Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday December 17, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 07-18-2000, 02:50 PM   #1
nd4spd
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 948
Sorry, that $8500 is canadian dollars equal to about $5700 USD. The kilometers is 117,000miles, just to let you all know.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
nd4spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2000, 03:14 PM   #2
Shik
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 132
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2006 GT Ltd 5spd sdn
2015 WRX 6spd CWP

ND, the price doesn't sound too bad if it is truly in excellent condition. The cars themselves( provided they were taken care even half decently) will last a long time. If you do buy it, this is my suggestion on what to do.

Replace Timing belt and V-belts and at the same time,replace the waterpump(and T-stat) and check the front main seal and oil pump seal for leaks, maybe even just go ahead and replace them as well.

Replace ALL coolant hoses and I do mean all, especially the turbo hoses and waterpump bypass hose.

Flush the coolant system.

Replace all other fluids( including brake/clutch and power steering)

Tune-up( plugs, wires, PCV valve, fuel filter).

Install a K&N drop in panel filter.

Check everything else( brakes, axel boots, vacumn hoses, etc.)

Get a boost guage.

This is all assuming that the car is due for this stuff OR you don't have previous service records. It sucks puting money into non-performance items but it would be well worth it to do so. That way, should the car have any problems down the road, you know it's not something stupid like bad plug wires.

The car itself should last quite a while with normal maintenence. Another thing I would suggest is running a can of BG 44K through a tank full of gas and then do it again in another tank full. This stuff does amazing things to carbon stuck on valves and rings and wherever else it likes to build up. Then get a leak down test done to see what kind of shape the motor is in internally. Also a can of BG's motor flush before an oil change would be a good idea. I'm not big on additives and that sort of stuff but BG products are fantastic and worth every penny IMHO.

There really aren't too many problem spots with these cars so I wouldn't worry about too much. If you should get stuck on something, there are a few of us here that have been messing with them for a while so help is always near by. I'm sure the other guys will chime in with anything I missed.

Good luck.

Shik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2000, 06:54 PM   #3
PeteH
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 431
Talking

I would also check if it has the original clutch, if so it will need replacement soon.

My '92 turbo 5-spd has over 140,000 miles on it, the only things replaced have been the clutch and motor/tranny mounts and needs new rear diff mounts. Nothing other than basic maintanence parts have been replaced.

Even Consumer Reports rates the '92 Legacy as one of the '10-best' used cars to buy

Just be thorough with your inspection and enjoy
PeteH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2000, 01:01 AM   #4
nd4spd
Scooby Newbie

Exclamation Found Legacy Turbo!!, need advice on whether to buy!?

I finally found a Legacy Turbo 5 speed! , now the question is, is it a good buy. Here are the details, its a '92, purple color, fully loaded, supposidly in excellent contition in and out, only one previous owner and has 187,000km, the asking price is $7995 (dealer). The thing that worries me is the 187,000km, could a car like this with this mileage mean problems in the soon future?. Okay, heres a question how long do u think a car like this will last with regular maintenace and while been driven somewhat hard??
Any other advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-19-2000, 01:57 AM   #5
Ben
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 423
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Vehicle:
2002 WRX wagon
Silver

If you do have exter money, then change the trans oil also the diff. oil!!
Be sure the check the suspension, since my 92 Legacy turbo has 184000km the car seems going well, but the suspension just replaced, I was replace a set of AGX and I will suprise you a lot!! Right PeteH?? heehee!
BTW, as in Quebea, make sure to do rust protection.
The car is better then a 2.5RS engine since its a turbo from factory!! BTW,don't forget to put a turbo timer on it , it will save you a lot of time to let the car cool down!!
Enjoy your Legacy Turbo \(^0^)/
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2000, 02:26 PM   #6
DLC
out back

Member#: 1964
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
05 OB XT LTD
Silver/Gray

I'd like to know if you actually purchased this car

I've got my eye on a 91 Turbo at the moment. I'm trying to talk the current owner out of it but i think it's just a matter of time.

It's got 160K miles on it but he's owned it since it has around 2000. It's been serviced at a local Subaru/Honda shop routinely and has all service records but i haven't gotten far enought to inspect it any further or look over said records.

I should be able to get it for $4-4,500 (USD) when he eventually gives up (i hope).

Since there are so many Turbo owners in these boards i'm confident that any questions and problems i have can be resolved with your help
DLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2000, 05:43 PM   #7
nd4spd
Scooby Newbie

No, I never did buy the car, never actually looked at it. After thinking awhile I realized I just can't afford to buy another car right now. But once I get a solid job then I'll buy, hopefully when the time comes I'll find the perfect car. Actually since my last post 2 more Turbos popped up in the local trader mag, but both where auto, , oh well.
Anyways thanks for the advice people.