Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday October 1, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Texas Impreza Club
Texas Impreza Club Forum sponsored by Gillman Subaru Houston
and Gillman Subaru San Antonio
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 11:27 AM   #2201
siberiankiss
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 211858
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Cypress, TX
Vehicle:
2009 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Fitzwell View Post
Nobody?


I know there are some good spots and good beer available down there, share the goods! Don't worry, I'm not going to buy up all the good beer, I'm too cheap and frugal with my craft beer fund.
Spec's downtown should have the widest beer selection available in Houston. Most Spec's are pretty good, but that one's the best. HEB on I-10 at Bunker Hill is pretty well known as well. There's some smaller places that I hear have good selections, but I never really stray from HEB/Spec's personally.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
siberiankiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #2202
LEFT-ON
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 154529
Join Date: Jul 2007
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Arlington, TX
Vehicle:
2012 WRX STI Hatch
Plasma Blue Pearl

Default

I just know the Dallas area, so when you're passing through try Total Wine off of 75 and Park. They have a fantastic beer and scotch selection and the cheapest prices. There are a couple of Growler Bars in Texas now. Craft and Growler in Dallas has 30 local brews and Big Hops in San Antonio is a neat place. Both seem pretty kid friendly. Lots of small batch breweries are cropping up and growlers are the only way to take them home.
LEFT-ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #2203
DanzBorin
Subaru Bounty Hunter
Moderator
 
Member#: 7131
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston - Back in the Alief
Vehicle:
2008 STi DGM (3rd
STI) prev 05 STi (white)

Default

Spec's Midtown and D&Q are about the only 2 bottle shops worth anything in Houston.

Limited releases really only last 1-2 days in Houston tops. Sometimes a matter of minutes.

If you hit Spec's Midtown and D&Q you should be able to find all of the regular releases you could want.

For a small bottle selection and growler fills, stop at Growlers Beer & Wine off of Waugh.
DanzBorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #2204
DanzBorin
Subaru Bounty Hunter
Moderator
 
Member#: 7131
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston - Back in the Alief
Vehicle:
2008 STi DGM (3rd
STI) prev 05 STi (white)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberiankiss View Post
Spec's downtown should have the widest beer selection available in Houston. Most Spec's are pretty good, but that one's the best. HEB on I-10 at Bunker Hill is pretty well known as well. There's some smaller places that I hear have good selections, but I never really stray from HEB/Spec's personally.
You never go to D&Q?!
DanzBorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #2205
Dick Fitzwell
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 25684
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Moore, OK
Default

Awesome, thanks guys!

I'm aware of Specs although I've never been there. The one in Ft Worth (relatively new?) was mentioned during our annual homebrew conference trip in March but we opted to go the other direction (Craft and Growler in Dallas) which was well worth it, I scored some great draft only beers as well as several Jester King beers.

I'll map out the above and see what makes the most sense on our trip through town.

Cheers,
Dick Fitzwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:48 PM   #2206
siberiankiss
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 211858
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Cypress, TX
Vehicle:
2009 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanzBorin View Post
You never go to D&Q?!
Don't even know where it is. Let's not forget I live in Farfield...
siberiankiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #2207
DanzBorin
Subaru Bounty Hunter
Moderator
 
Member#: 7131
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston - Back in the Alief
Vehicle:
2008 STi DGM (3rd
STI) prev 05 STi (white)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberiankiss View Post
Don't even know where it is. Let's not forget I live in Farfield...
I used to live in Copperfield.

It's on Richmond just east of Montrose. Whenever you are in the area you should stop by. It's the only small bottle shop I know of in Houston.
DanzBorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #2208
siberiankiss
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 211858
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Cypress, TX
Vehicle:
2009 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanzBorin View Post
I used to live in Copperfield.

It's on Richmond just east of Montrose. Whenever you are in the area you should stop by. It's the only small bottle shop I know of in Houston.
There's a gas station type corner store place up in the Copperfield area that I've heard about, but once again, it's not worth going out of my way when I can get whatever I want at the HEB that's half a mile from my house. Knowing the beer guy has its perks
siberiankiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #2209
DanzBorin
Subaru Bounty Hunter
Moderator
 
Member#: 7131
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston - Back in the Alief
Vehicle:
2008 STi DGM (3rd
STI) prev 05 STi (white)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberiankiss View Post
There's a gas station type corner store place up in the Copperfield area that I've heard about, but once again, it's not worth going out of my way when I can get whatever I want at the HEB that's half a mile from my house. Knowing the beer guy has its perks
It's the Chevron at West and Telge.

It gets a few oddities, but charges way too much for them.

