Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday August 27, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
North West Impreza Club
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Chapters > North West Impreza Club Forum -- NWIC

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2007, 10:09 PM   #1
Tuba Matt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 140543
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: WA
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
OBP

Default Dent Removal

So, the GF backed right into her friends garage today, leaving the garage door in pieces, and a 3 inch dent in the trunk of her car. There's a little bit of paint swap, but the main thing is just getting the dent out. Anyone know of a place/person that could remove a dent like that? How much should she expect to pay for about 3 inches?

BTW, she wasn't driving my car (nor will she), she was in her 97 escort
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Tuba Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
Matt92530
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 94085
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Eugene, OR
Vehicle:
2009 BMW 335i
Cloud Gray

Default

You should look into using a suction cup to pull that dent.
Matt92530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #3
Ensi
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 90329
Join Date: Jul 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Lake Stevens, Wa
Vehicle:
05 Sti
Gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba Matt View Post
So, the GF backed right into her friends garage today, leaving the garage door in pieces, and a 3 inch dent in the trunk of her car. There's a little bit of paint swap, but the main thing is just getting the dent out. Anyone know of a place/person that could remove a dent like that? How much should she expect to pay for about 3 inches?

BTW, she wasn't driving my car (nor will she), she was in her 97 escort
Where do you live it?
Ensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:29 AM   #4
Dragonbreak
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 96860
Join Date: Sep 2005
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2006 STI
Black

Default

I'd like to know as well because I have a couple of dents.
Dragonbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:08 AM   #5
GDBF
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 108473
Join Date: Feb 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Lakeland Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
2006 WRX Blouch
340whp/363wtq

Default

Go to Dent Wizard in Bellevue by 130th St and 20th.
GDBF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:11 AM   #6
Tuba Matt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 140543
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: WA
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensi View Post
Where do you live it?
I live in the Kent/Covington area.
Tuba Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #7
jcl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132215
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
06 Mitsubishi Evo
Wicked White

Default

If you want Matt I can take a look at it this weekend. We may be able to roll it back out but more than likely will just need a suction cup to pull it. I have a few tools I can use but am no professional. I dunno if I have a strong suction cup but can figure something out. If nothing else the girlfriend has a soft tip suction cup for carrying granite we can clean up and use.


I opened this thread laughing btw...let her know that =P.


PS. Is there a crease in it? Or just a pushed in dent? Crease makes it alot harder to flatten out.

Poor Garage door =(.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
Tuba Matt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 140543
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: WA
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
OBP

Default

Haha, yea I knew you were going to laugh when I was posting this. Yea, the garage door was made of wood. Poor thing got plastered.
Tuba Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #9
Solar Reflections
Vendor
 
Member#: 88346
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SRP
Vehicle:
3108 A St SE Auburn
WA 98002

Default

SRP will be hosting a Dent day very soon if you can wait a few weeks.
Solar Reflections is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
erich
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 64536
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: lynnwood, wa.
Vehicle:
2006 lexus is350

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar Reflections View Post
SRP will be hosting a Dent day very soon if you can wait a few weeks.
will they be able to do roof dents in addition to doors?
erich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #11
Tuba Matt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 140543
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: WA
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
OBP

Default

So, just saw the pics of the damage, and when she told me 'dent', apparently she meant 'I cracked the trunk lid and the brake light cover.'. So it looks as though no dent rolling is gonna get that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar Reflections View Post
SRP will be hosting a Dent day very soon if you can wait a few weeks.
But I will totally be there at SRP to get some door dings out of my Subie
Tuba Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 02:14 PM   #12
jcl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132215
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
06 Mitsubishi Evo
Wicked White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba Matt View Post
So, just saw the pics of the damage, and when she told me 'dent', apparently she meant 'I cracked the trunk lid and the brake light cover.'. So it looks as though no dent rolling is gonna get that out.


But I will totally be there at SRP to get some door dings out of my Subie
Hah!

I have a hammer and some 2x4's we can use for that kind of dent.

I had to do that to my girlfriends old truck after she hit a pole.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:22 AM   #13
ilnmcom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 53557
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2003 WRX - SOLD!
WR Blue Pearl

Default

So...I have something that may help you. Long story, so C/N only: A bicyclist hit the side of my parked car...and I witnessed it from my 3rd floor office. Nonetheless, he put an 8 inch dent into my fender, and quite deep.

I had heard that spraying a can of computer duster onto it would pop it out, and I thought I'd give it a try. (You turn over the can and frozen CO2 comes out)

Get this...it took 12 seconds. Dent out. I couldn't believe it. Depending on what your dent is...its worth trying. It cost me $4 to remove a pretty bad dent.
ilnmcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:15 AM   #14
Tuba Matt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 140543
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: WA
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilnmcom View Post
So...I have something that may help you. Long story, so C/N only: A bicyclist hit the side of my parked car...and I witnessed it from my 3rd floor office. Nonetheless, he put an 8 inch dent into my fender, and quite deep.

