Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Water/Methanol Injection, Nitrous & Intercooler Cooling

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 08-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
runner19
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 39562
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
My02 WRX Sedan 5MT
WR blue

Default PSI3 and aquamist 2d

Hi

I would like to setup my PSI3 dash display to activate my Aquamist 2d system.

This would allow me to use adjustable WI injection point (in car).

I was thinking of using the 3/4 pins to drive a relay that opens the blue wire electrical circuit on the 2D.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
runner19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
Jaxx
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 177
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
The 93 Imp W/EJ20K
flat black

mmmm
i suppose you coudl fire it off the shift light
but i don't think the resolution (8-9/sec) of the psi3 is fast enough that you want your injection to becontrolled by it
Jaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #3
runner19
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
My02 WRX Sedan 5MT
WR blue

Shift light is pins 1/2 on connector 2

I am using pins 3/4 on connector 2. These are setup to trigger WI injection on boost threshold.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:17 AM   #4
subieworx
Scooby Guru

Member#: 47769
Chapter/Region: MWSOC

You can run it off 3/4 (technically just 3 as 4 is a ground), but as jaxx said it does not have the resolution to be able to kick on at the exact same point everytime. There's only so much info info that can be pulled from the ECU at a time. This slows down the unit a bit.
subieworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
Richard L
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 85153
Vehicle:
2004 Citroen Picasso
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner19
Hi

I would like to setup my PSI3 dash display to activate my Aquamist 2d system.

This would allow me to use adjustable WI injection point (in car).

I was thinking of using the 3/4 pins to drive a relay that opens the blue wire electrical circuit on the 2D.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
The 2d requires an open ground signal to active. You can make your output work in reverse. When you want to inject water un-ground the PSI3.

Richard

PS may be it is simplier to use a 5-pin relay.
Richard L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:54 AM   #6
calvinc
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 73190
Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

i used to have this setup working in my car. i opted out of it because of the following:

- i've found the dash unit to react too slow for tuning on the edge with water. you have to set the activation pressure much lower just to try and get it spraying at the right time.

- you need the dash unit to be connected ALL of the time for your water injection to work. this effectively eliminates tuning for water since you'll need to have the laptop monitoring the diagnostic output. it also eliminates effective diagnosis, should you have problems, because you cannot have both working at the same time.

its ease of use to change the activation pressure is a great incentive to try it but the con's far outweigh the pro's.

calvin.
calvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #7
Richard L
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Citroen Picasso
Silver

Hello Calvin,

We can set the DDS3 to any response time, from ms to S. The problem is false triggering during gear shift where duty cycle or manifold pressure drops.

I can tell you how to modify the delay if you email me directly. The DDS3's junction box is under furhter developments where the "map switch" output engages at all time until fault is detected during set boost or above a certain fuel duty cycle.

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinc View Post
i used to have this setup working in my car. i opted out of it because of the following:

- i've found the dash unit to react too slow for tuning on the edge with water. you have to set the activation pressure much lower just to try and get it spraying at the right time.

- you need the dash unit to be connected ALL of the time for your water injection to work. this effectively eliminates tuning for water since you'll need to have the laptop monitoring the diagnostic output. it also eliminates effective diagnosis, should you have problems, because you cannot have both working at the same time.

its ease of use to change the activation pressure is a great incentive to try it but the con's far outweigh the pro's.

calvin.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
calvinc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

Quote:
Hello Calvin,

We can set the DDS3 to any response time, from ms to S. The problem is false triggering during gear shift where duty cycle or manifold pressure drops.

I can tell you how to modify the delay if you email me directly. The DDS3's junction box is under furhter developments where the "map switch" output engages at all time until fault is detected during set boost or above a certain fuel duty cycle.

Richard
hi richard,

the delay isn't with the aquamist product but rather the dash monitor unit developed by psi3. it tends to read slowly and the trigger to drive the pump is delayed. i had spoken to you about this setup a month or 2 back. elegant solution but hop-switch included with 2d is much better.

calvin.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:43 AM   #9
runner19
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
My02 WRX Sedan 5MT
WR blue

Richard this is exactly what I am doing. I am using a 5 way bosch relay(N?C) to open the hop switch circuit to the FIA.

Calvin I understand the resolution issues with the PSI 3. What happens to current between pins 3/4 when the WI injection boost is reached. i.e if boost is reached , does the PSI3 energise(close) the pin 3/4 circuit(current flows)? ATM the volt meter is not showing any current even at/passed boost point.

PS I am doing this to test the efficiency of my boost activation point(currently 1 bar). It is hard to change the hop switch everytime and to set the boost activation point easily. Also by setting only one parameter on data page 7 the map reading mirrors my boost guage quickly enough. I agree you cannot use the PSI 3 as a primary trigger for the 2D system.

Unfortunately it takes time to fine tune the hop switch and then datalog and start all over again.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:50 AM   #10
calvinc
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2005 Impreza WRX STi
Silver

Quote:
What happens to current between pins 3/4 when the WI injection boost is reached. i.e if boost is reached , does the PSI3 energise(close) the pin 3/4 circuit(current flows)? ATM the volt meter is not showing any current even at/passed boost point.
basically the 2 systems are the reverse of each other. aquamist hop-switch circuit is NC (normally closed) and the PSI3 unit works NO (normally open), therefore you should get voltage once you've crossed the boost threshold on the PSI3 unit.

calvin.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:11 AM   #11
runner19
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
My02 WRX Sedan 5MT
WR blue

Calvin

Excellent. Then I can use a N/C relay (change over) to open the hop switch circuit.

Thanks dude.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:44 PM   #12
Richard L
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2004 Citroen Picasso
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner19 View Post
Calvin

Excellent. Then I can use a N/C relay (change over) to open the hop switch circuit.

Thanks dude.
Since most (99.9%) of the controller output switches to ground when active. You can set your controller output switch to ground during startup (disabling the 2d) and off-ground when your want the 2d to spray.

You have to think logically and to act illogically. This will save using a relay and extra wiring. Just connect the FIA2's blue wire to your controller and try.

Richard
Old 09-06-2006, 09:59 AM   #13
runner19
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
My02 WRX Sedan 5MT
WR blue

I already wired it up over the weekend. And it works very well for testing.

The PSi3 system responses is only adequate below 5500 rpm.

I am going to use the adjustable WI setpoint to determine the most effective boost setting. I will then adjust the hopswitch and leave it to control the 2D.

Thanks for the help.