Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday August 2, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated with bolt-on Forced Induction Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-23-2001, 10:19 AM   #1
Tom
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 11500
Vehicle:
2000 Honda Civic SI
blue

Default what model is best for turbocharging?

Hello,

Ok I am looking to buy an imprezza but im not sure which one I should look for.

I DEFINATELY want to turbo charge it and build up the suspension. I would be looking to make the car run high 13/low 14's reliable on pump gas. I was looking at getting a 98 2.5rs Some people have told me that If I want to go turbo than I should just pick up a slightly older 2.2 imprezza? Can you guys give me some info on why the 2.2 is better I heard the rod/stroke ratio and compression are two main factors.

How much hp can the 2.2 take without rebuilding internals? What about the 2.5rs?

Also is there any problems with the rest of the drivetrain when turboing the car.. ie the awd system.... is there a point where the differential can not handle the power (sorry old dsm owner).

I know this is a lot but I really want AWD again and some torque. I just dont want to "waste" money on the 2.5rs if the 2.2 would be just as good of an engine if not better.

Thank you very much for the help.
Tom
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2001, 02:18 PM   #2
Jaxx
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 177
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
The 93 W/EJ20K
Series 10 FRS

wellll lets see

98 use a MAF sensor ..(good) but are supposto have a weaker bottom end (bad) DOHC, don't know compression(probbaly in line with the 99 tho) ~1500 made

99 also use a MAF (but it is differnt model and extreamly fragile)
SOHC (supposot have mor torque than the 98), 9.7 to 1 compression ~4000 made

2000/2001 uses a 1 bar map sensor, the ECU will freak out at any thing over 3 psi..(can be fixed tho) SOHC, 10.0 to 1 compression >15000 made

if i were looking for a used RS to turbo i would probbaly go with a 98 .. has a sturdy maf, lower compression and cheeper (but has the OBS front bumper), my production numbers are not exact but close enough
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 02:21 PM   #3
Tom
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 11500
Vehicle:
2000 Honda Civic SI
blue

thanks for the help..

right now i am looking for a 98 2.5RS

I will either sell my SI privately or trade it in at the dealer..

any dealers on this board by any chance?

Thanks again for all the help
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote