Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday November 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #1
eurojax
Review Crew

Member#: 34269
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
Only marginally
funny.

Default Filmmakers: Equipment review & questions!!!

The still guys get their own thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ht=photography

There are a suprising number of filmmakers in OT, from randoms like me to serious professionals, so as the thread states, go!

I'll start first.

Is there a simple way to organize? I'll record 10 minutes of just random banter back and forth with my parents "documentary style", using J/L-cuts, but the entire time I'm having to rewatch the full thing just to grab a specific portion of video, put it in, go back, do the same, etc.

I understand storyboarding, but that seems to take just as much time to lay out specific ideas and such. I'm starting to think it's best to think like an editor while you're filming instead of trying to be artistic and having copious amounts of unusable film. Any suggestions on how to not get bogged down like that?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
eurojax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
JasonF
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 44725
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
2004 WRX wrb

I have a Shot Sheet that I made up where I can write down various info about the shot like timecode, filters, f-stop, shutter speed, angle (A1, A2, B, C...), etc... That way, I can batch capture all shots from angle B or whatever into one file using timecode points. Also, if a shot ends up too dark or over-filtered, I can tell just by looking at the sheet, if I have other shots that might work better from that angle.

It also functions as sort of a checklist to make sure I set everything for each shot.

Is that kind of what you're talking about?

I don't like storyboarding- I can't draw for ****.
JasonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #3
JasonF
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX wrb

See this.

Edit: Actually, I don't have shutter speed on there- I always leave that at 1/60.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:28 PM   #4
BUstang
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 115504
Vehicle:
2012 Boss 302
Kona Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurojax
The still guys get their own thread: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ht=photography

Is there a simple way to organize? I'll record 10 minutes of just random banter back and forth with my parents "documentary style", using J/L-cuts, but the entire time I'm having to rewatch the full thing just to grab a specific portion of video, put it in, go back, do the same, etc.

I understand storyboarding, but that seems to take just as much time to lay out specific ideas and such. I'm starting to think it's best to think like an editor while you're filming instead of trying to be artistic and having copious amounts of unusable film. Any suggestions on how to not get bogged down like that?
Batch capture bro, when you capture you can set individual "clips". Basically, you tell the computer the beggining and end of this clip (time-code), it's description and name. Just start your tape from beggining to end and do this. It takes longer but putting together a video is about 1000x easier. The only reason why you shouldn't do this is if you have "breaks" in the tape; you went and viewed part of your video before u plugged it into the computer, it creates a short 5 second break or so from the last thing you shot before you viewed that segment, then it starts over it again with whatever u start recording afterwards. The computer will get confused because it will see multiple duplicate time-codes.

Sorry if that explanation isn't very helpful/what you were even looking for.. if you have more inquiry on it just post and i'll try to lay out my thoughts better.
BUstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:12 AM   #5
JasonF
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX wrb

Might as well get this thread going again...

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/
For years I shunned this thing off, thinking "It's just a stupid counter-weight" and "Without gyroscopes and dampers, it can't do anthing like a real steadicam"...
Then I came across an extra $40 and bought one.
I had to eat my words. It works great. The sample clips don't really tell you much- You will notice a difference when you operate it though.

Well worth the money if you do a lot of handheld shots; especially if you intend to move around at all.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:41 AM   #6
eurojax
Review Crew

Vehicle:
Only marginally
funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF
Might as well get this thread going again...

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/steadycam/
For years I shunned this thing off, thinking "It's just a stupid counter-weight" and "Without gyroscopes and dampers, it can't do anthing like a real steadicam"...
Then I came across an extra $40 and bought one.
I had to eat my words. It works great. The sample clips don't really tell you much- You will notice a difference when you operate it though.

Well worth the money if you do a lot of handheld shots; especially if you intend to move around at all.

I made that just last night, without seeing your reply to this thread. Mine looks a little different though, as I couldn't find a weight like he has.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:26 PM   #7
JasonF
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX wrb

Bump from the dead!
Not really "filmmaking equipment" per se, but that's what I'm using it for.

Cheap-ass video assist!
http://www.polaroid.com/global/detai...bmLocale=en_US

The sweet/useful thing about these is that they are 16:9 aspect ratio and have video in capability. I like to shoot using 16:9 ratio so that I can burn the stuff to DVD and play as progressive scan to my TV (which forces widescreen ratio when receiving a progressive scan video). Unfortunately, I never REALLY know what it looks like until I can get home and either capture it or hook it up to the TV.

