Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday September 19, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Warranty Issues & SOA Problems

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #1
t.renz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 49067
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Shakedown Street, Buffalo NY
Vehicle:
2006 BMW 330i ZSP
Snob Silver

Default Denied the ABS TSB

Took my 02 WRX Wagon to have the tsb for the abs performed and was denied because my car has over 36,000 miles. Is that right?
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
t.renz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:50 PM   #2
nich0lai
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 111538
Join Date: Apr 2006
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2003 wagon go vroom
bug covered

Default

Edited because apparently I was wrong

Last edited by nich0lai; 10-31-2006 at 01:26 AM.
nich0lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Default

The ABS module is a one time repair regardless of mileage / age.

Find another dealer or show them your letter.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:06 PM   #4
4wdwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72042
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Sunshine
Vehicle:
2002 WRX impreza
WRB "Blue Mammoth"

Default

so TSB can't be denied? It is a safety issue. I got 46k can I still do it?
4wdwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:11 PM   #5
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdwrx View Post
so TSB can't be denied? It is a safety issue. I got 46k can I still do it?
It is not a TSB, it is a customer satisfaction campaign and it is NOT a safety issue.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:20 PM   #6
DrD
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 22412
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Vehicle:
2012 Legacy 2.5GT
Ice Silver Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wdwrx View Post
so TSB can't be denied? It is a safety issue. I got 46k can I still do it?
the way the letter reads, if you have a car which it applies to, and you are experiencing the problem, they will swap it out - the only exceptions mentioned in the letter were a modified brake system - I'd fire off an email to SoA and have them straighten it out.
DrD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:35 PM   #7
Kostamojen
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2272
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Location: haha XD
Vehicle:
2013 Subaru 599 :P
Galaxy Blue Sexy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaslayer View Post
It is not a TSB, it is a customer satisfaction campaign and it is NOT a safety issue.
Indeed.

You have to pay for this, its not a warranty/recall item.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:52 PM   #8
Impreza01
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152
Join Date: Aug 1999
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Indeed.

You have to pay for this, its not a warranty/recall item.
Are you sure about this? I didn't have to pay for mine. The only catch I was told is I can't go back to the older module.
Impreza01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:29 PM   #9
RexyGirl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 63616
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Mastro Subaru, Sanford FL
Vehicle:
1996 Volvo 850 Turbo
with mods :)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post
Indeed.

You have to pay for this, its not a warranty/recall item.

No, you do NOT have to pay for this. Take your letter to the dealer and have them pull your VIN coverage inquiry. If it applies to your vehicle, it will state it right near the bottom of the first page (PM me the last 8 of your VIN and I can check it for you)

The only way they can deny it is if it has already been done or the brake system has been modified.

Mileage and/or age does not matter for this customer satisfaction program.
RexyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:10 AM   #10
dust12
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 13417
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
Blue

Default

I had 120k miles and it was done free of charge at the dealership.
dust12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:51 AM   #11
KmanRuffian
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48360
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5-door
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexygirl View Post
No, you do NOT have to pay for this. Take your letter to the dealer and have them pull your VIN coverage inquiry. If it applies to your vehicle, it will state it right near the bottom of the first page (PM me the last 8 of your VIN and I can check it for you)

The only way they can deny it is if it has already been done or the brake system has been modified.

Mileage and/or age does not matter for this customer satisfaction program.
Agreed, find a different dealer...

-D
KmanRuffian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:05 AM   #12
BryanH
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 993
Join Date: Feb 2000
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: nova
Default

Mine was done free as well....and made all the difference in the world.
BryanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:01 PM   #13
t.renz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 49067
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Shakedown Street, Buffalo NY
Vehicle:
2006 BMW 330i ZSP
Snob Silver

Default

Sounds like the guy I talked to was full of it.
t.renz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:08 PM   #14
carrman
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 69137
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Medford, OR
Vehicle:
2007 2.5i Outback
1966 Chrysler 300

Default

Mine was done free at 45,000 miles. I concur you need to find a different dealer to do it.
carrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:16 PM   #15
Mavrik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 90347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage AK
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Default

is your car experiencing the issue? If not they will not be required to perform it. Its a TSB which is NOT a recall or campaign. They do not appear when running your VIN in the vehicle inquiry. Its a notice to techs that should someone come in complaining about what this fix corrects, then Subaru will replace the module when the tech can confirm the concern. If he can't, they are not going to hand out free modules worth several hundred dollors simply because you own the same kind of car the TSB refers to.

Edit... this is only for a TSB. My error on the module being a one time free from Subaru but must fall into the correct range.

Last edited by Mavrik; 10-31-2006 at 12:21 PM.
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:17 PM   #16
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post
is your car experiencing the issue? If not they will not be required to perform it. Its a TSB which is NOT a recall or campaign. They do not appear when running your VIN in the vehicle inquiry. Its a notice to techs that should someone come in complaining about what this fix corrects, then Subaru will replace the module when the tech can confirm the concern. If he can't, they are not going to hand out free modules worth several hundred dollors simply because you own the same kind of car the TSB refers to.
Not a TSB.

Read the thread, read the notice.

It is a customer satisfaction campaign.

It does not need to be duplicated, it must only fall within the VIN range to be eligible.
Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:20 PM   #17
Mavrik
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 90347
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Location: Anchorage AK
Vehicle:
2013 BRZ & Imp 2.5RS
Yamaha FZ8

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondaslayer View Post
Not a TSB.

Read the thread, read the notice.

It is a customer satisfaction campaign.

