Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday July 12, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Water/Methanol Injection, Nitrous & Intercooler Cooling

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2006, 09:47 PM   #101
sti killa
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 124571
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: sti killing fields
Vehicle:
95 turbo domestic
not gay pink like sti's

Default sti people are lame

A bunch of off the wall people own these cars. WTF? I mean come on. You spend a grand on a top mount. Spend tons on pink motorolla cell phones, but wont buy a quality alky kit. Call on saturday nights or sunday mornings. Walk like they have something lodged in thier rearends and I am not talking about the cars rearend either. Sit on websites going

I cant understand why people wont wake up and smell the roses. Buy a car that is not gay. When it comes to imports I always liked the evos better than subaru's because evos are not rainbow sticker magnets like subaru's.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
sti killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:49 PM   #102
east milford wrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102301
Join Date: Dec 2005
Default

air can leave the trunk throught the rear fender. incase you didnt know if you remove the rear bumper there is a vent type thing on each side. if you notice when you shut the door air does come out of them..thus air in the trunk can make it through the rear side wells and be vented out...idk atleast some fumes will escape
east milford wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:09 AM   #103
PeteDucati
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44629
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: '04WRX-Axis ej257, IPT 4eat.
Vehicle:
CNC 'd heads, cams
DB18g/EWG - F/S $8K

Default

My SMC works PERFECT - until the methanol starts to boil. I'll be relocating the system to the trunk and use a vent tube from the cap to the underside of the car incase the fumes become an issue.. but methanol has a nice smell to it.
PeteDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:05 AM   #104
Richard L
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 85153
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sussex England
Vehicle:
2004 Citroen Picasso
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDucati View Post
My SMC works PERFECT - until the methanol starts to boil. I'll be relocating the system to the trunk and use a vent tube from the cap to the underside of the car incase the fumes become an issue.. but methanol has a nice smell to it.
Methanol is poisonous, inhalted or swallowed, causing blindness.


Richard

Last edited by Richard L; 08-31-2006 at 04:50 PM.
Richard L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:03 AM   #105
InfamousDX
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 25413
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: North NJ
Default

Cured by ethanol!!!

Anyway, I'll have my SMC in the washer tank... hope it doesn't boil like yours Pete. You use 100% meth is that why? I was planing on 50/50
InfamousDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 06:21 PM   #106
krambte79
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 97452
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Broussard, LA
Vehicle:
05 STi, 02 STi
& 09Ltd Tribeca

Default

w/ the sti trunk system i am still able to use the stock i/c sprayer. i have not used it out of fear of lighting my car on fire, but is it okay or not to spray
100% meth across the top of your i/c?
krambte79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:06 PM   #107
djerickd
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3782
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tampa B*tch!
Vehicle:
02 WRX WFC#040
Clean on 19's

Default

Call 911 now

I don't think thats a good idea.
djerickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:42 PM   #108
dibblejr
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 94070
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Dirty South
Vehicle:
05 LGT
PSM

Default

Yeah with a flashpoint of 147 deg you would instantly start a fire. You might want to get the cast of Jackass to do it for you, they like to do stupin shiot.
dibblejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 11:13 PM   #109
krambte79
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 97452
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Broussard, LA
Vehicle:
05 STi, 02 STi
& 09Ltd Tribeca

Default

thanks, thats all i needed to know, but that being the case how does it not
ignite immediately during spray into the throttle body?
krambte79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 09:45 AM   #110
PeteDucati
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44629
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: '04WRX-Axis ej257, IPT 4eat.
Vehicle:
CNC 'd heads, cams
DB18g/EWG - F/S $8K

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousDX View Post
Anyway, I'll have my SMC in the washer tank... hope it doesn't boil like yours Pete. You use 100% meth is that why? I was planing on 50/50
I'm running pure methanol from PowerMist - and a TMIC with coated headers - not wrapped. It gets pretty damn hot under there with no place for the heat to go - the meth stops spraying instantly (but comes back online after holding the "TEST" button for a second or two) after idling too long or cruising at very low speeds. Yes, last night my meth took a second to build pressure even though the outside temps were pretty cool.. it loses it's prime rather quickly when the underhood temps get too hot.

As far as the vapors killing me - I'll vent them through the bottom of the trunk.
PeteDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:03 PM   #111
AZScoobie
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 8785
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
02 c_turner@ix.
netcom.com

Default

I know a guy that put Alcohol in his IC spray tank.. He saw smoke.. Jumped out, and proceded to get burned because the flames where clear... You cant see Alchol flames. It torched the top of the motor. It was not to bad but instantly started a fire...

