Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday July 13, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Reviews > Car Part Reviews

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-29-2001, 01:28 PM   #1
fabulous12
Scooby Newbie
Member Sales Rating: (0)

Member#: 6831
Vehicle:
98 impreza 2.5RS
black

Default cobb tuning brake pads

well i hadn't seen any reviews posted on these pads so i thought i'd put in my opinion on them for anyone else. I just put the cobb pads on my fronts, i also tried to put on the rear pads, but i found that they didnt fit! So i called cobb and they tell me that they dont have rear pads for the 98, and they are going to "find out who sold them to me and call me back." So i talked to them this morning and i am still waiting for that call... i hope they dont give me any problems giving me my money back for the rear pads...

anyways on with the review, the pads went in without any problems and when i drove the car i noticed an immediate difference over the stock pads. these pads require no heat up period like a lot of performance pads, and they offer a lot of extra braking power over stock. i had to lighten my brake foot a bit . So far the dust factor has been great also... the stock pads produced so much dust i sometimes wondered where it all came from... these pads seem to produce almost no dust... or at least a small enough amount so that the dust all just sifts through the x-drilled rotors.

All in all im quite happy with my purchase, as long as i can get a refund on the rear pads.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
fabulous12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 02:14 PM   #2
fabulous12
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 impreza 2.5RS
black

I haven't gotten any squealing at all from them... I got a lot of squealing with the stock pads/rotors, but when i switched to the brembo x-drilled the squealing stopped (even with stock pads still on). I am still breaking the pads in though... how long have you had yours?

btw i just called cobb again, they told me that they are sending a return shipping label for me and will refund my money once they receive the pads.
Old 10-29-2001, 03:41 PM   #3
fabulous12
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 impreza 2.5RS
black

ya, australian race pads... darn and i was hoping for the snazzy blue ones in the picture on their website

i had no problems getting the pads, they were at my door about a week from when i placed the order over the phone with them. I just hope it doesnt take me forever to get my money back.

The only sound im getting from them is a weird kind of groan... im not even sure if its audible from outside the car, its pretty fait but noticable when i put a medium amount of pressure on the brake pedal. Not sure if this is the sound of the pads on my rotors or if its just because the pads havent been broken in. I hope they dont squeal... squealing brakes really annoy me.

btw, what kind of rotors do you have??
Old 10-31-2001, 03:20 PM   #4
redobs
NASIOC Supporter
Member Sales Rating: (6)

Member#: 1501
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Vehicle:
2009 WRX wagon
Dark grey

When I was looking for brake pads, these weren't in stock, so I ended up getting Porterfields.

Now, as far as the squeaking, have you tried using the anti-squeak lube? Mine squeaked quite a bit before I put that stuff on. Now, it barely squeaks...and when it does, the pads were cold!
redobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 05:06 PM   #5
wrxteme
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 6727
Vehicle:
2005 Forester XT
Aspen White

Default redobs

What's your opinion on the Porterfields?
wrxteme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2001, 08:54 PM   #6
fabulous12
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
98 impreza 2.5RS
black

i think the 'lube' is actually like a dry lube that won't allow dust to stick to the rotors, and therefore causing squeaking. correct me if im wrong though
Old 11-01-2001, 12:58 AM   #7
dhs
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 11575

the anti squeal stuff goes on the back of the pad, most sets of pads I have purchased have instructions for its application

SAFETY WARNING: IT DEFINATELY DOES NOT GO ON THE ROTOR OR ON THE FRONT OF THE PAD

On a side not - Treat brake rotors like you would a flywheel. Wear clean gloves when handling them and clean them with acetone or brake cleaner to remove all traces of grease, oil, wax, brake fluid.

Something that took me a few years of DIY wrenching to figure out - new rotors aren't rusty when you put them on (duh). The eureka light went on when I realized the rotors are treated at the manufacturer with a rust prevention that should be taken off (with solvents) for best performance and life of brakes. This has since been confirmed by a couple of mechanics i know and I have personnally noticed a difference in brake life and less grooving for me.
dhs is offline   Reply With Quote