Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday September 20, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-31-2000, 05:46 PM   #1
Nigel
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1919
Vehicle:
1994 Legacy Turbo
Silver

Post JC Sports Intake

Well, after nearly 7 weeks of hounding JC Sports, and three charges to my fathers Mastercard Bill, my JC Sports Intake kit for my '94 Legacy turbo finally arrived. Was it worth the hastle? Hardly! The only useful part of the kit is the filter and the machined adaptor to connect the filter to the MAS. The tubing connecting the MAS to the turbo is nothing more than about $10 worth of ill-fitting plumbing supplies. The nipples for the secondary canister purge hose and one of the manifold pressure sensor hoses are too small. The nipple for the large air bypass hose is no where near being close enough to actualy attach to that hose. And finally, there was no bracket included to support the MAS and filter! It looks nothing like the piece they sent me a picture of way back when I first started making inquires.

Fortunately, in the end, JC Sports was kind enough not to charge me for the intake, and they did credit my fathers account within a week. But, I kind of wonder if they just threw together some cheap parts to offset the cost of giving me the kit for free.

From what I've learned from reading old posts, my experiences with JC Sports are nothing new. Unfortunately, I didn't find this forum until it was too late. But I will never buy from them again!

Shiv: If you read this, I saw in another post that you have made up your own intake. I'd like to see any pictures you may have.

Nigel
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2000, 06:29 PM   #2
AWDBat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 1983
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2008 STi
Dark Grey Metallic

Thumbs down

Sorry man,
JC Sports has a history of crappy service, and not just with individuals, but also with tuning garages as well. I had the exact same problem with the die cut gauges I ordered from them - they first sent me the wrong ones and took forever (3mos.) to get the right set. Also the intake for my '95 didn't come with instructions, so a 45min job took twice as long! I'd love to support the private Subaru tuners out there, but JC needs to clean up their act. Take care.
AWDBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2000, 04:23 PM   #3
Nigel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 Legacy Turbo
Silver

Sorry Shik! Don't know where I got Shiv from...

What you described is what I had in mind. A friend of mine does stainless exhaust systems, so I may see what he can come up with. I know what you mean about the under hood temps, and I've been trying to think of the best possible solution. This is all probably going to have to wait for a while though, because I have so much work to do on my 240Z. I was really hoping this intake was indeed a 100% bolt on in 30 minutes or less kit. What a joke!

Nigel
Old 08-01-2000, 04:23 PM   #4
Nigel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 Legacy Turbo
Silver

Sorry Shik! Don't know where I got Shiv from...

What you described is what I had in mind. A friend of mine does stainless exhaust systems, so I may see what he can come up with. I know what you mean about the under hood temps, and I've been trying to think of the best possible solution. This is all probably going to have to wait for a while though, because I have so much work to do on my 240Z. I was really hoping this intake was indeed a 100% bolt on in 30 minutes or less kit. What a joke!

Nigel
Old 08-01-2000, 05:33 PM   #5
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 GT Ltd 5spd sdn
2015 WRX 6spd CWP

To be honest, I was actually seeing about getting an intake made that bolts right to the turbo and makes a gradual right hand bend over towards the fender. This would eliminate the two not-so-great flowing 90 degree bends before the turbo. I'm thinking it may help a bit in spool-up time. This set-up was used on the WRC Impreza up until this year as well as the first Impreza Turbo that Sport Compact Car did( The blue one, not their current one). If you do get your buddy to make you one, this might be another option. I know there is alot of junk in the way down there but you might be able to get around it.

As soon as my Galant VR4 is working ok, I want to focus a bit more attention on the Legacy. If that intake works, I may get a few made if the Legacy Turbo guys would be interested. We'll see.
Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2000, 10:47 PM   #6
DLC
out back

Member#: 1964
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
01 BH
Blue/Bronze

If i can get a Turbo, and that works, i'd be interested in anything to get the air going in faster.

I got to drive a 97 Jetta VR6, Audi A4 1.8T and A4 2.8Quattro today.

I wasn't terribly impressed by the 1.8T but it was a slushbox and that's a big car. The 2.8 was nice but not amazing. Too bad we didn't test out that S4...
DLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 12:00 AM   #7
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 GT Ltd 5spd sdn
2015 WRX 6spd CWP

Nigel, I am assuming you meant Shik and not Shiv( at least I hope )

Anyways, that's their "economy" intake that I mentioned about while back. At least you got the two most important pieces for free. My intake is ULTRA simple and I had my local exhaust guy make it for me. It is basically just a piece of aluminum tubing a few inches long that has a slight bend in it on the filter side. Then he just put in two fittings, one for the idle air control valve( big hose) and one for the vacumn line connection. Then you just need one connection for the filter adapter-to-intake and you are set. You'll also need a longer hose for the IACV which you can find at just about anywhere. It does sound really plain and simple, but Apex-i makes a practically IDENTICAL one for the early Legacys and WRXs although you can't get them over hear and they are overpriced for what they are. I think my guy charged be like $20 to cut and bend the pipe and install the two fittings.

I'll try and find a picture of it somewhere for you.

One thing is you really should have a cold air tube for the filter. I've already measured underhood temps around 150 degrees which totally defeats the purpose of having an open air intake. I also cut off about 6 inches of the rubber molding on the hood in the right front corner. This also lets ~some~ cold air hit the filter.
Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2000, 08:01 AM   #8
Nigel
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
1994 Legacy Turbo
Silver

Shik:

I may wait and see what you come up with before I do anything. Like I said, if it's not a bolt on part, I don't have time to deal with it right now. And, I just found out that I broke my right foot! So, I'm not going to be driving the Legacy much for a while. AAARGH!

Nigel