get a successful reflash out of my new cable)

After installing a new exhaust today, I tried to reflash to stage 2. The green and white clips are both in place. After an hour of trying I am still getting the same message, "initializing ecu", followed by "turn key off completely, and turn back on". I cant get it past this step. I have read the instructions twice today, and double checked things but still no clue.

Here are my guesses:
Another bad cable?
some sort of interference from my aftermarket alarm?

other than that, I am at a loss. I Hope this is something I have simply overlooked. Any help is appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by BenWeavdog; 07-02-2006 at 10:50 PM.
BenWeavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 11:47 PM   #2
hondaeater69
Scooby Guru

Member#: 60324

i doubt it's anything with the alarm. Simple test: try your friends cable again. If it works it's your cable that would be my guess (it's the cable).
hondaeater69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:22 AM   #3
BenWeavdog
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1989 Toyota
SR5

Alright, later this afternoon I am going to try to get my hands on another cable and try again. Thanks guys.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
Turn in Concepts
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 93646
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
Many Track Records
Let us help you go fast!

Did you hti the enter button after turning the car back on?
Turn in Concepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
BenWeavdog
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1989 Toyota
SR5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn in Concepts
Did you hti the enter button after turning the car back on?
yes. In the instructions it also says that on the 05's you can skip turning the car off and just press enter. I tried both techniques. sometimes i got a "error, please try operation again", other times it just continues that "turn car off, then on" loop over and over.

called subaru of dallas, a new cable is on its way. Even though this has been a headache, hot-subaru.com has been pretty good about support. They got me my Cobb heat shield in 2 days.
Old 07-04-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
ihavebettersound
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 74882
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2004 WRX
JBP Cobb Stage II

I was in the same exact situation just yesterday. I couldn't get the base map to switch, yet I was able to switch real time maps. I finally started messing with the pins on the end of the AP cable that go into the diagnostic port along with the diagnostic port. Just kinda pushed down on the wires on top of the diagnostic port, thinking there was a loose connection. After doing those two things, everything worked fine!
ihavebettersound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #7
BenWeavdog
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1989 Toyota
SR5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavebettersound
I was in the same exact situation just yesterday. I couldn't get the base map to switch, yet I was able to switch real time maps. I finally started messing with the pins on the end of the AP cable that go into the diagnostic port along with the diagnostic port. Just kinda pushed down on the wires on top of the diagnostic port, thinking there was a loose connection. After doing those two things, everything worked fine!
I was thinking along the same lines as you. I fiddled a little with the connections, but still no luck.
Hopefully my friend will be back tonight and let me use his cable. Otherwise, I will just wait for the new cable to arrive. Its kind of fun to get a chance to drive with just the new turbo-back, to feel the difference before the reflash.
Old 07-04-2006, 05:01 PM   #8
ihavebettersound
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
JBP Cobb Stage II

Oh, and I decided to completely unmarry the AP from my car, then flashed to Stage 2. Maybe that's what did it.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #9
BenWeavdog
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1989 Toyota
SR5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihavebettersound
Oh, and I decided to completely unmarry the AP from my car, then flashed to Stage 2. Maybe that's what did it.
Tried that too. I ended up in the same darn loop. Kind of a bummer, but I am almost certain a different cable will fix this problem. I will post the results as soon as I get another one.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #10
ihavebettersound
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
JBP Cobb Stage II

Yeah I would like to know if that works. Hope it does!
Old 07-07-2006, 10:49 PM   #11
BenWeavdog
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1989 Toyota
SR5

Update:
Recieved a new diagport cable today from subaru of dallas.
Tried the procedure again, and on first try was able to reflash to stage 2 base and real time. Thanks for the help guys, it was the cable without a doubt.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:47 PM   #12
hondaeater69
Scooby Guru

Member#: 60324

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWeavdog
Update:
Recieved a new diagport cable today from subaru of dallas.
Tried the procedure again, and on first try was able to reflash to stage 2 base and real time. Thanks for the help guys, it was the cable without a doubt.

glad to hear it worked out for ya
hondaeater69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:12 PM   #13
ihavebettersound
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX
JBP Cobb Stage II

Good stuff!
Old 03-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
2004ImpressYa
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 346668
Vehicle:
2004 Subaru WRX
WR Blue

Im going to jump in here so I wont create an entirely new post. I just put on a downpipe and I am about to go stage 2 from stage 1. do I have to connect the test mode plugs and the green plug to flash ECU to stage 2? or can I just do it as its connected to the ECU only as if I was using the logs, etc??? Please help ASAP.
2004ImpressYa is offline   Reply With Quote