Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 29, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #2501
fastnoypi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6886
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
MY01 EJ207 HTA35r
nothing to see, i'm stock

Default

The 5sp (at least the 02 5sp) deserves a little more credit than it has gotten, but again its a crap shoot of which ones will handle power. Mine was at or about the 280~290+hp level with tons of 1/4 mile passes. I swapped in a new clutch disc at 40k at the time of the v7 swap, even though it had lots of meat. I ended up selling it close to 100k miles to recoup some $ from a 6sp swap. Last I heard the 2nd owner is still on the board driving it today.

I believe its a touch of luck and slipping the clutch with the 5sp will keep it alive (at least to a reasonable power level)

I found the original clutch disc a few years back and sold it to a friend with a 2.5L hybrid swap with a APS SR40, somehow it lasted almost 2 more years!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
fastnoypi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #2502
WhiteBgeye02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224785
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: neenah
Vehicle:
2005 wrx-jdm207
i went black...

Default

i broke my original 5mt with 250whp and 260wtq approx. torque is what breaks the gears after a hard gear drop or launch. they do deserve credit though. i heard that the gears in them actually vary some because in 02 they built like 2x as many bugeyes as they thought they would need. hence the various brake calipers they used, possibly different gears from older impreza's. and a few other small things i cant remember.
WhiteBgeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #2503
ride5000
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32792
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: lincoln, ri
Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

Default

oem clutch disc helps a LOT with that too.

i'm on my third clutch, but i still have my original gearbox.
ride5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #2504
fastnoypi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6886
Join Date: May 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
MY01 EJ207 HTA35r
nothing to see, i'm stock

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBgeye02 View Post
i broke my original 5mt with 250whp and 260wtq approx. torque is what breaks the gears after a hard gear drop or launch. they do deserve credit though. i heard that the gears in them actually vary some because in 02 they built like 2x as many bugeyes as they thought they would need. hence the various brake calipers they used, possibly different gears from older impreza's. and a few other small things i cant remember.
yeah i've heard some 5sp cases had RA gears in them, its rumored that US demand was pretty high at the time for the wrx and the factory basically dipped into their extra parts bin to meet the demand.
fastnoypi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #2505
mt1101
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 291990
Join Date: Aug 2011
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: NYC
Vehicle:
2003 BUGEYE WAGON
PSM

Default

Thanks as always for details vlad. Well I am not launching or dropping gears like some mad man...probably just some nice highway pulls though. My 160k original clutch is finally going bye bye but it definitely held up its end of the deal.
mt1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #2506
efiniluvr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 107170
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bay Area
Vehicle:
2002 ver 7 EJ207 WRX
WRB

Default Thanks for all the feedbacks

Glad to see I'm being pointed toward the right direction. I am actually pulling the motor right now, and will prep the new motor with belts, tensioner, pulleys since it's out. Changing out the timing belt with the motor in the car was not fun.

I'm glad people don't give me heat about keeping the 5 spd. If money wasn't a cost issue, sure who wouldn't want a 6 spd swap, right? The clutch that's currently on the car is the original and has 160K miles on it, so it was a blessing in disguise I guess that the motor blew. In terms of the clutch, will those two I listed suffice? If in fact I can keep the new clutch for a 6 spd, I guess I can look at other alternatives that is daily-driver friendly. I am only looking to upgrade to Stage 2 afterwards, and the car may see about 2 HPDE's per year, so what ~whp am I looking at?

Again, if some of you have personal experience with some of the vendors, please PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting it public.

Thanks
-Jeff
efiniluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #2507
WRick
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 86107
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: 10% REAL FRUIT JUICE
Default

what's the rear 02 sensor part number for a V7 spec C...

mine borked
WRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #2508
WhiteBgeye02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224785
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: neenah
Vehicle:
2005 wrx-jdm207
i went black...

Default

rear O2 sensors are not even needed. have someone go in and delete the code. the car runs off of the front O2 sensor that is in the top of the downpipe. if you got a tactrix and can pull the tune via opensource i can delete it for you via email.
WhiteBgeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #2509
ride5000
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32792
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: lincoln, ri
Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by efiniluvr View Post
Glad to see I'm being pointed toward the right direction. I am actually pulling the motor right now, and will prep the new motor with belts, tensioner, pulleys since it's out. Changing out the timing belt with the motor in the car was not fun.

