Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday April 18, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Water/Methanol Injection, Nitrous & Intercooler Cooling

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:17 AM   #1
busky2k
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 48548
Default Atomisation Issues

Sometimes I can't help but wonder if the WI systems (Shurflo + McMaster Carr type nozzles) atomise good enough. It seems to me as if the majority of the spray hits the opposite wall to the nozzle, then trickles down the pipe walls and pools in my FMIC piping.

Does anyone know our WI systems fully atomises under boost? Is the air flow speed fast enough so that the droplets never end up hitting the opposite end of the piping? I know we have to consider the evaporation that takes place but with a good intercooler, the charge temperatures wouldn't be much higher than ambient. It just seems like an awful lot of fluid coming out of the 1 nozzle in such a small space (ie 3" piping) when I did a demo with the pipe off the car.

Sometimes I think I'm better off swapping my M5 and going dual M2s to help with atomisation. Good or bad idea? Maybe those 90 degree angled injectors that some vendors are offering would be better?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by busky2k; 10-15-2006 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Added in a few details
busky2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
dibblejr
Scooby Guru

Member#: 94070
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
05 LGT
PSM

When you ran your test did you have the injector on?
If you didnt have your injector on it is more of a stream and not a spray.
The only true way to know would be to install 4 EGT sensors, one in each runner and use 4 EGT Guages and evaluate the temps.
With a mist I believe that the nozzle heads do atomize things enough for our cars. The nozzle also causes a backup of water so the stream you see is greatly reduced,
Do your test with an extra nozzle and you will see what I am talking about.

Jay-R
dibblejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
busky2k
Scooby Newbie

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by having the injector "on". Its a typical setup of a shurflo pump and a brass nozzle. I just hit the boost pressure switch whilst the FMIC pipe was off the car and looked inside to watch the spray.

But yeah I am thinking of going dual M2s but hippy says theres a chance of clogging. Anyone know if those filter screens in the nozzle are any good though? I believe 120 micron should be OK considering an M2 orifice is 380 microns?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
dibblejr
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
05 LGT
PSM

What I mean by the injector on is. You said you ran your test with the juice squirting the windshield. If you did not have the injector on the tubing during the test you would have a large stream of water.
If you had the injector connected you should have a spray. Without the injector it looks like a rather large volume of water, but with the spray head it does not look like an awful lot.
The way I recommend for people to test is to connect everything up the way it will be for the completed hook up.
Then unplug the tubing to the injector and run it outside the car to the windshield. Block the injector nozzle with a plug. Then test drive the car. This will let you know if you have the controller setting where you want them.
The way you tested you did not have air pulling the juice to your intake.
From this reply I think you may have your nozzle too far away from your TB.
You want the nozzle as close to the throttle body as possible.

Jay-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by busky2k View Post
Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by having the injector "on". Its a typical setup of a shurflo pump and a brass nozzle. I just hit the boost pressure switch whilst the FMIC pipe was off the car and looked inside to watch the spray.

But yeah I am thinking of going dual M2s but hippy says theres a chance of clogging. Anyone know if those filter screens in the nozzle are any good though? I believe 120 micron should be OK considering an M2 orifice is 380 microns?
Old 10-16-2006, 12:29 PM   #5
busky2k
Scooby Newbie

Hi there.

Sorry I think you misunderstood me (not sure where you got the windsheild thingy!). I've had the system running now for 2 months. My "test' involved just removing the 1 section of FMIC piping which the nozzle is screwed into and activating the pump and looking inside the piping that I pulled off (its a 90 degree bend, 20cm long).

What I saw was the spray coming out of the nozzle was like a jet just spraying the walls inside the pipe. What I was asking was, does this still happen under boost, or does it get atomised properly? Just seems like a lot of water for the air to try and evaporate in 1 go. (FWIW my nozzle is located just after the outlet of my FMIC and a LED to tell me when the system activates)
Old 10-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
dibblejr
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
05 LGT
PSM

Gottcha,
The air alone does not evaporate the water. The air, heat and pressure all play a role in this process.
Since you have been running it for two months you should have noticed a drop in your EGT's when the alky is running.
With a fmic you have even a further distance for the process to travel, depending on where you have the injector placed.
If your car bucks, cut outs during the spray you should change to a smaller injector.
Depending on when you bought your system you either got one injector or two injectors with your kit.

If your car is running good and you note that you are using fluid then you should be setup correctly.

Jay-R
Quote:
Originally Posted by busky2k View Post
Hi there.

Sorry I think you misunderstood me (not sure where you got the windsheild thingy!). I've had the system running now for 2 months. My "test' involved just removing the 1 section of FMIC piping which the nozzle is screwed into and activating the pump and looking inside the piping that I pulled off (its a 90 degree bend, 20cm long).

What I saw was the spray coming out of the nozzle was like a jet just spraying the walls inside the pipe. What I was asking was, does this still happen under boost, or does it get atomised properly? Just seems like a lot of water for the air to try and evaporate in 1 go. (FWIW my nozzle is located just after the outlet of my FMIC and a LED to tell me when the system activates)