This is really useless for anyone with a newer HD camera but for those of us still using old 4:3 ratio viewfinders, this is pretty sweet; especially for $120. The only problem is that it isn't battery powered, so you're on a leash.
Old 02-19-2007, 08:11 PM   #8
tom@kartboy
NASIOC Vendor

Member#: 67
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
1999 Outlasting
the competition.

i borrowed a friends Sony fx1 hdv camera today. anyone use one or have any coments about it?

seems like a decent build and the quality seems nice.

Tom
tom@kartboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #9
Chewyguru
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 7003
Chapter/Region: BAIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUstang View Post
Batch capture bro, when you capture you can set individual "clips". Basically, you tell the computer the beggining and end of this clip (time-code), it's description and name. Just start your tape from beggining to end and do this. It takes longer but putting together a video is about 1000x easier. The only reason why you shouldn't do this is if you have "breaks" in the tape.
Good reply. I guess people should state their computer type and editing software.

In Final Cut you batch capture. Basically you review the tape as you go and log the clips. When this was invented man did it make everything easier.

Alternately you could start a new timeline and cut your master clip into smaller segments with the blade tool in that timeline. Label it appropriatly and pull your clips from that timeline.

Eurojax: So much of making a film is in the way you shoot. So yes if you have foresight and a vision as to what your project is you can shoot it in such a way that you know all the segments you have recorded and what to use.
In professional situations someone keeps track of that stuff for you. You need to do your best to emulate that. That means knowing what you have captured at the end of the day and keeping simple notes.

As far as film making if you have an idea of what you are doing you are going to have a hell of a lot of an easier time making your film and getting people to help you.

What you are talking about seems closest to what I would term "archival media" that is to say recorded material on a topic without an intended product.

I use Final Cut HD and I use a ton of workarounds.
Here's one for you more seasoned veterans. If you are working in the timeline and there is a clip you want to end where the cursor is, instead of either using the drag or cut tools, or opening the clip and manually setting the in point, double click the clip and hit i. I'm too lazy to explain better.

Last edited by Chewyguru; 02-19-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Chewyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:11 PM   #10
Chewyguru
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@kartboy View Post
i borrowed a friends Sony fx1 hdv camera today. anyone use one or have any coments about it?

seems like a decent build and the quality seems nice.

Tom
A decent camera part of the whole ridiculous HD hype due to the network television HD content scramble. If you use it buy HD tapes and shoot in HDV.
They are a real hassle to log as most people don't actually have HD decks so you have to use the camera to log the tapes. It's a great camera unless you are making a film. If you are making a film I'd wait for the 24P version.

I'm being pressured to use these cameras on my film. I actually prefer the Panasonic 24P. They are the best looking camera on the market. I have lived by Sony cameras. Shot a ton of stuff on PD-150's and PD-170's. (Sony 3 chip non-HD miniDV.)I'm a big fan of their products.

In short. Yeah it's a good camera. It's HD isn't great. I can't imagine that you would need more camera that that.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #11
itimebomb
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 98391

Wow this is old, but I'll comment. Yes it's better to think in terms of editing. Always! It's a science, and it's very easy to have something turn out bad. 2 angles that don't cut together well perhaps, or maybe not having the right b-roll.

I do a lot of shooting at my job, but 90% of my work is editing. When you run into so much of what doesn't work by other people you'll get a feeling of what you want upfront. Practice makes perfect, as cliche as it is.

And I only edit on Avid's now.
itimebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:24 PM   #12
Chewyguru
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimebomb View Post
And I only edit on Avid's now.
Why? I am not questioning how much better the FX are. Just want to know why.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:47 PM   #13
tom@kartboy
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
1999 Outlasting
the competition.

Thanks for the verbage.

i know a decent amount on SLR digital cameras but almost none on video.
my friend's friend works for sony so i could get one for next to nothing type deal...
another friend bought final cut proHD but never used it so i have that now.

i was thinking of making a DVD install and whatnot. i know i'd either have to film in non HD or convert everything..

what would you recommend for a camera?
Old 02-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #14
Chewyguru
Scooby Newbie

Quote:

i was thinking of making a DVD install and whatnot. i know i'd either have to film in non HD or convert everything..

what would you recommend for a camera?
I don't understand the first part.

As for a camera recomendation. What are you using it for? The Sony FX1 is something a lot of people are trying to get rid of because a better version is coming out. They're good but they are going to be outdated within a few months if that even matters to you.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:09 PM   #15
tom@kartboy
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
1999 Outlasting
the competition.

sorry
i meant to say a DVD that shows how to install all of our parts and a "tour" of the shop. promo type stuff.

