Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Saturday August 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-06-2001, 01:15 PM   #1
racerwrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 10054
Vehicle:
2002 WRX

Default windshield squirter leak (aka., hood stain)

About a month into owning my 2002 Aspen White WRX, during it's regular weekly washing, I noticed yellow stains on the hood coming from the passenger-side windshield squirter. Sure enough, that squirter leaks fluid slowly throughout the day after the squirter's have been used. However, washing it, even using McGuire's Paint cleaner, would not take the stain out! I took it to one dealer, who said they were too busy, but the other dealer (where I bought the car) took me in.

They told me this leak was completely normal and there was nothing they could do about it. They did get a detail-guy to try cleaning up the hood (which helped, but they were unable to get the stain completely out.) They told me to keep an eye on it to see if it continued acting up. Well, it has. The stain is back, and I can't get rid of it again.

I called the dealer again, this time the Service Manager told me that there was nothing they could do about it. But when I bring the car in for it's first check-up (3k miles) they would clean it again. While talking to him, I also mentioned that my hood is starting to "yellow" in front of the intercooler too (passenger-side, where the scoop meets the hood.) He had no reaction.

Is anyone else having a problem like this?? Is my hood being stained "normal" functionality for this car? And if so, can someone suggest a more potent paint cleaner that might be able to get these yellow stains out of my brand new car?!?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
racerwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 02:06 AM   #2
Bimmer
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 4116
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza TS
White

I'm concerned about this since I just took delivery of white 2.5 TS... >100 miles of city driving and already a large paint chip in the front bumper.

Subaru paint sucks, check out the posts in the "appearance" forum...

I'd bet that the yellowing part on your hood scoop is some sort of plastic/composite... my buddy's bumper on his white Miata is yellowing around the exhaust, too, and it's plastic. Look at old cars, it's always the painted plastic that really looks crappy. Painted steel seems to hold up much better.

Dunno how to fix leaking windshield washer nozzles... there's no valve in there, they're open all the time, it IS pretty normal that they leak a bit. I suppose you could disconnect them to keep them from leaking, but then they wouldn't work, either. Best bet would be to find a different type of washer fluid... what kind are you using now that's turning paint yellow?

Good luck,

Ben
'74 2002tii
'98 CBR F3
'02 TS
Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 10:06 PM   #3
racerwrx
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 10054
Vehicle:
2002 WRX

The stains are from the Factory windshield washer fluid. And changing it was the only suggestion my dealer had-- they suggested just putting water in there (which will work wonders with winter coming up.)

So far the yellow stains are all actually on the hood (aluminium)... the scoop hasn't stained yet. I also have a number of chips in the front bumper, more around the fog-light area though. (I'm at 2,500 miles today, and the vehicle is garage kept day/night.)

I did hear one suggestion though, which was to re-locate the pressure valve for that squirter closer to the squiting unit (it's about a foot back right now.) That way there would be less unregulated fluid in the line. When I get a chance, I will look into this option further.

All in all, I still love the car... I've just never owned a vehicle that had paint problems like this before.

Cheers,
-- Erik
racerwrx is offline   Reply With Quote