Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday October 24, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Built Motor Discussion

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
wrxej25
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 129027
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
04 WRX Hybrid 2.5
Black

Question RSTi Bulid help

Hey everyone,
I am 17 and plan on getting a 2000-2001 2.5rs by latest, June, and plan on swapping to STi motor and drivetrain. I know some of my Subaru stuff and am willing to learn so much more. I'm just wondering the extent of it all, money wise, the best way to go about it. Anyone who has done this or knows what it takes i could use any useful info tips help.

I know most people on here are very smart when it comes to Subaru and the workings of them, and look at this as a wonderful opportunity to flame on a kid that knows nothing, but please I am just looking for help and have been doing my research as much as possible. I am just looking for someone's opinion on who has already done this or been there.

Like i said any help at all is appreciated and I cant wait to have a Subie of my own!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
wrxej25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 09:13 PM   #2
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Member#: 33782
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

really this should be in the conversions forum...
one, wiring is a PITA been there and done that several times

if getting a 99-01 RS I would get a custom hydra made to be plug and play but run DOHC heads and you can have AVCS control on the board too, just have to wire it in...then drop in a longblock, get a tune and call it a day.
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
wrxej25
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 WRX Hybrid 2.5
Black

Sorry I wasn't sure what forum to post it in, i was just in this one reading. and like I said I'm not all that smart about the major mods and what they are but im willing to learn if anyone will help, and I have heard of but not to sure what a hydra is, plug and play would be for the AP right? and also AVCS? im not good with abbreviations. thanks though. I've heard the wiring isn't much to look forward to though.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

hydra is an engine management system that would plug right in to the RS harness, then you can play (once you get tuned though).
AVCS is subaru variable cam timing
Old 09-26-2007, 02:44 AM   #5
eastcoastbumps
Scooby Guru

Member#: 29201
Vehicle:
BMW M3
Honda S2000x2

The easiest way to do the swap is to buy a complete wrecked STi and swap everything (wiring harnesses and all) over to your RS. Or mount the engine and drivetrain yourself and then bring the car to East Coast Swappers and have them do the wiring.

The other solution is to buy an RS that is already swapped. Finished swaps sell for about the same price as a clean RS + STi drivetrain.

I wouldn't recommend having a Hydra in your first Subaru. There are easier (and emissions legal) ways to get an STi engine running in an RS.
eastcoastbumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
wrxej25
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
04 WRX Hybrid 2.5
Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbumps View Post
The easiest way to do the swap is to buy a complete wrecked STi and swap everything (wiring harnesses and all) over to your RS. Or mount the engine and drivetrain yourself and then bring the car to East Coast Swappers and have them do the wiring.

The other solution is to buy an RS that is already swapped. Finished swaps sell for about the same price as a clean RS + STi drivetrain.

I wouldn't recommend having a Hydra in your first Subaru. There are easier (and emissions legal) ways to get an STi engine running in an RS.
That was one of my first thoughts, buying a wrecked STi and just having everything right there instead of buying all the parts and pieces. I also have ECS's website bookmarked. I want to do most myself with help of course but want to learn most of it, which is why i wouldnt want to buy one already swapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade WRX View Post
hydra is an engine management system that would plug right in to the RS harness, then you can play (once you get tuned though).
AVCS is subaru variable cam timing
and also what does variable cam timing do?
Old 09-26-2007, 01:08 PM   #7
Homemade WRX
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
96 bastard child
search FIRST, then PM!!!

oh yeah, forgot about you guys who have emissions...cancel the hydra...by it pre-bougth...
variable cam timing put very simply changed the cams timing in relation to the crank so that you can have a more ideal timing throughout the entire powerband.
Advanced down low and reatrded up top