Clark
AZScoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:24 PM   #112
djerickd
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 3782
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tampa B*tch!
Vehicle:
02 WRX WFC#040
Clean on 19's

Default

OUCH!!!
djerickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 01:41 PM   #113
TurboRex
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 8635
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Texas
Vehicle:
04 STI, 07 FXT

Default

subscribed
TurboRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #114
dibblejr
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 94070
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Dirty South
Vehicle:
05 LGT
PSM

Default

It is sucked into the cylinder head so fast you cant see it burn.
I monitor my Alky, meth and or water with my temp guage since in the wagon there is no trunk it is mounted under the hood right under my SPT Intake and is seperated from the turbo and engine heat by my SPT heat shield. So far no problems at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krambte79 View Post
thanks, thats all i needed to know, but that being the case how does it not
ignite immediately during spray into the throttle body?
dibblejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 06:07 PM   #115
PeteDucati
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44629
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: '04WRX-Axis ej257, IPT 4eat.
Vehicle:
CNC 'd heads, cams
DB18g/EWG - F/S $8K

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibblejr View Post
It is sucked into the cylinder head so fast you cant see it burn.
I monitor my Alky, meth and or water with my temp guage since in the wagon there is no trunk it is mounted under the hood right under my SPT Intake and is seperated from the turbo and engine heat by my SPT heat shield. So far no problems at all.
Are you saying the methanol is ignited almost immediately after it's sprayed? If you are, you're quite mistaken. The ignition temperature is almost twice that of gasoline - and we all know gasoline doesn't ignite until that spark fires or detonation occurs. Also, if it were to ignite you'd blow all of the hoses off. Even though methanol has a low flash point - it's WAY higher than gasoline (-50F) versus methanol's +52 degrees.
PeteDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 10:27 PM   #116
dibblejr
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 94070
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Dirty South
Vehicle:
05 LGT
PSM

Default

Nope, I know the flashpoints and pressures. I am just trying to let the OP know in simple terms. You cant see it burn, as with any combustian engine, internally everything happens so quick.
However if you spray it directly on the TMIC as mentioned in this thread you would surely set your car on fire.

Jay-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDucati View Post
Are you saying the methanol is ignited almost immediately after it's sprayed? If you are, you're quite mistaken. The ignition temperature is almost twice that of gasoline - and we all know gasoline doesn't ignite until that spark fires or detonation occurs. Also, if it were to ignite you'd blow all of the hoses off. Even though methanol has a low flash point - it's WAY higher than gasoline (-50F) versus methanol's +52 degrees.
dibblejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:11 AM   #117
krambte79
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 97452
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Broussard, LA
Vehicle:
05 STi, 02 STi
& 09Ltd Tribeca

Default

i appreciate the simple terms. i will leave my i/c sprayer as non fuctional.
krambte79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:44 AM   #118
PeteDucati
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44629
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: '04WRX-Axis ej257, IPT 4eat.
Vehicle:
CNC 'd heads, cams
DB18g/EWG - F/S $8K

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by krambte79 View Post
..but that being the case how does it not
ignite immediately during spray into the throttle body?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dibblejr
It is sucked into the cylinder head so fast you cant see it burn.
This sure sounds like you were implying to Krambte that the meth is ignited before it enters the combustion chamber.
PeteDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #119
dibblejr
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 94070
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Dirty South
Vehicle:
05 LGT
PSM

Default

i believe that everyone knows that the TB is not or does not have an ignition source.
if you are that shallow minded then next time i will spell it out just for you.
i believe the op has enough info to understand not to use meth or alky as an intercooler cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDucati View Post
This sure sounds like you were implying to Krambte that the meth is ignited before it enters the combustion chamber.
dibblejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #120
PeteDucati
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44629
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: '04WRX-Axis ej257, IPT 4eat.
Vehicle:
CNC 'd heads, cams
DB18g/EWG - F/S $8K

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibblejr View Post
i believe that everyone knows that the TB is not or does not have an ignition source.
if you are that shallow minded then next time i will spell it out just for you.
i believe the op has enough info to understand not to use meth or alky as an intercooler cooler.
I'm sorry - you posted, "It is sucked into the combustion chamber so fast you can't see it burn". That was the direct answer to, "..how does it not ignite immediately during spray into the throttle body".

I don't need it spelled out - and I'm not of shallow mind. But there are tens of thousands of NASIOC members that don't know how to change their own oil - how many of those do you think actually understand chemical cooling or even the basic principals of the internal combustion engine.