Tom
Old 02-19-2007, 11:16 PM   #16
Chewyguru
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
sorry
i meant to say a DVD that shows how to install all of our parts and a "tour" of the shop. promo type stuff.

Tom
Yeah this camera will be great for that. If you can get a good price go for it.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:34 PM   #17
tom@kartboy
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
1999 Outlasting
the competition.

Thanks for the info. i'll see what he can do for a price. i think its like 1600 for the complete setup with a hardcase.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:22 AM   #18
dgaseven
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 37125

Sony FX1 is a decent cam. 1600 is nice for a complete setup too. Considering
a brand new one will cost you about 3500 from B&H. Like Chewyguru said the
HD isn't all that great but makes for great SD(standard definition) footage when
scaled down.

Make sure the tape heads are in good shape before you buy! Ask him what
kind of tapes he has been using in the cam. There are two kinds of tape
lubricants dry and wet. Overtime mixing wet tapes with dry tapes
gunks up the heads!

I prefer the Panasonics myself although the Canon models are making me
wanna switch.
dgaseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:24 AM   #19
tom@kartboy
NASIOC Vendor

Vehicle:
1999 Outlasting
the competition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaseven View Post
Sony FX1 is a decent cam. 1600 is nice for a complete setup too. Considering
a brand new one will cost you about 3500 from B&H. Like Chewyguru said the
HD isn't all that great but makes for great SD(standard definition) footage when
scaled down.

Make sure the tape heads are in good shape before you buy! Ask him what
kind of tapes he has been using in the cam. There are two kinds of tape
lubricants dry and wet. Overtime mixing wet tapes with dry tapes
gunks up the heads!

I prefer the Panasonics myself although the Canon models are making me
wanna switch.

Thanks for the tips also. it would be a NIB camera if i got one. i just borrowed his to see if i liked it at all.

Tom
Old 02-20-2007, 12:51 AM   #20
itimebomb
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 98391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewyguru View Post
Why? I am not questioning how much better the FX are. Just want to know why.
Univeral capatability. For various file formats, to compatability with other programs. It's just the standard, and always has been. I've edited on FCP before, as well as Premiere and a little Vegas. It helps that at work that's all I can edit on (although we were running a mac with FCP and it was a headache to go back and forth between the two), but all my at home projects are now done on avid software as well.

I do find fault with how the machines are built from time to time, but for the most part they are built solid as is the software. The ability to render effects natively in real time with multiple layers of effects is awesome.

They are just streamlined, but still clean. I can shoot a news anchor, import the XDCAM data, import file footage from a beta tape, and have a 15 second spot ready to air for TV in under 5 minutes.
itimebomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:08 AM   #21
DoctorNick
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 7022
Vehicle:
heh, DC ITCA are
my rides

What Dv stocks are you guys using?
DoctorNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 02:21 PM   #22
dgaseven
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 37125

we run the gammut over here from cheap VHS throw aways to BetaSP
and Digibeta. All three of the digibeta decks in our dept keep breaking down.
We have nothing but Avids down here as well.

We have had a few spots shot on MiniDV with Panny DVX100's and JVC
HD100U's for the film look.
dgaseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:11 PM   #23
eurojax
Review Crew

Vehicle:
Only marginally
funny.

Anyone know a good tutorial on making your own lighting kit?

I'm thinking about getting 3 shop lights, some bakers paper (to turn the light from yellow to white) and fashioning some barn doors out of cardboard.

Will I fail?
Old 02-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #24
JasonF
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 WRX wrb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurojax View Post
Anyone know a good tutorial on making your own lighting kit?

I'm thinking about getting 3 shop lights, some bakers paper (to turn the light from yellow to white) and fashioning some barn doors out of cardboard.

Will I fail?
No tutorial, but:
Shop lights + paper/cardboard [most likely]= FAIL^2

You're shooting on video right? Doesn't your camera have white balance options? If so, color temp shouldn't really be much of an issue. As for the barn doors, I'd use aluminum if possible.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:00 AM   #25
eurojax
Review Crew

Vehicle:
Only marginally
funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
No tutorial, but:
Shop lights + paper/cardboard [most likely]= FAIL^2

You're shooting on video right? Doesn't your camera have white balance options? If so, color temp shouldn't really be much of an issue. As for the barn doors, I'd use aluminum if possible.
Yeah, not worried about color temp, plus all the color correction options in premiere.

I'm going to "attempt" to make one tomorrow. If it's successful, I'll probably make a 2nd one for a fill and maybe a third for back. I'll also probably try to find a dimmer switch to do the "fill must be 50% light output of the key" thing.