Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:22 PM   #1
ts01
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 209211
Default OT(?) - 2011 Impreza OB Sport v 2014/2015 XV Crosstek

I'm pondering either a 2011 Impreza OB Sport or a new XV Crosstek as my next vehicle, for commuting in NY/CT and chasing snow upstate NY / New England come ski season. I realize neither of these is a WRX or STI, but I imagine the NASIOC community could offer some input.

There are a lot of 2011's coming off lease, including a nice low mileage specimen at my local dealer with good maintenance records.

Obviously the 2011 would come at a lower cost but that's not the main factor, and the better mileage in the XV, and hopefully lower maintenance cost with no timing belt to replace, could help justify buying new.

I'd get 5 MT in either car so the AT v. CVT question is moot.

What concerns me with the Crosstek is the low HP / torque with the 2.0 engine. My wife had a 2012 Impreza CVT for a little over a year and ended up trading for an Outback 3.6R, because the Impreza felt small and underpowered. I'm OK with the size (since we have the big OB, and I'll put a Thule box on top), but the underpowered bit is the bigger issue. And of course the 2012+ Impreza and Crosstek share the same engine and drivetrain.

Not that I need a sports car but of all the Subarus we've owned, the best of the bunch was a 2006 OBXT. The 3.6R is a bit of a beast; and a 2006 Impreza 2.5i wagon with Whiteline swaybars seemed just right, until I had to spend $2K+ on a headgasket repair. And the 2012 Impreza + CVT was not a keeper.

Looking at power/weight figures it seems like the 2011 Impreza OB Sport would drive better than the current Crosstek - but I have no experience with the 2008-2011 generation Impreza, and don't know if the headgasket issues were cleared up by then.

2014/2015 Forester is also on the short list but it's bigger than I really need and with the Thule box on top would not clear the garage at my office.

Any thoughts? (Other than "get a WRX"!)

Thanks.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
ts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
Loyale93
Scooby Guru

Member#: 91347
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
'13 XV Crosstrek,
1050 Triumph Speed Triple

Crosstrek. Say it with me.
Loyale93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #3
ts01
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyale93 View Post
Crosstrek. Say it with me.
Because ... ?

Let's say you're carrying a passenger and some gear in back (ie, driver + 400 lbs) and bikes or skis up top (ie wind resistance) - and you're trying to merge from a short uphill entrance ramp onto a highway with big trucks going 70mph. Still Crosstek?
Old 07-10-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
sc00by4life
Scooby Guru

Member#: 97135
Chapter/Region: NWIC

hes poking fun because you misspelled in the thread title.

Me and the wife went in to look at the new crosstrek last november, ended up leaving with a fully loaded '13 impreza sport.

drivability felt the same. the only REAL difference is standard features. Is the crosstrek more "off road" capable? Sure. But is that going to make up a majority of your driving? If not, might be something to consider.

I was able to walk away with a fully optioned out impreza sport limited out the door for slightly less than the entry level price for the crosstrek.
sc00by4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
Loyale93
Scooby Guru

Member#: 91347
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
'13 XV Crosstrek,
1050 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts01 View Post
Because ... ?

Let's say you're carrying a passenger and some gear in back (ie, driver + 400 lbs) and bikes or skis up top (ie wind resistance) - and you're trying to merge from a short uphill entrance ramp onto a highway with big trucks going 70mph. Still Crosstek?
Crosstrek

I drive the Crosstrek in a 5MT. power has never been an issue for general daily driving. I don't jump out into traffic like I do with my motorcycle or like I used to with my STi.

If I'm carrying a bazillion pounds, I plan ahead while driving. I get maximum speed on the uphill entrance ramp and make sure there are no trucks going to make me go splat.

Trucks and large (relatively slow) moving vehicles have been around for decades. Do you think that people who drove Beetles or GL's or Camry's 25 years ago had major issues? No, they just don't assume the car has mucho power and drive with their brain in conjunction with the right foot.
Loyale93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #6
ts01
Scooby Newbie

Duh. Crosstrek it is. Speling rite iz hart.

Current Impreza just sits too low - our 2012 Impreza scraped every time it entered or exited our driveway. Offroading it ain't - just steeply angled. But in the winter we do hit a lot of potholes and mud so the extra clearance of the Crosstrek would make sense.

Loyale93 - thanks. I'm not opposed to planning ahead. But I'm also occasionally in situations where there is no planning, just reacting. Usually it's the brake pedal but sometimes it's the gas to just get out. Frankly my current car (2002 CRV 5MT) is a little underpowered but high revs in 3d gear is the solution. Power/weight for the CRV is roughly the same for the Crosstrek. Hence my concern with the Crosstrek and interest in the more powerful 2011 Impreza - in OB Sport form which is lifted and has the all weather package (heated windshield and mirrors, etc.).