Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #4076
Torquey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 175334
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
JDM v8 EJ207 WRB

Default

I think I'm all set... can't wait for the motor

* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by Torquey; 09-07-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Torquey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #4077
WhiteBgeye02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224785
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: neenah
Vehicle:
2005 wrx-jdm207
i went black...

Default

thats pretty neat!^ weres the harness?!
WhiteBgeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:26 PM   #4078
iNfEk
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 21339
Join Date: Jul 2002
Chapter/Region: HIIC
Location: Kapolei, HI
Vehicle:
2002 LHD STI V7 6MT
12.9@103MPH EJ205 4EAT

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBgeye02
thats pretty neat!^ weres the harness?!
I think he integrated it already?
iNfEk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #4079
Torquey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 175334
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
JDM v8 EJ207 WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBgeye02 View Post
thats pretty neat!^ weres the harness?!
Haha.. of course had to forget that and couple of other things. Check the edited version now . AVCS is honestly the number one reason why i am doing the swap, and thanks to your help... wiring it up should be easy
Torquey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #4080
WhiteBgeye02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224785
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: neenah
Vehicle:
2005 wrx-jdm207
i went black...

Default

ha looks great in the pic! should work out great for you! incase anyone else needs one i got supplies for atleast two more harness's. its the grey wire setup in the middle of the picture! pm me for details
WhiteBgeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #4081
Concillian
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4414
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dublin, CA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan
Midnight Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBgeye02 View Post
ha looks great in the pic! should work out great for you! incase anyone else needs one i got supplies for atleast two more harness's. its the grey wire setup in the middle of the picture! pm me for details
I noticed your thread in the FS forum today and replied to that. I'll need one. PM me how much and where to paypal.
Concillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #4082
WhiteBgeye02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224785
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: neenah
Vehicle:
2005 wrx-jdm207
i went black...

Default

i cant use a thread since im not a vendor but i willl pm you. its an old thread that was supposed to die. IA perf is a nasioc supporter which is why a mod told me not to use a thread to sell them any more.
WhiteBgeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #4083
OppositeLock
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 54060
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: N Jersey
Vehicle:
Now: v8 207/v6 5mt
Then: JRTune fastest td04

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OppositeLock View Post
I've recently had some time to revisit this and have some additional questions. I traced all of the wiring based on the DS1 diagram and everything is there and pins appear to be in the right places. All connectors are connected firmly and grounds seem ok. I logged my NPS and gear calcs. The results were, NPS=1 and Gear=6 when in neutral and when in between gears. When driving, NPS=0 and Gear does not always = the gear I am in because I have a 5MT and I assume stock v8 6MT calcs in the rom.

Can anyone tell me if I either need to invert the NPS or replace it based on the above? Thanks in advance!
Solved! It turns out that the pins at the ECU connector were there, but in the wrong places. Swapped them and AVCS synched and works perfectly now. However, if anybody needs their NPS inverted in an A4TE002B (v8) rom, I can help. Thanks for all of the advice I received along the way, can't wait for a re-tune!
OppositeLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:37 PM   #4084
WhiteBgeye02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224785
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: neenah
Vehicle:
2005 wrx-jdm207
i went black...

Default

get ready for spooling like a boss!
WhiteBgeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #4085
PHruska
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 214589
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Berkeley CA/bozeman MT
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon
PSM

Default

Hey guys,
after a week of reading this thread im still deciding between a V7 and a V8. my ej205 shattered a pulley and just wrecked everything. good excuse for an upgrade.

the car is mostly a DD and wont be getting BIG power but im looking to end up about 300 or a little more to the wheels.
I've been talking with an importer and he has both motors, the v8 being cleaner and less miles. the only reason id go v7 over v8 is due to the apparent reliability being better. i drive a LOT of highway miles. bozeman, MT straight to san francisco and back a couple times a year. lots of road trips.

the importer is a well known and seemingly reputable guy but he is saying there is no harness from the ECU to the motor. and that it doesnt come with any wiring but whats on the motor. is that correct? i had heard that there was supposed to be some wiring you needed. i just wanted to double check before i jump in and am screwed.
Whats everyone's opinion at this point between v7 and v8s for my car and what im gonna use it for(DD, canyon drives and some hoonin)?
thanks

peter
PHruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #4086
207STi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 197062
Join Date: Dec 2008
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Vermont
Vehicle:
1998 Swapped Impreza
black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHruska
Hey guys,
after a week of reading this thread im still deciding between a V7 and a V8. my ej205 shattered a pulley and just wrecked everything. good excuse for an upgrade.

the car is mostly a DD and wont be getting BIG power but im looking to end up about 300 or a little more to the wheels.
I've been talking with an importer and he has both motors, the v8 being cleaner and less miles. the only reason id go v7 over v8 is due to the apparent reliability being better. i drive a LOT of highway miles. bozeman, MT straight to san francisco and back a couple times a year. lots of road trips.

