Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday May 1, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Transmission (AT/MT) & Driveline

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 12-09-2006, 03:10 PM   #1
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Member#: 3687
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Default Tech: KAAZ LSD fuction

humm...I just learn how the LSD works mechanically. Posting this for a young learner, maybe too technical for him.

HERE I'm explaining how the KAAZ clutch type works.

Explaination
A differential has spider gears(pinions gears) and side gears so left and right tires can spin at different speeds. W/o it, the tires would be fighting against each other trying to spin the same speed because the INSIDE tire wants to spin slower and the OUTSIDE tire wants to spin faster. Inside tire has smaller circumference than the outside tire when you're turning.

Here you have the LSD unit. Lets look at the side gears. The axles go into here, and they are connected to the hubs, wheels. The pinion gears are meshed with the side gears, thus they are connected and move together and spin around, which is why it's called a differential. The pinion gears slide onto the pinion cross shafts. The pressure ring closes over the pinion gears when put together and the pinion cross shafts (the 4 of them) come up and are FLUSH with the pressure ring where you see the little NOTCH that's been cut on the pressure ring.
Looks like this when the side gears, pinion gears, and pressure rings are put together:

NOW the clutch (RS) plate B are connected to the side gears by cutout on the inner part of the plate/disc. Plate B will be spinning the speed the axles are spinning because it's connected to the side gear, which the alxes are conneted to.

The clutch (RS) plate A are connected to the differential case. The Plate A's sandwitch the Plate B's when put togehter.

The assembled Pressure ring is ALSO connected to the differential case.

NOW This is where the LSD comes into play. When you apply power according to gas pedal, the differential case spins and the clutch plate A and pressure ring turns together. The PINION CROSS SHAFT, which the pinions gears and side gears are meshed with will get turned by the pressure ring being that it's assembled with both pressure rings clamping onto the pinion cross shaft. The pinion cross shaft, pinions gears and side gears are what the PRESSURE RING is trying to spin.

The triangular cutout on the pressure ring where it clamps onto the pinion cross shaft is cut this way for a reason. The pinion cross shaft will try to push away the pressure rings because of this triangular cutout. When the pinions cross shaft pushes the pressure ring away from each other, the pressure ring sandwitches the clutch plates A&B together.

This sandwitching keeps the sidegear spinning with the speed of the differential case because the plates on the side gear and the diff casing are clamped together by the pressure ring. This pressure ring can side left to right in the differential casing if you're wondering, but it's just a little movement about 1mm. The more plates in there the tighter the space, and the initial tight space will make the LSD have some initial LSD effect to start out with even without applying force by throttle.

I hope I got this right.

Last edited by FuJi K; 12-09-2006 at 04:20 PM.
FuJi K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2006, 03:36 PM   #2
Unabomber
👌 Big Ron 👌

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Thanks, but you only explained how one type of Kaaz LSD functions. You have about 30 more to go.
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #3
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
Thanks, but you only explained how one type of Kaaz LSD functions. You have about 30 more to go.
I should have labeled it ...clutch type LSD function...lols

is that 30 the gear type, viscous, planetary gearset w/ lsd, helical, etc.??
Old 12-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
So Cal STI
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 93948
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2005 WRX STI
WR Blue

Hay It's a good start FuJi K! Thank's for the info!
So Cal STI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:54 AM   #5
FuJi K
Scooby Guru

Vehicle:
MY99 GF4 JDM 6spd
NF Performance

....maybe this would be a good addition to the FAQ?
Old 02-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #6
Unabomber
👌 Big Ron 👌

Member#: 18062
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
on car parts so PM
me b4 j00 buy

Indeed it will and thanks for the heads up about doing so!
Unabomber is offline   Reply With Quote