Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 09-28-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Norcalrallyist
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15510
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1993 MY94 WRX

Default Detailed description of my clutch problem need help

This is either a 93-94 front clip and I need som serious help.... Id like a confirmation that the 02 wrx parts will work in this drivetrain too. Some other boards say there is a differnce between 94 and 02 parts. Please help cause im out of ideas basically.

The first time I had just put the entire drivetrain in the car with the 94 wrx flywheel/02 wrx pressure plate/02 wrx TOB/02 clutch disc. When everything was bolted up the clutch fork was impossible to move by hand. I bled the clutch and after pressing the pedal a few times I heard a pop. I went to take a look at the fork and I was able to move the fork back and forth freely. I thought and was told it might be possible that the bearing came out of the pressure plate so I tried to hammer the fork in an attempt to fix this situation but was not able to. After removing the engine I found the TOB was still in the pressure plate.

I decided to try the 94 wrx pressure plate/94 wrx TOB/02 clutch disc the second time. I figured there must be some difference between the 02 and 94. I put the engine back in the car and again I could not move the clutch fork by hand. After a few pushes of the clutch the same pop noise occured and the fork once again was able to be moved freely by hand.

The third time I decided to lower the clutch pedal closer to the floor because I thought the fork might be exceeding its throw and coming out of the TOB. I also used the 94 pressure plate/94 TOB/02 clutch disc this time. Again the fork was not able to be moved by hand upon installation. I sat in the car and pushed the clutch pedal until I was satisfied the same problem would not repeat itself. I pushed the clutch in 200 times. The pedal was normal each time and I had someone else push the pedal while I watch the fork move. Everything seemed to finally be working. I worked the rest of the day on putting the car back together for the drive to texas and when i started it and pushed on the clutch it went straight to the floor. I got out and checked the fork and sure enough I was able to move the fork freely.

I found out that I was installing the bearing not according to instructions but im not sure if it would have changed my situation. I installed the TOB on the pressure plate. Then bolted the pressure plate to the flywheel. Then slid the engine towards the tranny and placed the fork in the TOB. Finally I put the pivot pin in after the tranny and engine were mated together. I dont see how putting the TOB on the tranny input shaft with the fork and pivot pin installed first then hitting the tob into the pressure plate would produce a different result but just in case, I wanted to clarify.

THanks
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Norcalrallyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 08:59 AM   #2
Norcalrallyist
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 15510
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
1993 MY94 WRX

Norcalrallyist is offline   Reply With Quote