the importer is a well known and seemingly reputable guy but he is saying there is no harness from the ECU to the motor. and that it doesnt come with any wiring but whats on the motor. is that correct? i had heard that there was supposed to be some wiring you needed. i just wanted to double check before i jump in and am screwed.
Whats everyone's opinion at this point between v7 and v8s for my car and what im gonna use it for(DD, canyon drives and some hoonin)?
thanks

peter
The engine harness will plus directly into your existing chassis harness (assuming you have a 02-05 wrx). The wiring you are thinking of is for avcs functionality and can be found at IAperformance. As far as v7 vs v8 goes, a v8 will be a slightly more complicated process, but you will likely get a newer motor and twin scroll header, up pipe, and down pipe.
207STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #4087
PHruska
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 214589
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Berkeley CA/bozeman MT
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooliojesus View Post
The engine harness will plus directly into your existing chassis harness (assuming you have a 02-05 wrx). The wiring you are thinking of is for avcs functionality and can be found at IAperformance. As far as v7 vs v8 goes, a v8 will be a slightly more complicated process, but you will likely get a newer motor and twin scroll header, up pipe, and down pipe.
it wont come with the DP, but it wont be USDM length anyway so ill need to find an aftermarket TS DP or weld one up anyway. shouldnt be too big a deal.
what would make the v8 a more difficult swap?

Peter
PHruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #4088
i2cou4u2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 246455
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHruska

it wont come with the DP, but it wont be USDM length anyway so ill need to find an aftermarket TS DP or weld one up anyway. shouldnt be too big a deal.
what would make the v8 a more difficult swap?

Peter
The only reason it would be more complicated is the DP dilemma. Easily solved with an eBay USDM DP and a twin scroll bell mouth, also found on eBay. Other than that they are pretty much the same swap.

Tom
i2cou4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:30 PM   #4089
PHruska
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 214589
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Berkeley CA/bozeman MT
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2cou4u2 View Post
The only reason it would be more complicated is the DP dilemma. Easily solved with an eBay USDM DP and a twin scroll bell mouth, also found on eBay. Other than that they are pretty much the same swap.

Tom
so what exactly is the difference between a bellmouth dp, and a twin scroll dp?
is the TS just bigger than the bellmouth or what? i know the valve needs to be able to open without hitting but is that the only difference?
PHruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #4090
i2cou4u2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 246455
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHruska

so what exactly is the difference between a bellmouth dp, and a twin scroll dp?
is the TS just bigger than the bellmouth or what? i know the valve needs to be able to open without hitting but is that the only difference?
The Bellmouth is the big open mouth that mounts to the turbo. The only difference between a USDM Bellmouth DP and a twin scroll Bellmouth DP is the flange that mounts to the turbo.

Tom
i2cou4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #4091
PHruska
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 214589
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Berkeley CA/bozeman MT
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon
PSM

Default

Ah that makes sense.
are most of you guys running a tune for 91 octane or whatever you have or using boosters? ive seen both in here and if i did it id want to run a 91 tune but am starting to be discouraged and thinking of just running 257.

and the other thing ive been wondering about is when the motor is tuned, im still going to be needing to drive to california, from 5500ft to 0ft and dont want to make the motor run lean and die. would i need to stop and retune or will the ecu and the maf be able to handle it?
PHruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #4092
WhiteBgeye02
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 224785
Join Date: Sep 2009
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: neenah
Vehicle:
2005 wrx-jdm207
i went black...

Default

no there are compensations in the ecu that will add fuel for higher atm pressure outside. no worries. it will run on 91 but you will need a tune or someone who can take timing out of it until you get a tune. i can take timing out of it for you if thats all your worried about. that way you can safetly drive it around to your tuner. i woudl just run a stock size maf housing as well until you get it tuned.
WhiteBgeye02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #4093
PHruska
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 214589
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Berkeley CA/bozeman MT
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon
PSM

Default

im planning on running the whole swap stock besides the exhaust. its still a DD. i guess ill just etune it though. there are no tuners in this state haha. all im worried about is blowing it by doing something dumb. ive wrenched on cars for a long time but never taken on a swap like this or tuning.
PHruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:55 PM   #4094
i2cou4u2
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 246455
Join Date: May 2010
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: CA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHruska
im planning on running the whole swap stock besides the exhaust. its still a DD. i guess ill just etune it though. there are no tuners in this state haha. all im worried about is blowing it by doing something dumb. ive wrenched on cars for a long time but never taken on a swap like this or tuning.
Are you in the San Francisco bay area?

Tom
i2cou4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #4095
PHruska
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 214589
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Berkeley CA/bozeman MT
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon
PSM

Default

It's where home is, but I'm I'm school in Bozeman Montana(will be doing the swap in my garage up here).
PHruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #4096
Deedz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 311547
Join Date: Feb 2012
Chapter/Region: W. Canada
Location: SK, CANADA
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
Java Black

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHruska
im planning on running the whole swap stock besides the exhaust. its still a DD. i guess ill just etune it though. there are no tuners in this state haha. all im worried about is blowing it by doing something dumb. ive wrenched on cars for a long time but never taken on a swap like this or tuning.
My swap was the first I've done in any import, and besides not being as organised as I usually like to be everything went pretty damn smooth. I was really surprised how simple it is in our cars when not having to mess with the harness much. The mentioned IA Performance harness is what I used, and it was very simple to install. It took me longer than anticipated as I did a few things before the motor actually went in such as the timing belt/idler pulleys/tensioner, killer B oil pick-up and windage tray, turbo inlet, a couple seals just as precaution, and a block heater. So waiting for parts was painful at times.

