Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 28, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Miscellaneous > Off-Topic

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
alacrity024
Review Crew
 
Member#: 49476
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Out of the car, long-hair!!
Default the reason that mankind will never get it "right"

cn: money




i wasn't gonna post this here because i knew that a bunch of people would leap on me and tell me that i start all kinds of retarded threads without any real basis just to get people to argue


but you know what? i really don't care, if you're one of those people you can eat a dick, plain and simple.






anyway i was thinking the other day and realized that there is a right way to live life on this planet and there are a lot of other ways. in glassblowing there is a term, the italian word "Volta" which basically means "the single best way to do something." if you want to make a glass horse, for instance, there are about a thousand ways you could do it, but there is only one way which is the single best, most efficient way. glassblowers strive for this in everything they do since wasted time means wasted money.

so apply that to life on planet earth. pretty big jump, i know. but there really is a "best" way to do things.. transportation, for example.. is the single best way to manage it through cars and roads? i think not. however we are deeply entrenchd in an automobile-dependant lifestyle.. here in north america, anyway. why? because a few people are making a ****LOAD of money at it. and a lot of people are making pretty decent money at it.

but the thing to realize is that it is NOT the best way to do it. not by any stretch. but it will not ever change purely for the better. the only reason it will change is if it can make people more money.


now take that and run with it like the typical retard-with-a-footlong-hotdog and see where you wind up. EVERYTHING we do is based not on how good it is for human beings or the planet they live on, it is based on how much revenue it will bring in. even ART has taken on this horrible direction. movies and music aren't created for the sake of pure artistic expression anymore, they are designed to make money and it makes me ****ing sick.

yes there are films and albums that don't quite follow that path, but the fact is that PLENTY of it does, and i really don't like it.



ciagrettes? oh come on, are you telling me that they serve a purpose to benefit a single goddamn thing? no, they exist to line someone's pockets. that's IT. people are getting MURDERED so that someone else can make money. un-****ing-believable.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
alacrity024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
Joe Boxer
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 63119
Join Date: Jun 2004
Chapter/Region: International
Location: Within Binding
Vehicle:
** Memoirs of a
Serial Bachelor**

Default

answer: women.
Joe Boxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:55 AM   #3
Asinine
Sufficient for Sharky
 
Member#: 55173
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I beat up big rocks
Vehicle:
with paddles.

Default

Holy cow, man.

This is Nobel Prize in the field of "No S***" material
Asinine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #4
L Bo
RIP Brother
 
Member#: 8739
Join Date: Jul 2001
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: ~ 38.45 -75.05
Default

You are just looking at civilization here in the US in the past 100 years, go back a few more hundred years, or look at the Amish. Sure there was commerce back then but money wasn't idolized like it is today.
L Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
docwhorocks
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 13772
Join Date: Dec 2001
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: -=OT SQUIRREL HERDER=-
Vehicle:
79 Chevy
Scottsdale

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacrity024 View Post

so apply that to life on planet earth. pretty big jump, i know. but there really is a "best" way to do things..
"Best" is a relative term.

What is best for you, may not hold true for me.
docwhorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:58 AM   #6
scrwrx
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 101523
Join Date: Nov 2005
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Default

That's why I want to move. Everything is all about money here. They don't care about people, they care about money. Like when companies do layoffs. They do it so they don't lose money.

It's not like they already don't have millions, they are just greedy and want more. They could care less about the average American who is working to pay bills. They just want more and more money. I want money too but I wouldn't do half the crap they do for money. It's just sad.
scrwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #7
Cjchaps
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 3181
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Chicago Burbs
Vehicle:
07 Rav4
Silver

Default

Money makes the world go round man.... unfortunately it's not gonna change anytime soon. I wouldn't say that everything and everyone is bad but he majority of the world runs as you say.
Cjchaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
alacrity024
Review Crew
 
Member#: 49476
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Out of the car, long-hair!!
Default

but was life better then? i would say that quality of life has improved. by no means am i complaining about the way things are now.. i'm fairly happy with them, but i think for sure that pretty much everything could be better if people's motivation to create wasn't primarily based around whether or not what they were doing would make them rich.
alacrity024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:59 AM   #9
cwb124
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 15571
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Not where you think
Vehicle:
2006 06 Forester XT
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacrity024 View Post
cn: money




i wasn't gonna post this here because i knew that a bunch of people would leap on me and tell me that i start all kinds of retarded threads without any real basis just to get people to argue


but you know what? i really don't care, if you're one of those people you can eat a dick, plain and simple.






