Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday May 4, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Tribeca Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 12-07-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
turboBB
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 133095
Question Looking for Remote Start Install tips

Just got the remote starter today. I thought it was going to be as simple as plugging in the module but there's more to it than that. Definitely doable but not tonight since the temps have dropped quite a bit in the past few hours.

I was just wondering if anyone has done the install before and if there were any precautions to take? I've looked over the instructions and it seems pretty straightforward but would appreciate anyone pointing out any "gotchas" ahead of my install.

TIA!,
Tim
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
turboBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:33 PM   #2
turboBB
Scooby Newbie

Finally got around to installing this today. I think the first tip for anyone attempting to install this on their own is to do it on a warm day (preferably above 60 deg.) Reason being the most time I spent on the install was routing these super thick harnesses around the limited space underneath the steering column and it certainly helps when the temps are higher since the harness/wires will be softer.

Anyways, it's all installed now but I'm stuck since there is some programming that needs to be done with the Subaru Diagnostics Interface. Anyone knows how much one of these might run (or am I better off stopping by the dealer and letting them program it)?

Will try to post some pics later.

Thx!,
Tim
Old 12-11-2006, 09:58 AM   #3
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 122994

Did you install this in an 06 or an 07?
scot3818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:44 PM   #4
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Member#: 449
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2010 Legacy 3.6R Lim
Azurite Blue Pearl

My guess is the equipment to do the programming costs a lot, "select monitor" I think it's called. When I installed my shock sensor, I had to take it in to have it activated. They charged me like 20 or 30 bucks to hook it up. Lets hope the ECU has a spot in the programming on the 06 to activate it and be seen by the system. Let us know.
Peaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #5
turboBB
Scooby Newbie

Scot, this was on an 07.

I've set up an appt with the service dept later this week to have it programmed. Will ask them if it's possible to install on 06 or not and post back.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #6
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Vehicle:
2010 Legacy 3.6R Lim
Azurite Blue Pearl

Sorry for some reason I was thinking it was an 06. Someone was talking about installing this on an 06 I thought it might have been you. If they can tell you if the 06 will work that might help some people out.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:17 PM   #7
tealdub
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 87598
Vehicle:
09 spec.B
burton custom 167

That was me. I am working on making this work on the 06 Tribeca. Need to figure out what the pin locations are on the BIU(body integrated unit). The remote start has two pins that hook into the BIU and if everything else is the same from 06 to 07 then I should be able to swap in the 07 BIU and route a two pin harness from under the dash to the engine bay, for the hood sensor, and go from there. If you ask Subaru they will tell you it won't work. Leave it to us, we'll work it out, it's only a matter of time
tealdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 03:07 AM   #8
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealdub View Post
That was me. I am working on making this work on the 06 Tribeca. Need to figure out what the pin locations are on the BIU(body integrated unit). The remote start has two pins that hook into the BIU and if everything else is the same from 06 to 07 then I should be able to swap in the 07 BIU and route a two pin harness from under the dash to the engine bay, for the hood sensor, and go from there. If you ask Subaru they will tell you it won't work. Leave it to us, we'll work it out, it's only a matter of time
Not so sure... We still haven't managed to get something as simple as the line-in working yet
Old 12-12-2006, 09:37 AM   #9
Peaty
Techno Sapien

Vehicle:
2010 Legacy 3.6R Lim
Azurite Blue Pearl

tealdub, check your PM's
Old 12-12-2006, 05:31 PM   #10
tealdub
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
09 spec.B
burton custom 167

What did you do about not having the two pin harness used for the hood safety switch? Not hook it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboBB View Post
Finally got around to installing this today. I think the first tip for anyone attempting to install this on their own is to do it on a warm day (preferably above 60 deg.) Reason being the most time I spent on the install was routing these super thick harnesses around the limited space underneath the steering column and it certainly helps when the temps are higher since the harness/wires will be softer.

Anyways, it's all installed now but I'm stuck since there is some programming that needs to be done with the Subaru Diagnostics Interface. Anyone knows how much one of these might run (or am I better off stopping by the dealer and letting them program it)?

Will try to post some pics later.

Thx!,
Tim
Old 12-13-2006, 07:02 AM   #11
turboBB
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealdub View Post
What did you do about not having the two pin harness used for the hood safety switch? Not hook it up?
I installed this on an '07 Ltd. and it has the 2 pin harness underneath the hood for the safety switch so no issues for me there. My issue remains with the programming of all the keys as well as the immobilizer unit now. I'm bringing it in this Fri or Sat to have that done. Sorry, wish I could be of more help to you.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:38 PM   #12
tealdub
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
09 spec.B
burton custom 167

Good luck tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:34 PM   #13
njjuliano
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 132041

turboBB,

Wondering if you have any additional tips on the remote starter install? Its a purchase that I'm considering and would appreciate your opinion on it.
njjuliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:03 AM   #14
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

Has anyone figured out how to get the remote starter working on an '06? I'd rather not go down the third party route as that usually involves leaving a key in the car for the transponder...
Old 11-15-2007, 08:54 AM   #15
CrazyCanuck
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 164164
Vehicle:
2006 B9 Tribeca
silver

I was having a system quoted for me... Code Alarm CA-670 remote start/alarm. I was told its a tough car to do. 06 Tribeca. Anyone install one of these?

and what do you mean by "leaving the key in the car for the transponder?"
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:22 AM   #16
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post

and what do you mean by "leaving the key in the car for the transponder?"
Since the Beca has a key transponder immobilizer you'll need to keep one key inside the car. AFAIK only the original Subaru remote start system can bypass the transponder, all others can't.

The ones I've looked at have a small box with some cables that hold the key and feed an antenna wire to the ignition ring so the transponder can read the key.

Sounds like a real PITA.

Subaru REALLY needs to find a way to let us install the 07 remote start in the 06
Old 11-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #17
CrazyCanuck
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 B9 Tribeca
silver

I guess I would need to purchase an extra key which I am sure is not cheap and leave it in the car.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:02 AM   #18
scot3818
Scooby Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
I guess I would need to purchase an extra key which I am sure is not cheap and leave it in the car.
Some of the folks I spoke too suggested getting a spare key (and have it programmed to the car), then sawing off the key portion of it...

Like I said; too much work, and too expensive...
Old 11-15-2007, 10:04 AM   #19
CrazyCanuck
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2006 B9 Tribeca
silver

Here is a link to a Subaru Doorlook Alarm Interface & Transponder Bypass, it is programmable with keys, but no keys are needed to stay in the car.

http://12voltshop.com/product.aspx?p...=13&id=DETAILS

Compatible with 06-07 Tribeca's and with any aftermarket remote system.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #20
cansled
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 201961

Could someone please tell me if I can install the remote start and then drive it to the dealer to get it activated/reprogrammed or will the vehicle not start/run until it gets reprogrammed?

Thanks
cansled is offline   Reply With Quote