My only warning I have for you is to make sure you get a proper ECU for your motor. I found a great list of JDM model year/engine code/ecu # info, which includes all pertaining part numbers as well. Its accurate in my findings so far, and its online somewhere. If need be pm and I would gladly email it to you (excel doc).

I ended up with a V9 ECU with my V7 engine and had to track down one on here. Many thanks to fellow enthusiasts willing to help out btw.
The V9 cannot be used in our cars without a lot of headaches. They require the Immobilizer system for the ECU to activate, and of course our model years don't have that again assuming your WRX is MY02 - 05.

Only issues I'm having is due to the fact that I kept my 4EAT (auto) and I'm trying to figure out all that is required to properly run it. So your swap should be even easier haha. Anyways I don't have the knowledge that many other do here, but I'll help out where I can. Good luck!
Deedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #4097
PHruska
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 214589
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Berkeley CA/bozeman MT
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon
PSM

Default

just want to clarify a few things:

planning on doing the gates racing kit with water pump for an 04 STi right? dont want to have the wrong part.

I read it somewhere but cant seem to find it anywhere again, what thermostat works on the 207? will any of them? 02 wrx or 04 sti?

also, is it worth it to change the cam pulleys? i had one shatter on my 205, hence the swap.

planning on changing:

1.timing belt & guide
2.Sparks: NGK (2667) BKR7EIX Iridium IX Spark Plug (gapped to 0.026)
3.Fluids (duh)
4. waterpump + OEM water pump gasket.
5.thermostat
6. kinugawa vf37 TS gasket set

also, what oil have you guys been running in the 207? i read a bunch are using t6, but i tend to run valvoline or castrol full syn. what do you guys use?

Last edited by PHruska; 09-12-2012 at 06:27 PM.
PHruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #4098
kayen
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 57287
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Vehicle:
2002 Bugeye STi
MY03 Fozzy XS

Default

Been running Rotella T6 the past 3.5 years in my EJ207. Engine has been through various track days, AutoX and DD. Rotella T6 is a hard oil to pass up for how good it works with Turbo Subaru engines and then there is always the price.

Lots of Great UoA's on Bobistheoilguy too.
kayen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #4099
Torquey
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 175334
Join Date: Mar 2008
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Dallas, TX
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
JDM v8 EJ207 WRB

Default

Here are my suggestions, as I'm in the middle of my swap too:

1. Gates Racing TCKWP328RB... put mine in yesterday, fits perfect!
2. NGK Iridium BKR7EIX/ 2667... not sure if gapping an iridium tip is a good idea.
3. Subaru coolant + conditioner + distilled water.
4. Waterpump actually comes with the Gates kit, just get the OEM gasket.
5. Definitely get OEM Thermostat and gasket (Any 02+ Impreza)
6. Kinugawa gaskets should be fine.

I'm sticking with Rotella T6 5w40, since it worked great in my ej205.. but I've also seen guys like Clark recommend 10w40 (i.e. Castrol Syntec). Definitely no 30 weight!
Torquey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #4100
PHruska
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 214589
Join Date: Jun 2009
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: Berkeley CA/bozeman MT
Vehicle:
2002 wrx wagon
PSM

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquey View Post
Here are my suggestions, as I'm in the middle of my swap too:

1. Gates Racing TCKWP328RB... put mine in yesterday, fits perfect!
2. NGK Iridium BKR7EIX/ 2667... not sure if gapping an iridium tip is a good idea.
3. Subaru coolant + conditioner + distilled water.
4. Waterpump actually comes with the Gates kit, just get the OEM gasket.
5. Definitely get OEM Thermostat and gasket (Any 02+ Impreza)
6. Kinugawa gaskets should be fine.

I'm sticking with Rotella T6 5w40, since it worked great in my ej205.. but I've also seen guys like Clark recommend 10w40 (i.e. Castrol Syntec). Definitely no 30 weight!
perfect. thanks for the quick response. ill order most of that tonight. is there anything else im missing? are you doing v7 or v8?
PHruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ej207 owner wants opinions adbramsay Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 2 02-26-2011 07:29 PM
Ej207 V6 AndrewFD3 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 10 06-03-2010 04:53 PM
JDM Sti EJ207 V9 crank 75mm or billet crank (K1, Manley) VENDORS ??? L'frise Private 'Wanted' Classifieds 7 06-03-2010 09:24 AM
08 ej207 JDM dual AVCS heads on a built v7 ej207 icev7 Built Motor Discussion 17 02-21-2010 03:21 PM
Ver 8 EJ207 Owners Check In spoolinsuby Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 21 10-17-2005 01:56 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.