anyway i was thinking the other day and realized that there is a right way to live life on this planet and there are a lot of other ways. in glassblowing there is a term, the italian word "Volta" which basically means "the single best way to do something." if you want to make a glass horse, for instance, there are about a thousand ways you could do it, but there is only one way which is the single best, most efficient way. glassblowers strive for this in everything they do since wasted time means wasted money.

so apply that to life on planet earth. pretty big jump, i know. but there really is a "best" way to do things.. transportation, for example.. is the single best way to manage it through cars and roads? i think not. however we are deeply entrenchd in an automobile-dependant lifestyle.. here in north america, anyway. why? because a few people are making a ****LOAD of money at it. and a lot of people are making pretty decent money at it.

but the thing to realize is that it is NOT the best way to do it. not by any stretch. but it will not ever change purely for the better. the only reason it will change is if it can make people more money.


now take that and run with it like the typical retard-with-a-footlong-hotdog and see where you wind up. EVERYTHING we do is based not on how good it is for human beings or the planet they live on, it is based on how much revenue it will bring in. even ART has taken on this horrible direction. movies and music aren't created for the sake of pure artistic expression anymore, they are designed to make money and it makes me ****ing sick.

yes there are films and albums that don't quite follow that path, but the fact is that PLENTY of it does, and i really don't like it.



ciagrettes? oh come on, are you telling me that they serve a purpose to benefit a single goddamn thing? no, they exist to line someone's pockets. that's IT. people are getting MURDERED so that someone else can make money. un-****ing-believable.
I think you're confusing 'best' with 'most cost effective'. A lot of things aren't the best we could do them, simply because it would cost too much money. Also, the best way for our current technology and needs is with cars and roads. There's absolutely no other attainable way for people to go to all the different places they go.
cwb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:00 PM   #10
Strider
Tasteful Mod
Moderator
 
Member#: 2197
Join Date: Aug 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: An adventure is just
Vehicle:
an inconvenience,
properly considered.

Default

I like money, it allows me to buy things.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
Dystinct
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 105759
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I am OT's complete
Vehicle:
lack of suprise
KatsSubyRocks!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwhorocks View Post
"Best" is a relative term.

What is best for you, may not hold true for me.


He should have said bestest.
Dystinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #12
Asinine
Sufficient for Sharky
 
Member#: 55173
Join Date: Feb 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I beat up big rocks
Vehicle:
with paddles.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderTB View Post
I like money, it allows me to buy peanut butter pie.
indeed
Asinine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #13
bluestonepath
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 123641
Join Date: Aug 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Vehicle:
'04 WRX Wagon
Platinum Dirty Metallic

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacrity024 View Post
ciagrettes? oh come on, are you telling me that they serve a purpose to benefit a single goddamn thing? no, they exist to line someone's pockets. that's IT. people are getting MURDERED so that someone else can make money. un-****ing-believable.
they exist to benefit my lungs, breath, and general aroma.
bluestonepath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #14
tardypizza
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 20122
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Location: mayheeco!
Vehicle:
RSV4 , KTM9fiddy
RSVR, '69 Vespa

Default

Kind of interesting to see a basis for the USSR's Cold War sentiment of "Capitalist Pigs"!

Mother Nature has very clever methods of finding the lowest energy state in any system. Even though on a small enough scale human beings tend to over complicate things and concern themselves with unimportant trivial matters (like money), I relish the fact that Nature will one day force human kind into a rest state. Perhaps with an asteroid.

Entropy will be the end of us all...eventually.
tardypizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #15
alacrity024
Review Crew
 
Member#: 49476
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Out of the car, long-hair!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb124 View Post
I think you're confusing 'best' with 'most cost effective'. A lot of things aren't the best we could do them, simply because it would cost too much money.
you um



yeah



um
alacrity024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:04 PM   #16
Strider
Tasteful Mod
Moderator
 
Member#: 2197
Join Date: Aug 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: An adventure is just
Vehicle:
an inconvenience,
properly considered.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asinine View Post
indeed
The world is a better place with peanut butter pie in it, and therefore, using Alacrity's patented jump to silly conclusions mentality, money is the supreme force for good in the universe.

