Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday December 28, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
Bowzyr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 50404
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: sb, ca
Default Bringing a modded car in to the dealership

My car is having an issue with some smoke coming out of the exhaust at idle sometimes.. Using these forums, most people seem to think it is a turbo seal..

Question is, should i even bother bringing my car into the dealership since it is modified? (Cobb Stage 2 AP & Catless DP)

Anyone have any experience with a WRX with similar mods and dealerships not doing warranty work?

Am i better off just having a private mechanic take a look at it?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Bowzyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:39 PM   #2
hyped
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 103729
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX
CGM

Default

i'm also cobb stage 2 catless..and although i haven't taken my car to the dealership recently, i'd suggest a private mechanic.

subscribed
hyped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:39 PM   #3
Subie Gal
GC84Ever
Super Moderator
 
Member#: 301
Join Date: Sep 1999
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
1970 FF-1 & '70 Van
02 WRX/01 RS

Default

You gotta pay to play

dont mod the car if you're gonna get all wound up about warranty issues....


Jamie
Subie Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Bowzyr
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 50404
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: sb, ca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie Gal View Post
You gotta pay to play

dont mod the car if you're gonna get all wound up about warranty issues....


Jamie
Not wound up.. just asking for peoples experiences.. anyone specifically in so-cal area especially
Bowzyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:13 PM   #5
thehollowrift
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 86788
Join Date: May 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: MoCo
Vehicle:
04 STi
PSM

Default

There are several points you did not mention in your post.

#1 Is your car still within the warranty period?
#2 Do you still have all the original parts?

If your car is within its warranty period you can do several things and they all involve some wrench time by you or a private mechanic. If you really feel that the problem is a very large one, you can do two things.

Return the car to complete stock and take it to the dealer for warranty work. You have to figure your bottom line with the expense of returning it to stock and what the cost of the problem could potentially be. AND, make sure theres no evidence of mods.......

If your car isn't in the warranty period - take your car to them with the mods. Pay retail for them to fix your ride, or pay a private mechanic to fix the issues.


Just bring lots of money - sounds like a bad situation. Best of luck.
thehollowrift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:33 PM   #6
dodiox
Visiting NASIOC Timeout
 
Member#: 85718
Join Date: Apr 2005
Vehicle:
06 WRX
Cobb Stage 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subie Gal View Post
You gotta pay to play

dont mod the car if you're gonna get all wound up about warranty issues....


Jamie
he is not asking for your personal opinion if its not gonna help.
no wonder you have a fan club at I-club.

to the OP i suggest a private shop or maybe put back the stock exhaust and see what the dealer says about warranty without letting them know your car is modded.
dodiox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
brett s
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 44606
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Ball Ground, GA
Vehicle:
2014 Ram 1500 4x4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehollowrift View Post
Return the car to complete stock and take it to the dealer for warranty work. You have to figure your bottom line with the expense of returning it to stock and what the cost of the problem could potentially be. AND, make sure theres no evidence of mods.......
The correct term for the above is "warranty fraud"...yes, it's both illegal & immoral.

They aren't stupid, it's very easy to tell when parts have been removed & reinstalled.
brett s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:26 PM   #8
Mavrik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 90347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage AK
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett s View Post
The correct term for the above is "warranty fraud"...yes, it's both illegal & immoral.

They aren't stupid, it's very easy to tell when parts have been removed & reinstalled.
Quoted for truth.

The best bet if your looking for a warranty coverage is to approach them with the car exactly as it is. Inform them of what you have on the car. Be open and honest with them. By being honest and showing the willingness to work with them, they will return the same favour. I work at a subaru dealership and we will often look after a repair because the customer was straight forward with what happened.
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:03 PM   #9
Opie
Floresbian
Moderator
 
Member#: 470
Join Date: Oct 1999
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Riverview, Florida - U.S.A.
Vehicle:
2015 Forester 2.0XT
'14 XV Crosstrek, '99 SF

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodiox View Post
he is not asking for your personal opinion if its not gonna help.
no wonder you have a fan club at I-club.

to the OP i suggest a private shop or maybe put back the stock exhaust and see what the dealer says about warranty without letting them know your car is modded.
Wow, it's advice like this that causes a lot of owners unneccessary headaches.