I'm glad people don't give me heat about keeping the 5 spd. If money wasn't a cost issue, sure who wouldn't want a 6 spd swap, right? The clutch that's currently on the car is the original and has 160K miles on it, so it was a blessing in disguise I guess that the motor blew. In terms of the clutch, will those two I listed suffice? If in fact I can keep the new clutch for a 6 spd, I guess I can look at other alternatives that is daily-driver friendly. I am only looking to upgrade to Stage 2 afterwards, and the car may see about 2 HPDE's per year, so what ~whp am I looking at?

Again, if some of you have personal experience with some of the vendors, please PM me if you don't feel comfortable posting it public.

Thanks
-Jeff
at the risk of derailing this thread a bit more, i would stick with an oem replacement clutch. it will hold up to around 115-120mph trap. they're cheap, they have great pedal feel, and they are easier on the gears.
ride5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #2510
WRick
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 86107
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: 10% REAL FRUIT JUICE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBgeye02 View Post
rear O2 sensors are not even needed. have someone go in and delete the code. the car runs off of the front O2 sensor that is in the top of the downpipe. if you got a tactrix and can pull the tune via opensource i can delete it for you via email.
O2 on top of downpipe ??

That would be the wideband A/F.... or the front factory A/F, before the up-pipe...

correct me if I'm wrong...

My ecu has an ecutek lock. I figured a way around it, but my tuner has the software

So, I really don't need it ?

I have an old one I can use to plug the hole. Would that do ?
WRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:45 PM   #2511
WhiteBgeye02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224785
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: neenah
Vehicle:
2005 wrx-jdm207
i went black...

Default

from what i understand the up stream O2 sensor that goes in the up pipe in a usdm car is now right behind the turbo? and then the rear one is way down at the end of the downpipe. a wideband is a O2 sensor. it just tells us if its made to read a wide range of afr's or narrow range hence the name narrowband. the rear one is narrowband and i am 90% sure the car doesnt even use it... once in open loop it relies on past tune information as it is
thats why i dislike ecutek. cant do **** on your own
WhiteBgeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #2512
WRick
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 86107
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: 10% REAL FRUIT JUICE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBgeye02 View Post
from what i understand the up stream O2 sensor that goes in the up pipe in a usdm car is now right behind the turbo? and then the rear one is way down at the end of the downpipe. a wideband is a O2 sensor. it just tells us if its made to read a wide range of afr's or narrow range hence the name narrowband. the rear one is narrowband and i am 90% sure the car doesnt even use it... once in open loop it relies on past tune information as it is
thats why i dislike ecutek. cant do **** on your own
The rear one is a narrowband.

There is no factory o2 right behind the turbo....
WRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #2513
WhiteBgeye02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224785
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: neenah
Vehicle:
2005 wrx-jdm207
i went black...

Default

this were is the factory wideband O2 located?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-Impre...#ht_2295wt_952

ive seen this location on the oem downpipes that are jdm. atleast the twin scroll. maybe single scroll is different....
WhiteBgeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #2514
WRick
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 86107
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: 10% REAL FRUIT JUICE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBgeye02 View Post
this were is the factory wideband O2 located?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-Impre...#ht_2295wt_952

ive seen this location on the oem downpipes that are jdm. atleast the twin scroll. maybe single scroll is different....
every aftermarket DP has that bong, for tuning purposes.

Factory mount isnt there, Subaru would be replacing sensors every 5 minutes
WRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #2515
ride5000
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32792
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: lincoln, ri
Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRick View Post
The rear one is a narrowband.

There is no factory o2 right behind the turbo....
i think you need to brush up on your twinscroll knowledge.
ride5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #2516
LIQUIDSK8S
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22605
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Vehicle:
2002 JDM STI/WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRick

The rear one is a narrowband.

There is no factory o2 right behind the turbo....
The JDM v.8 has the O2 sensor right behind the turbo at the top of the downpipe. I think it is the same for all twin scroll STi setups.
LIQUIDSK8S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #2517
WRick
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 86107
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: 10% REAL FRUIT JUICE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUIDSK8S View Post
The JDM v.8 has the O2 sensor right behind the turbo at the top of the downpipe. I think it is the same for all twin scroll STi setups.
Kk, thanks for the info.