Oddly it only had the bare bones start of a craft beer section when i moved.
DanzBorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:01 PM   #2210
siberiankiss
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 211858
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Cypress, TX
Vehicle:
2009 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanzBorin View Post
It's the Chevron at West and Telge.

It gets a few oddities, but charges way too much for them.

Oddly it only had the bare bones start of a craft beer section when i moved.
Yup that's the one. I have a friend that goes there pretty often. I think I'm getting old. We don't even go to Petrol anymore...
siberiankiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #2211
DanzBorin
Subaru Bounty Hunter
Moderator
 
Member#: 7131
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston - Back in the Alief
Vehicle:
2008 STi DGM (3rd
STI) prev 05 STi (white)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberiankiss View Post
Yup that's the one. I have a friend that goes there pretty often. I think I'm getting old. We don't even go to Petrol anymore...
Too cool for school!

I usually get to Petrol twice a month. 3 if I'm lucky.

You do have Rockwell at least.
DanzBorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #2212
siberiankiss
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 211858
Join Date: May 2009
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Cypress, TX
Vehicle:
2009 STi

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanzBorin View Post
Too cool for school!

I usually get to Petrol twice a month. 3 if I'm lucky.

You do have Rockwell at least.
Haha yeah we're at Rockwell at least once a week.
siberiankiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #2213
DanzBorin
Subaru Bounty Hunter
Moderator
 
Member#: 7131
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston - Back in the Alief
Vehicle:
2008 STi DGM (3rd
STI) prev 05 STi (white)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberiankiss View Post
Haha yeah we're at Rockwell at least once a week.
I would be too.
DanzBorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #2214
Dick Fitzwell
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 25684
Join Date: Oct 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Moore, OK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanzBorin View Post
Spec's Midtown and D&Q are about the only 2 bottle shops worth anything in Houston.

Limited releases really only last 1-2 days in Houston tops. Sometimes a matter of minutes.

If you hit Spec's Midtown and D&Q you should be able to find all of the regular releases you could want.

For a small bottle selection and growler fills, stop at Growlers Beer & Wine off of Waugh.
So I was completely unprepared (with time or money) to fully appreciate the selection they had at Specs (midtown). Iím not sure what else to say.

We had a long drive ahead of us and a kiddo that needed to make it to school the next day so I wasn't willing/able to spend anywhere near as much time checking the place out while I was there, especially with the fam hanging outside in the car. Next time, whenever that is, I'll definitely come prepared with a stack of cash and plenty of space!

I essentially brought back all IPA, I'm not sure why but apparently I was craving IPA since every beer but one (JK la petite prince) was an IPA. I could have easily spent every dime I had on me just on JK stuff!

Anyway, thanks again for shooting me straight. I'm still way stoked over my haul even if it was puny and all IPA, I was just happy to get a hold of All Day IPA and Resin.
Dick Fitzwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #2215
DanzBorin
Subaru Bounty Hunter
Moderator
 
Member#: 7131
Join Date: Jun 2001
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston - Back in the Alief
Vehicle:
2008 STi DGM (3rd
STI) prev 05 STi (white)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Fitzwell View Post
So I was completely unprepared (with time or money) to fully appreciate the selection they had at Specs (midtown). Iím not sure what else to say.

We had a long drive ahead of us and a kiddo that needed to make it to school the next day so I wasn't willing/able to spend anywhere near as much time checking the place out while I was there, especially with the fam hanging outside in the car. Next time, whenever that is, I'll definitely come prepared with a stack of cash and plenty of space!

I essentially brought back all IPA, I'm not sure why but apparently I was craving IPA since every beer but one (JK la petite prince) was an IPA. I could have easily spent every dime I had on me just on JK stuff!

Anyway, thanks again for shooting me straight. I'm still way stoked over my haul even if it was puny and all IPA, I was just happy to get a hold of All Day IPA and Resin.
Glad you enjoyed the recommendations.

I am so far from town (15 mile drive, 30 mile round trip) that I can't really justify trips to that Specs or D&Q often.
DanzBorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The TXIC Photography Thread, All Welcome! samagon Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 4434 08-07-2013 07:45 PM
Official TXIC Beer Brewing Thread BBkidLy Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 4 03-20-2010 08:47 PM
TXIC Photog thread: carlos nice, distorto, selmak, fried icecream welcome :O) kortERHorse_281 Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 488 01-07-2010 11:35 AM
Official TXIC Rant Thread: Give me points or lock it!!! YourMother'sLover Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 195 09-03-2009 09:18 PM
Official TXIC Liquor thread: IDs checked samagon Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 37 12-10-2008 01:04 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.