Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 30, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:21 PM   #1
useful
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 36076
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Pearl Red

Default 90K WRX '02 maintenance and upgrading at the same time, good plan?

Hi there,

Im due for giving my subaru wrx 2002 a 90k maintenance soon.

Subaru Dealership 90k Maintenance List
-------------------------------------
- Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft] (Inspect)
- Camshaft drive belt (Inspect)
- Engine oil (Replace)
- Engine oil filter (Replace)
- Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections (Replace)
- Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system, hoses and connections (Replace)
- Air cleaner element (Replace)
- Spark plugs (Inspect)
- Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil) (Inspect)
- Automatic transmission fluid (Inspect)
- Brake fluid (Replace)
- Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions (Inspect)
- Brake linings and drums (Inspect)
- Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system (Inspect)
- Steering and suspension (Inspect)
=====================================

Since I have to change out some parts, I figure it would be a good time to upgrade the parts that have to be removed from my car. Like hoses, better timing belt, etc.

I've heard that the timing belt should be changed at 90k rather than 105k per a mechanic. At least, thats what he told me. I'm not sure whether or not to believe him, but Im posting here, so I can get your opinions from subaru enthusiasts.

I'm planning onto upgrading to a Greddy Extreme Timing Belt. Since I have to replace it, why not go with a better belt, yes?

http://www.greddy.com/products/displ...SubCategory=36

Also, since I have to replace hoses, I can upgrade to better hoses made by Samco Silicon Hoses. Im planning on getting radiator, turbo, intercooler, and ancillary hoses.

http://www.samcosport.com/us/samco.asp?make=subaru
TCS135/C Subaru Impreza GD/GG 2.0/2.5 WRX, WRX/Sti 09/00~ (2)
TCS135/C-A Subaru Impreza New Age/Vers 8 WRX 01~04 (9) Ancillary
TCS168 Subaru Impreza GDA/GGA 2.0 WRX 09/00~(3)
TB997 Subaru Impreza New Age 01/02 (1) Induction

The TCS168 hose above is the for the intercooler, I think.
The TCS135/C hoses above is for the radiator, I think.
The TCS135/C-A hoses are all over the engine bay.
The TB997 hose is for the turbo on the car, I think.

I also want to replace the fuel filter with an aftermarket one. But I haven't found a fuel filter other than the subaru dealership model. If there are any fuel filters that might be considered better than the dealership, please let me know.

http://www.subaruparts.com/catalog/?section=965

As for the brake fluid, Im going to replace my fluid with
Neo Super Fluid 610. I've read good reviews on this fluid, so, Im going to put this into my wrx.

http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/bkfluid.htm

In terms of oil, everyone seems to be using Mobil 1 on their wrx and I've been using Mobil 1 for some time now. So, im going to keep using my 5w-30 Mobil 1

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo...l_1_5W-30.aspx

Subaru Oil Filters were pretty expensive from the dealership, so I started looking for alternatives. Purolator, I heard was the same manufactor that made subaru oil filters. I used Purolator model #L14460, but I just ran out.

So, Im looking for a good substitute. Im planning on using a Mobil 1 filter since my car uses the same oil. Mobil 1 Model M1-112.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/Mo.../Homepage.aspx
(Sorry, no direct linkie to the oil filter page)

That should take care of all the items I need for the definite, MUST-FIX items on the list.

In case, I have to change out spark plugs, Ive heard good reviews on Denso Iridium spark plugs. So, Ill get a set of 4 for my wrx, Prem Plug No: PK20PR-P8.

http://www.densoiridium.com/

In terms, of Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil) or Automatic transmission fluid, I have absolutely no idea what kind of aftermarket fluid to get for my wrx. I've been searching around without any luck. If you could offer me any aftermarket products that will do the job, please let me know.

Also, what do you think of my item choices for upgrading during my 90k maintenance? Could be better?

Are there any parts I should also consider replacing while Im doing my 90k?

Any feedback would be nice.

Thanks in advance,

- U
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
useful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #2
ilovemecha
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 180323
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
black

going to revive this dead post as it pertains to me
Im at about 97k and was looking in to doing this as well upgrading supplementary while I'm in there sorta thing.
i have plans to make more hp but wanna it reliably and take care of the maintenance first.
on top of what usful planed i also would like to upgrade and replace the water pump and oil pump if I'm in there

is there any down sides to doing things this way ? cuz there was no feedback on this post
if im trying to do a 105k service at 97k will it work out still be good
ilovemecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:21 PM   #3
leecea
Scooby Guru

Member#: 37359
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

Nothing wrong with doing a 105K service at 97K, if it's good timing for you, might as well get it done

With regard to the suggested upgrades, my opinion would be to stick with OE parts unless you can find reports that they have problems or if your target HP gains require upgraded units. Don't just assume a different brand is always better - some are unproven compared to OE units. That's my opinion - I have no facts about the suggested parts.

With regard to hoses, replacing the I/C hose is apparently worth a few HP and is on my list to do. Other than that, there is a dress-up factor with hoses, but not sure if there is much advantage. Modern water hoses seem to last forever compared to those from an earlier generation.

Be careful before you post any questions about fluids. There are millions of posts on this and many strongly held opinions. And if you mention M1 5w30, as in the original post, you'll be sorry
leecea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
ilovemecha
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 180323
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
black

thanks for the read^^ yeah Ive seen the flames from the troll fires ... but i do if say i was going for a 320 hp mark and i was going to change the oil pump would i want to go with idk and sti version or maby a Cosworth one no idea about the oil pumps even thought i think read that the flow rates don't change noob question that i know but still like some input
ilovemecha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:04 AM   #5
leecea
Scooby Guru

Member#: 37359
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

I can't help you, but I searched the 2.0 Powertrain forum and there are a few posts about oil pumps and also a bunch of "here is my mod list for 300whp" threads. Take a look over there.

Good luck.
leecea is online now   Reply With Quote