Seriously though. The base point you're arguing is that people aren't creating for creativity's sake, they're doing it to get rich. THAT'S your reason for humanity's supposed failure?
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:05 PM   #17
imprezton
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 22958
Join Date: Aug 2002
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: Las Vegas
Vehicle:
2011 Land Rover LR2
Gray

Default

Revenue and profitability is the engine that drives the will for efficiency and volta.

They are the reason new products and procedures are developed every year. Believe it or not, money and the search for volta in any endeavor go hand in hand.
imprezton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:06 PM   #18
Beeker
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 61640
Join Date: May 2004
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: somewhere
Vehicle:
2012 STI
SWP

Default

i want to live in an ant society where we all work towards 1 common goal, which IMO would be getting the hell off this planet before it blows up...which it will one day...but thats only because we have stripped it of everything that keeps it alive...yeah i love the society and the america i live in, it's awesome.
Beeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:06 PM   #19
alacrity024
Review Crew
 
Member#: 49476
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Out of the car, long-hair!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezton View Post
Revenue and profitability is the engine that drives the will for efficiency and volta.

They are the reason new products and procedures are developed every year. Believe it or not, money and the search for volta in any endeavor go hand in hand.
i disagree.. because the best way to do something (and by "best" i mean "will make everyone happiest"
) is not always going to be monetarily profitable..
alacrity024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #20
alacrity024
Review Crew
 
Member#: 49476
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Out of the car, long-hair!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderTB View Post
The world is a better place with peanut butter pie in it, and therefore, using Alacrity's patented jump to silly conclusions mentality, money is the supreme force for good in the universe.

Seriously though. The base point you're arguing is that people aren't creating for creativity's sake, they're doing it to get rich. THAT'S your reason for humanity's supposed failure?
not for their failure, just for their inability to ever arrive at anyplace particularly useful
alacrity024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:07 PM   #21
Dystinct
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 105759
Join Date: Jan 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: I am OT's complete
Vehicle:
lack of suprise
KatsSubyRocks!

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker View Post
i want to live in an ant society where we all work towards 1 common goal, which IMO would be getting the hell off this planet before it blows up...which it will one day...but thats only because we have stripped it of everything that keeps it alive...yeah i love the society and the america i live in, it's awesome.


I hope you're kidding.
Dystinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:08 PM   #22
cwb124
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 15571
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Not where you think
Vehicle:
2006 06 Forester XT
Silver

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrwrx View Post
That's why I want to move. Everything is all about money here. They don't care about people, they care about money. Like when companies do layoffs. They do it so they don't lose money.
You're not 100% correct. I used to think that until I started taking business classes and opened my eyes. The officers of the business have a responsibility to the business, to keep it running. Yes they take a salary, and a generous one, I'm not debating that. But if companies didn't make layoffs of 5% or 10% of the workforce, eventually they'd have to layoff 100% of the workforce. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do to keep the business running, and if that means sacrificing 10% of the workforce so the other 90% (you included) can continue to have a job, then that's what you do.
cwb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:08 PM   #23
Strider
Tasteful Mod
Moderator
 
Member#: 2197
Join Date: Aug 2000
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: An adventure is just
Vehicle:
an inconvenience,
properly considered.

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacrity024 View Post
not for their failure, just for their inability to ever arrive at anyplace particularly useful
In your opinion.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #24
alacrity024
Review Crew
 
Member#: 49476
Join Date: Nov 2003
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: Out of the car, long-hair!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriderTB View Post
In your opinion.
which, as both of us know, is the only right one.
alacrity024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:09 PM   #25
El Camino
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 78760
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Open the door get on
Vehicle:
the floor everybody
walk the dinosaur

Default

lightbulbs could be made to burn forever. they don't becuase there is no profit in lightbulbs that last forever.

roads could be built with new compounds that would never crack or need maintenance. they don't build roads like that because there is no money involved with roads that don't need fixed.
El Camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What band are you truly upset that you will never see live? Neek Off-Topic 231 11-11-2009 01:40 PM
Reason #192847234837482 why you never get married while in the military. UberWilhelm Off-Topic 41 01-31-2008 11:31 PM
2 sightings today that I will never forget. (OBS owners are hippies) Val Southern California Impreza Club Forum -- SCIC 29 05-18-2004 06:18 PM
This Eclipse will never make it w/ that much juice metoo Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 49 01-14-2004 11:42 AM
Will never do it again! ImprezedRS Car Audio, Video & Security 7 12-29-2000 05:35 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.