I had heard that spraying a can of computer duster onto it would pop it out, and I thought I'd give it a try. (You turn over the can and frozen CO2 comes out)

Get this...it took 12 seconds. Dent out. I couldn't believe it. Depending on what your dent is...its worth trying. It cost me $4 to remove a pretty bad dent.
Actually Josh told me to use dry ice, this is prolly the same concept. Have to give this a shot. At the least, it's gonna need a re-paint
Tuba Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #15
jcl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132215
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
06 Mitsubishi Evo
Wicked White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba Matt View Post
Actually Josh told me to use dry ice, this is prolly the same concept. Have to give this a shot. At the least, it's gonna need a re-paint

1. Get dry ice.
2. Wear gloves and a protective cloth.
3. Get a blow dryer or a heat tool.
4. Heat the dry ice then put it on the dent.
5. If dent doesnt have creases and is steel then it should pop out pretty smoothly. You may have to repeat a few times for larger dents throughout the circumference of the dent.


Most important step of all this: GLOVES. You will instantly damage your skin if you touch dry ice.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #16
ilnmcom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 53557
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2003 WRX - SOLD!
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Yeah. Dry ice should work just as well. If you need a quick place to get it, go almost anywhere that sells fish. I know QFC will sell you the dry ice that they pack their fish in.
ilnmcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #17
jcl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132215
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
06 Mitsubishi Evo
Wicked White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilnmcom View Post
Yeah. Dry ice should work just as well. If you need a quick place to get it, go almost anywhere that sells fish. I know QFC will sell you the dry ice that they pack their fish in.
I think you either need to be 18 or 21 now per QFC policy to buy dry ice though. Last time I bought some they carded me.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:15 PM   #18
Tuba Matt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 140543
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: WA
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
OBP

Default

Here is what the dent looks like btw. Paint is cracked and chipped, but the dent doesnt appear to have any creases, except where it is supposed to.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...6/P1010024.jpg

And yea, you have to be 18 to get dry ice. I have a friend who works at Safeway and said that you just have to ask at the front counter for it.
Tuba Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:27 PM   #19
jcl
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 132215
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: WA
Vehicle:
06 Mitsubishi Evo
Wicked White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba Matt View Post
Here is what the dent looks like btw. Paint is cracked and chipped, but the dent doesnt appear to have any creases, except where it is supposed to.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...6/P1010024.jpg

And yea, you have to be 18 to get dry ice. I have a friend who works at Safeway and said that you just have to ask at the front counter for it.

Ouch.

That may not come out from dry ice. Best bet may be to just get a new trunk for her.

We can hit up the junkyard next weekend if you want man. There are a few around here that might have a white trunk even. I doubt its going to be worth it to pop that back out, fix the ligth and paint the trunk =/. Easiest way and probably cheapest is going to be to just get a new trunk.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #20
ilnmcom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 53557
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2003 WRX - SOLD!
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Yeah...cracked paint ftl. Either way, your kinda screwed. I suppose you can still play with it. You really can't make it any worse.
ilnmcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #21
Tuba Matt
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 140543
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: WA
Vehicle:
2006 Impreza 2.5i
OBP

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilnmcom View Post
Yeah...cracked paint ftl. Either way, your kinda screwed. I suppose you can still play with it. You really can't make it any worse.
Yea That was more or less my theory. Her dad wants to get it bondo-ed and repainted and everything, and I was like uh....what? why not just replace the trunk and paint it. Swap the key lock and call it good. I dont know where any junk yards around here are, But yea we can check it out.
Tuba Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #22
ggta
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 58421
Join Date: Mar 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: prescott
Vehicle:
2006 wrx stg3+??
gray

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
1. Get dry ice.
2. Wear gloves and a protective cloth.
3. Get a blow dryer or a heat tool.
4. Heat the dry ice then put it on the dent.
5. If dent doesnt have creases and is steel then it should pop out pretty smoothly. You may have to repeat a few times for larger dents throughout the circumference of the dent.


Most important step of all this: GLOVES. You will instantly damage your skin if you touch dry ice.
I heard that this method only works on large dents, is that correct?

And here a video of someone doing it on their car.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379...ith_airduster/

How much is dry ice? I have a little more than 20 dents on my 2006 WRX and all of them are small. The dent size ranges from the size of a penny to half dollars, to even weird shaped dents.

Last edited by ggta; 04-21-2007 at 12:49 PM.
ggta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #23
ilnmcom
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 53557
Join Date: Jan 2004
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Seattle, WA
Vehicle:
2003 WRX - SOLD!
WR Blue Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggta View Post
I heard that this method only works on large dents, is that correct?

And here a video of someone doing it on their car.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379...ith_airduster/

How much is dry ice? I have a little more than 20 dents on my 2006 WRX and all of them are small. The dent size ranges from the size of a penny to half dollars, to even weird shaped dents.
You likely need to get a stick to rub the inside of the panel to get the smaller ones out....the dry ice may help there too, but I had to work the small ones out with more labor.

As for popping out without much work....it can be done, but really only with dents that are the size of your plam or larger (fingers not included...heh)
ilnmcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dents on Bodyline...Paintless dent removal? SSFWRX Interior & Exterior Modification 12 12-24-2005 06:43 PM
Any hear anything about the dent removal? Seca2man New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC 17 03-24-2002 05:31 PM
Name of the dent removing company? Arch Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC 2 06-09-2001 06:51 PM
Paintless Dent Removal in San Jose Suba_Roo Bay Area Impreza Club Forum -- BAIC 12 05-24-2001 11:10 PM
paintless dent removal Gin Tri-State Area Forum 2 03-16-2001 12:45 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.