Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday December 5, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Normally Aspirated Powertrain

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 10-11-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
polishguy29
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 37788
Default P0136 and engine shakes at idle

So for the past while, my 2000 2.5RS, 125k km, has been shaking every now and then when I'm idling at a light, and also if I try to accelerate hard, it feels as if the engine loses power between about 3000 and 4500 rpm. I currently have P0136 - O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2) code showing. About 2-3 months ago, I had P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected code showing. Went to the dealership to see what they say. They said I should replace the valve cover gaskets because oil was leaking down into the spark plugs and causing the misfire (oil was actually leaking past the spark plug O-ring). I replaced the gasket on both sides, and replaced the spark plugs, but after a few days, the codes all came back. I also got P0325 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 or Single Sensor) code at this point. I read on these boards that most people just replaced the knock sensor and the problem went away. Well I replaced it, it went away for a few days, but then the P0136 came in. So now I kind of want to buy the O2 sensor and try to replace it, but I'm also afraid of spending another $120 on a sensor, and having the same problem a few days later. In the summer of 2004, I had the P0136 code aswell and replaced the front O2 sensor, since my friend said the back one doesn't have anything to do with how the car runs. That solved the problem at that time for about a year, and then the bad idling problem started. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem, and giving all these error codes? I'm scared the shaking will screw up my engine over time, and also the crappy acceleration problem makes the car not very fun to drive
polishguy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2006, 01:12 AM   #2
Subie Gal
GC84Ever
Super Moderator

Member#: 301
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
1970 FF-1 & '70 Van
02 WRX/01 RS

Maybe it's time to simply take the car in, and have it diagnosed.

If the dealership cant sort it the first time,
the labor will be covered under warranty.

Sometimes, that really is the best option -
rather than simply throwing parts at the car??

many things can cause a CEL
and many issues can cause the car to run poorly

it may simply be time for a professional opinion...?

Jamie
Subie Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:40 PM   #3
polishguy29
Scooby Newbie

Yeah I guess I'll have to. I didn't know that their service is under warranty...so if I ask them to fix the shaking, and they do some work, and the shaking returns a few weeks later, I can go back there and get them to do some more service for free basically?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:10 PM   #4
sc00ter
Scooby Guru

Member#: 117767
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX (CWP)
3" TBE | DT Flex Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishguy29 View Post
So for the past while, my 2000 2.5RS, 125k km, has been shaking every now and then when I'm idling at a light, and also if I try to accelerate hard, it feels as if the engine loses power between about 3000 and 4500 rpm.(
My best friend had this same exact problem with his 99 RS (100,000 miles) and once his transmission was replaced the problem disapeared.
sc00ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 01:28 PM   #5
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru

Member#: 2272
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2016 Commodore SS
Heron White

Shaking at idle doesnt have anything to do with the transmission...
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
polishguy29
Scooby Newbie

Well I sure as hell hope I dont have to replace my transmission. I doubt it would be anything with the transmission either. I can't feel any shaking when I'm driving regularly, so it seems like the engine just isn't firing properly when its at low RPMs or if it tries to accelerate quickly.

Will probably take it into the dealership next week, if anyone has any ideas of what could be causing this problem before then, it would be very greatly appreciated. Thanks.