There's no need to insult me when you plainly stated it ignites in the manifold and gets sucked into the combustion chamber.
PeteDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:18 PM   #121
dibblejr
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 94070
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Dirty South
Vehicle:
05 LGT
PSM

Default

I believe you do need it spelled out or even read to you; Here is what I actually said copied and pasted here just for your enjoyment: It is sucked into the cylinder head so fast you cant see it burn.I monitor my Alky, meth and or water with my temp guage since in the wagon there is no trunk it is mounted under the hood right under my SPT Intake and is seperated from the turbo and engine heat by my SPT heat shield. So far no problems at all.
i said cylinder head not combustian chamber.
The question was ' Why does it not ignite in the TB? Maybe I am wrong but I believe that it has to go through the TB to get to the cylinder head and combustian chambers. You are just wasting space on the site, the OP has already made his statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDucati View Post
I'm sorry - you posted, "It is sucked into the combustion chamber so fast you can't see it burn". That was the direct answer to, "..how does it not ignite immediately during spray into the throttle body".

I don't need it spelled out - and I'm not of shallow mind. But there are tens of thousands of NASIOC members that don't know how to change their own oil - how many of those do you think actually understand chemical cooling or even the basic principals of the internal combustion engine.

There's no need to insult me when you plainly stated it ignites in the manifold and gets sucked into the combustion chamber.
dibblejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 07:00 PM   #122
krambte79
NASIOC Supporter
 
Member#: 97452
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Broussard, LA
Vehicle:
05 STi, 02 STi
& 09Ltd Tribeca

Default

sorry to be the reason yous guys are arguing. i was just trying to understand the difference behind spraying meth across the intercooler and it igniting and if so why does it not ignite immediately when sprayed into the throttle body. i would think that inside the throttle body would be at a much higher temp than across the top of the i/c. and yes i do not know much of anything about chemical cooling or combustion for that matter.
thanks for the info guys
krambte79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 08:47 PM   #123
dibblejr
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 94070
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Dirty South
Vehicle:
05 LGT
PSM

Default

No big deal. I was just trying to keep it in understandable terms. If you stay on this site you will soon realize that no matter what type of question you are trying to answer there is always somebody who wants to make negative comments just to try to spice things up a bit.
This is the problem when you have a wide spectrum of WRX owners from young to old.
Your best bet would be to keep your TMIC sprayer as a sprayer. In the winter dont forget to use window cleaner for whatever temp you will need. You can also add some alky 50/50 to your water to keep it from freezing.
Jay-R


Quote:
Originally Posted by krambte79 View Post
sorry to be the reason yous guys are arguing. i was just trying to understand the difference behind spraying meth across the intercooler and it igniting and if so why does it not ignite immediately when sprayed into the throttle body. i would think that inside the throttle body would be at a much higher temp than across the top of the i/c. and yes i do not know much of anything about chemical cooling or combustion for that matter.
thanks for the info guys
dibblejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:31 AM   #124
PeteDucati
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 44629
Join Date: Oct 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: '04WRX-Axis ej257, IPT 4eat.
Vehicle:
CNC 'd heads, cams
DB18g/EWG - F/S $8K

Default

Today I bought one of those infra red temperature guns. I shot the washer tank after the meth crapped out - lo and behold - ~147 degrees. The body of the pump and the brass fittings were the same temperature. UPS also dropped off the different tank, extended harness, and braided line - everything is now mounted in my trunk.
PeteDucati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:44 AM   #125
PolarisSnT
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 85905
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Staten Island
Vehicle:
2004 WRX

Default

I run 100% denatured alcohol and I havnt run into this problem yet. I use my washer tank as theh storage tank and my pump is stored in my driver fender. Does the denatured alcohol have different properties as Meth or am I just lucky?
PolarisSnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone running SMC Kit? David L. Water/Methanol Injection, Nitrous & Intercooler Cooling 30 11-19-2007 11:49 AM
What else needed with SMC kit before tune... vtec2sti Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain 13 02-07-2007 07:54 PM
Power/performance difference between 50/50 and 100% methanol for water injection? sticrazy Water/Methanol Injection, Nitrous & Intercooler Cooling 42 11-19-2006 10:00 PM
About to get the SMC Injection Kit- Run with Meth or Alcohol? The_Urban_Knight Water/Methanol Injection, Nitrous & Intercooler Cooling 15 10-01-2006 02:12 PM
injection questions..smc kit..50/50 water denatured or 50/50 water methanol...discuss mpower22 Water/Methanol Injection, Nitrous & Intercooler Cooling 28 08-26-2005 12:24 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.