|09-27-2006, 08:39 AM||#1|
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Reading, PAVehicle:
2002 Legacy L
97 Legacy GT AT Trans chatter, HELP?
My Dad has a 97 Legacy GT 2.5 DOHC with AT trans. The car is just over 100K. Recently when pulling out in a turn (right or left), the transmission is bucking. When straight it is fine. The trans shifts smooth. Its just the bucking an clunking when you put out while turning. Last night I did a test drive for him. He thought it may of been a bad CV joint, but its quite clear that isn't the issue.
here is what I did.
1. From a dead stop, made hard right turn. there was a lot of clunking and bucking until I turned the wheel straight. Same for dead stop and making left turn.
2. Checked AT fluid, fluid looks ok.
3. Checked transaxel fluid, level OK.
4. Inserted fuse in the FWD box to disable the AWD function. When the AWD function was disabled, the clunking and bucking stopped 100%.
So my guess is that there is an issue with the transfer between the front and rear wheels. My dad is not an aggressive driver.
Does anyone know if this is a common problem on GT's?
If it is a known problem, is it better to have the original trans fixed or find a new one? For example, i have already located one with 32K and they want $595.00 (shipping included).
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Help, 97 Legacy GT have a ?, possibly being sold||kschmohl||Mid Atlantic Impreza Club -- MAIC||14||12-30-2003 11:09 AM|
|Looking at 97 Legacy GT - Good or Bad?||flahdah||General Community||3||09-18-2003 11:38 AM|
|Looking at 97 Legacy GT - Good or Bad?||flahdah||Newbies & FAQs||0||09-16-2003 05:14 PM|
|looking at a 97 legacy gt tomorrow...||luvwagn||Legacy Forum||3||01-31-2003 04:09 AM|
|('93-'01) ne1 know gear ratios for 97 legacy GT?||2.5GT||Impreza Forum||0||06-08-2001 08:43 AM|