It does not need to be duplicated, it must only fall within the VIN range to be eligible.
ah ok. I have yet to see one for some reason. And they very VIN specific I would imagine. Were as those internet sites people can go to and type in the make of car they own can get a whole list of TSB, campaigns and recalls that don't even apply to their VIN but they come in trying to get them done anyway. I get a lot of those.
Mavrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:21 PM   #18
Synx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 43712
Join Date: Sep 2003
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: Shreveport, LA
Vehicle:
60's B-52H
03 WRX WRB

Default

Should note that as far as modified brakes, i was able to talk to SOA about the issue and had then call my local dealer so i could get it done as well.
Synx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:21 PM   #19
KmanRuffian
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 48360
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Vehicle:
2011 WRX 5-door
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.renz View Post
Sounds like the guy I talked to was full of it.
At dealerships most are are for some reason...

-D
KmanRuffian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:50 PM   #20
pityr
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 31719
Join Date: Jan 2003
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Portland
Default

I had it done on my okld WRX and I had the old school 4 pot brakes and SS lines. They didn't care.
pityr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:51 PM   #21
t.renz
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 49067
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Shakedown Street, Buffalo NY
Vehicle:
2006 BMW 330i ZSP
Snob Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrik View Post
is your car experiencing the issue? If not they will not be required to perform it. Its a TSB which is NOT a recall or campaign. They do not appear when running your VIN in the vehicle inquiry. Its a notice to techs that should someone come in complaining about what this fix corrects, then Subaru will replace the module when the tech can confirm the concern. If he can't, they are not going to hand out free modules worth several hundred dollors simply because you own the same kind of car the TSB refers to.

Edit... this is only for a TSB. My error on the module being a one time free from Subaru but must fall into the correct range.

The car absolutely has the problem. When the abs kicks in, its as if the car "stops stopping."

Its the third car I have owned with antilocks, niether of the others were like that at all.
t.renz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:38 AM   #22
Hank3
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16157
Join Date: Mar 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Vehicle:
'03 Mazda P5 <><
'02 WRX & '08 MS3 SOLD!!!

Default

Man, I really need to bring mine in to get done. I've had the letter for what seems like a year almost. I'm afraid with my Stoptech BBK, that they'll just deny the work ASAP.
Hank3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:52 AM   #23
racekar
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 107988
Join Date: Feb 2006
Default brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.renz View Post
Sounds like the guy I talked to was full of it.
Dealers and people like that should not be allowed to get away with taking advantage of others. I would go to the soa like you did but take it one step further and talk to the dealer manager and tell them that you are complaining and reporting them to better business burea.

people should use the bbb more often if they get enough complaints something will happen especially if its the same dealership

http://www.bbb.com/
you can do it online
racekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:10 PM   #24
Samirr76
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 4835
Join Date: Mar 2001
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: Fl33tw00d, PA
Vehicle:
2003 Baja 5MT
Yellow w/ 220,000 miles

Default

A TSB is a technical service bulletin. They are just updates to existing repaior procedures. Repairs under TSBs are ONLY covered under warranty. Out of warranty, no coverage.

A Service Campaign is like a recall, where repairs are still covered at no charge outside of warranty, but the manufacturer issues them voluntarily, without being madated by the government. They are not safety issues but rather they are non-safety related defects, I.E., a faulty power window. Its a defect but not safety related like brakes, airbags, etc.

A typical "Recall" is mandated by the government (NHTSA or DOT) and is usually due to defect with could cause a safety issue. There is also no chanrge to repair, even out of warranty.

A "Customer satisfaction campaign" is like a Service Campaign only there is no safety issue, no defect, and is just being done to make customers happy. I.E., changing the "feel" of the ABS system so that customers feel more comfortable with the braking performance. In this case, no defect was found but Subaru acknowledged that WRX owners did not like the feel of the brakes, so reprogrammed the ABS ECU in response.

I hope this clears things up, there is alot of confusion on the boards about TSBs, recalls, etc.
Samirr76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #25
Hondaslayer
Purified Dick
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Forester, lifted.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samirr76 View Post
A TSB is a technical service bulletin. They are just updates to existing repaior procedures. Repairs under TSBs are ONLY covered under warranty. Out of warranty, no coverage.

A Service Campaign is like a recall, where repairs are still covered at no charge outside of warranty, but the manufacturer issues them voluntarily, without being madated by the government. They are not safety issues but rather they are non-safety related defects, I.E., a faulty power window. Its a defect but not safety related like brakes, airbags, etc.

A typical "Recall" is mandated by the government (NHTSA or DOT) and is usually due to defect with could cause a safety issue. There is also no chanrge to repair, even out of warranty.

A "Customer satisfaction campaign" is like a Service Campaign only there is no safety issue, no defect, and is just being done to make customers happy. I.E., changing the "feel" of the ABS system so that customers feel more comfortable with the braking performance. In this case, no defect was found but Subaru acknowledged that WRX owners did not like the feel of the brakes, so reprogrammed the ABS ECU in response.

I hope this clears things up, there is alot of confusion on the boards about TSBs, recalls, etc.

Pfft like you would know


Hondaslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ABS TSB - Am I ok at Cobb Stage 1? pillarguy17 Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 2 04-09-2007 11:14 PM
2002-2003 WRX ABS TSB (merged thread) MK19_ Warranty Issues & SOA Problems 264 04-14-2006 12:09 PM
Abs Tsb EddieC168 General Community 0 11-28-2005 06:39 PM
WRX abs TSB Wrxtasy Canada Region Forum 0 08-24-2005 10:31 AM
Is There a TSB for the ABS Problem? mclmk8d Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 2 12-28-2004 05:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.