As a Subaru Service Advisor...I'm more willing to help those that are straight with me, than those that try and pull something on me...
Opie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:17 PM   #10
dibblejr
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 94070
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Dirty South
Vehicle:
05 LGT
PSM

Default

Jamie put it correctly and nicely.
dibblejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:24 PM   #11
SiC Stoner
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 99068
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago burbs
Vehicle:
05 Wrx
Blue

Default

Umm don't bother being honest with SOA. DO NOT bring ur car into the dealership with mods. They will not even bother talking to you about ur warrenty. They might bull**** you and pretend they are concidering it, but they won't warrenty jack ****. So if you have the stock parts put them back on your car. This is not dishonest. Its called don't ask don't tell.
SiC Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:29 PM   #12
Subie Gal
GC84Ever
Super Moderator
 
Member#: 301
Join Date: Sep 1999
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
1970 FF-1 & '70 Van
02 WRX/01 RS

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett s View Post
The correct term for the above is "warranty fraud"...yes, it's both illegal & immoral.

They aren't stupid, it's very easy to tell when parts have been removed & reinstalled.
exactly what I said.

you pay to play

dont modify your car if you're gonna get your lil panies in a bunch over warranty issues.


take the car in, see what they say.

if they say nope

then man up... and pay up.
Subie Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:31 PM   #13
SiC Stoner
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 99068
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago burbs
Vehicle:
05 Wrx
Blue

Default

yeah well man up now because they aint gunna warrenty a thing. Bring your check book...
SiC Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 11:56 PM   #14
RexyGirl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63616
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mastro Subaru, Sanford FL
Vehicle:
1996 Volvo 850 Turbo
with mods :)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie View Post
Wow, it's advice like this that causes a lot of owners unneccessary headaches.

As a Subaru Service Advisor...I'm more willing to help those that are straight with me, than those that try and pull something on me...

I second that....

As another Subaru Advisor, I just witnessed SOA paying for a clutch on an 05 Sti, with 15K miles and modded to the gills....why? Because the customer was always at the dealer doing services, this was his second Subaru (upgraded from a WRX) and I put in a good word for him...why? Because he didn't BS me, nor remove parts from his car. He knew as well as I did he didn't deserve it.

Also, not only does removing parts give owners headaches, it gives techs headaches as well. It makes their job harder when they have to diagnose a problem that may or may not be due to a modification. (and what happens when you remove the mod and the problem goes away? I've seen it happen)
RexyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:14 AM   #15
SiC Stoner
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 99068
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Chicago burbs
Vehicle:
05 Wrx
Blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexygirl View Post
I second that....

As another Subaru Advisor, I just witnessed SOA paying for a clutch on an 05 Sti, with 15K miles and modded to the gills....why? Because the customer was always at the dealer doing services, this was his second Subaru (upgraded from a WRX) and I put in a good word for him...why? Because he didn't BS me, nor remove parts from his car. He knew as well as I did he didn't deserve it.

Also, not only does removing parts give owners headaches, it gives techs headaches as well. It makes their job harder when they have to diagnose a problem that may or may not be due to a modification. (and what happens when you remove the mod and the problem goes away? I've seen it happen)

well false hope like this is a big headache too.

That clutch story is a joke. I cannot believe that story, something is missing. The person is like the son of the owner or somthing. How did you "put in a good word" stop with the bull ****.

To the op: You might as well just take it to a private shop like you mentioned in your post. They will not warrenty a thing.

It is true when you that you have to pay to play, and with Subaru you will be paying a lot more than you ought to be...
SiC Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:11 AM   #16
Mr Nice Guy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 107224
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Melbourne, FL
Vehicle:
2005 M3
Imola Red

Default

If they won't warranty it. A blown turbo seal sounds like a perfect excuse to bolt a VF-39 on that sucker or for a some more $$ an FP18G. That's what I'd do.
Mr Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:36 AM   #17
Rally_WRX1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 109797
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Sedan
All Wheel Driven

OMGHi2U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Nice Guy View Post
If they won't warranty it. A blown turbo seal sounds like a perfect excuse to bolt a VF-39 on that sucker or for a some more $$ an FP18G. That's what I'd do.