Mine's a V7 spec C

Newly built !
WRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #2518
WhiteBgeye02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224785
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: neenah
Vehicle:
2005 wrx-jdm207
i went black...

Default

yeah they moved it for two reasons. one there is no way to combine the seperated exh tubes before the turbo and the second you get better readings in this location anyways because of the lesser pressure compared to the up pipe pressure. as far as v7 your on your own then. i have no clue lol prob same as usdm stuff. i realize that bung is there for tuning purposes for aftermarket widebands. just go to your tuner and get that rear o2 sensor codes deleted and plug the darn hole
WhiteBgeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #2519
WRick
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 86107
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: 10% REAL FRUIT JUICE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBgeye02 View Post
yeah they moved it for two reasons. one there is no way to combine the seperated exh tubes before the turbo and the second you get better readings in this location anyways because of the lesser pressure compared to the up pipe pressure. as far as v7 your on your own then. i have no clue lol prob same as usdm stuff. i realize that bung is there for tuning purposes for aftermarket widebands. just go to your tuner and get that rear o2 sensor codes deleted and plug the darn hole
yeah I can take care of that myself

Following up on my recent installing of wossner pistons ;

they sound like a stock 2.0 wrx !

Hope they last. We'll see.
WRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #2520
WhiteBgeye02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224785
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: neenah
Vehicle:
2005 wrx-jdm207
i went black...

Default

why wouldnt it sound like a stock wrx? as far as tuning wise if you can get another bung welded on the downpipe and move the stock wideband to the dp. works much better for closed loop tuning accuracy! good luck!
WhiteBgeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #2521
WRick
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 86107
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: 10% REAL FRUIT JUICE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBgeye02 View Post
why wouldnt it sound like a stock wrx? as far as tuning wise if you can get another bung welded on the downpipe and move the stock wideband to the dp. works much better for closed loop tuning accuracy! good luck!
Meh, I was expecting a little slap!

smooth as butter.
WRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #2522
WhiteBgeye02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224785
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: neenah
Vehicle:
2005 wrx-jdm207
i went black...

Default

do the pistons have longer skirts? some ppl try getting the shorter skirt pistons and then they have too much rotational room and slap like a sob. better to get the longer skirts so they can spin. whats a little extra mass compared to a horrible sounding engine.
WhiteBgeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #2523
ride5000
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 32792
Join Date: Feb 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: lincoln, ri
Vehicle:
2003 GGA MBP
12.9 / 105+

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBgeye02 View Post
why wouldnt it sound like a stock wrx?
afaik oem t/s headers are equal length.
ride5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:26 PM   #2524
WRick
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 86107
Join Date: Apr 2005
Chapter/Region: E. Canada
Location: 10% REAL FRUIT JUICE
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBgeye02 View Post
do the pistons have longer skirts? some ppl try getting the shorter skirt pistons and then they have too much rotational room and slap like a sob. better to get the longer skirts so they can spin. whats a little extra mass compared to a horrible sounding engine.
Haven't built it myself.

Couldn't answer this one...

I just started it. I think my plugs are gapped too tight. It's a little rough at idle, even dies down.
WRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #2525
WhiteBgeye02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224785
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: neenah
Vehicle:
2005 wrx-jdm207
i went black...

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride5000 View Post
afaik oem t/s headers are equal length.
i know. saw its a v7 so assumed single scroll.
WhiteBgeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ej207 owner wants opinions adbramsay Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 2 02-26-2011 07:29 PM
Ej207 V6 AndrewFD3 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 10 06-03-2010 04:53 PM
JDM Sti EJ207 V9 crank 75mm or billet crank (K1, Manley) VENDORS ??? L'frise Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 7 06-03-2010 09:24 AM
08 ej207 JDM dual AVCS heads on a built v7 ej207 icev7 Built Motor Discussion 17 02-21-2010 03:21 PM
Ver 8 EJ207 Owners Check In spoolinsuby Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 21 10-17-2005 01:56 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.