Um, with the supporting mods I'd hope

bigger injectors
walbro fuel pump
perhaps a better tmic such as STi or Ebay
some form of EM with supporting mods for that

wouldn't be a smart idea to put a bigger turbo on there without the supporting mods.

just my .02
Rally_WRX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:36 AM   #18
Rally_WRX1
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 109797
Join Date: Mar 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Maryland
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Sedan
All Wheel Driven

Default

also might I add that tasteful tune! ftw
Rally_WRX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:03 AM   #19
KingGalantVr4
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 121092
Join Date: Jul 2006
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Space Station
Vehicle:
LOOK OUT BELOW!
Re-entry is a &!^%#

Default

When you drop the car off bring pastries ... not cheap ass doughnuts, PASTRIES! When I worked at VW we had a customer with a Super 70, FMIC, Slammed, STANDALONE GTI that got warranty work on a regular basis because he brought the best pastries and coffee in. I have personally seen warranty’s get chucked out by customers that have a chip on their shoulder and only have a BOV. A good attitude and sucking up will get your everywhere. Being an A-Hole will get you nowhere.
KingGalantVr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:33 AM   #20
lakepop
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3851
Join Date: Jan 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: WNY/NVA
Vehicle:
2007 Outback Ltd.
Champagne Gold

Lightbulb

I'm with Jamie.......if you want to play you need to pay. When you start modding a fairly well engineered auto ......then have problems.......don't be upset when its not covered .
lakepop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:54 AM   #21
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingGalantVr4 View Post
When you drop the car off bring pastries ... not cheap ass doughnuts, PASTRIES! When I worked at VW we had a customer with a Super 70, FMIC, Slammed, STANDALONE GTI that got warranty work on a regular basis because he brought the best pastries and coffee in. I have personally seen warranty’s get chucked out by customers that have a chip on their shoulder and only have a BOV. A good attitude and sucking up will get your everywhere. Being an A-Hole will get you nowhere.
+1

We love donuts (Krispy Kreme to be precise)

Or the Apple Fritter

SicStoner.

I know it's hard to believe, but spending money at the dealer can actually get them to stand up for you and help out! I know, it's a weird thing but it actually works!
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:51 AM   #22
RexyGirl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63616
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mastro Subaru, Sanford FL
Vehicle:
1996 Volvo 850 Turbo
with mods :)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiC Stoner View Post
well false hope like this is a big headache too.

That clutch story is a joke. I cannot believe that story, something is missing. The person is like the son of the owner or somthing. How did you "put in a good word" stop with the bull ****.

To the op: You might as well just take it to a private shop like you mentioned in your post. They will not warrenty a thing.

It is true when you that you have to pay to play, and with Subaru you will be paying a lot more than you ought to be...
I can give you more examples if you'd like....or you can do a search on here for Star Subaru.

Nothing is left out of that story....It's the truth, really happened, just last week. If I knew the customer was a member on here, you could ask them yourself
RexyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:14 AM   #23
bhhamblin
n00b Moderator
Moderator
 
Member#: 99397
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Clinton, UT
Vehicle:
13 STI, 83 DR30
93 R32 GTS-T, 93 R32 GTR

Default

just put the stock dp back on. they are not going to know that you are on stage 2
bhhamblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:23 AM   #24
bofh
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 59287
Join Date: Apr 2004
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Houston, Tx
Vehicle:
2007 WRB WRX
2004 WRB WRX (RIP)

Default

Search on the dealers close to you. All are independently owned, so that means some rock and some suck. I have a dealer that rocks. I get my oil changed there, and having an existing relationship helps. I have no fear about warranty. (On the new car I will get. The old one was long passed it. <sniff>)
bofh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #25
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhhamblin View Post
just put the stock dp back on. they are not going to know that you are on stage 2


Because we can't tell that the downpipe bolts/nuts were recently R&R'd

Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why is it never easy when you take a modded car to the dealership! Chandy69 Tri-State Area Forum 23 01-22-2008 05:58 PM
Barrett-Jackson to Bring Premier Collector Car Auction to Las Vegas in 2008 NYCshopper Non-Subaru News & Rumors 0 10-29-2007 08:46 PM
How to go to the dealership with the car i want to buy Diabolical1 CC General Community 5 08-16-2005 05:54 PM
Should I put the car back to stock and take it to the dealership? MrSwede Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 2 05-26-2003 05:47 PM
I'm taking my car in to the dealer for syncro problems, will I get a loaner car? Cjchaps Service & Maintenance 6 12-19-2001 05:12 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.