Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Wednesday April 16, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
Click here to visit TireRack
Tire & Wheel Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Losing traction? Need new tires?
Click here to visit the NASIOC Upgrade Garage...
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Tire & Wheel

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #1
Distinctive
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68122
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: martinsburg , oceanfront WV
Vehicle:
2004 dbl u ar ex
VF34 w/white paint

Default RE 92's+plug=????

i recently put my stockers back on...and had a nail in a tire....

got it plugged at a local shop....


my question is will that plug hold up to the elements of driving in snow?

semi high speed cornering?

highway driving 70/90 mph?

never had a plug so i dont know any help ??
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Distinctive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:44 PM   #2
Distinctive
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 68122
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: martinsburg , oceanfront WV
Vehicle:
2004 dbl u ar ex
VF34 w/white paint

Default

any one???
Distinctive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

...relax......millions and millions of plugged tires out there
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 05:36 PM   #4
Airborne_J
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 93045
Join Date: Aug 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: West Conshohocken, PA
Vehicle:
2004 FXT 5mt
2001 2.5 RS

Default

Same thing happened with mine at the end of the winter season last year. Stored them over the summer and brought 'em back out a few months ago.

I've driven in rain/snow and at speeds over what you're describing and it's been just fine.

Suppose it depends on the plug job though. Also, keep your eye on the tire in question.
Airborne_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
evilwhitecar
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 69380
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: denver
Vehicle:
2002 wrx sedan
aspen white

Default

plugs are technically considered a temporary fix by most of the industry. and only used really in skid loader tires, bald tires and if you were a jerk to your tire tech or the tire place doesn't care. it will most likely leak eventually but i can't say really when it would happen. if you are really worried about it take it to a shop that does patch repair and have them fix it. patching repairs the inside of the tire which works a lot better. to think of it better what would you rather do. stick your finger in a leaking ship (plug) or weld a steel plate over the hole(patch). you can also use a plug/patch that combines both methods.
evilwhitecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
REX8
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 24038
Join Date: Sep 2002
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Godspeed Cale...
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwhitecar View Post
plugs are technically considered a temporary fix by most of the industry. and only used really in skid loader tires, bald tires and if you were a jerk to your tire tech or the tire place doesn't care. it will most likely leak eventually but i can't say really when it would happen. if you are really worried about it take it to a shop that does patch repair and have them fix it. patching repairs the inside of the tire which works a lot better. to think of it better what would you rather do. stick your finger in a leaking ship (plug) or weld a steel plate over the hole(patch). <---Thats a HORRIBLY INACCURATE ANALOGY ...you can also use a plug/patch that combines both methods.
It will most likely leak??? I'd bet my house a majority of plugs never leak.

Sure, a patch is better, and you shouldn't be doing things like tracking/etc. on a plug, but your shop must be bad at plugs if they all most likely leak...


That analogy is pretty bad man.... A plug is glued/cemented in JUST like a patch. (just a little different then "sticking a finger in vs. welding" don't you think?)

So, to be fair, you should have said this...

"would you rather WELD a plug into the side of a ship, or WELD a patch?" <--- See how much different that is???

Last edited by REX8; 01-24-2007 at 09:18 PM.
REX8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 01:05 AM   #7
ScoobyBoy
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 6418
Join Date: May 2001
Default

itll be fine. ive got 2 plugs on the same tire, and have been in the snow. no issues. you dont have to worry about it.
ScoobyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:19 AM   #8
evilwhitecar
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 69380
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: denver
Vehicle:
2002 wrx sedan
aspen white

Default

i am sorry i over exaggerated....my bad i didn't know you don't like exagerations. two minor things. i said plugs leak eventually.... as it after a while. aka not immediatly. you have to consider that tires are driven under all different conditions and where the plug is located on the tire. second you don't use glue when you plug a tire. you drill out a larger hole in the tire then insert the plug with lube into the hole you just drilled. there is no gluing involved when you plug a tire. also when you drill said hole you can possibly damage the body cords in the tire which is why some plugs never seal properly. as for patch/plug combos you grind down the the inside of the tire. apply a cleaning fluid then a cement/glue then the plug/patch where the plug fills the hole and the patch seals around the hole for an air tight seal. if i left any more specifics out feel free to correct me since your tire knowlage is so much better than mine.....
evilwhitecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:58 AM   #9
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwhitecar View Post
i am sorry i over exaggerated....my bad i didn't know you don't like exagerations. two minor things. i said plugs leak eventually.... as it after a while. aka not immediatly. you have to consider that tires are driven under all different conditions and where the plug is located on the tire. second you don't use glue when you plug a tire. you drill out a larger hole in the tire then insert the plug with lube into the hole you just drilled. there is no gluing involved when you plug a tire. also when you drill said hole you can possibly damage the body cords in the tire which is why some plugs never seal properly. as for patch/plug combos you grind down the the inside of the tire. apply a cleaning fluid then a cement/glue then the plug/patch where the plug fills the hole and the patch seals around the hole for an air tight seal. if i left any more specifics out feel free to correct me since your tire knowlage is so much better than mine.....
.......wrong----just plain WRONG
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:00 PM   #10
nate.the.great
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72031
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: poor grammar fuels my anger
Default

i've plugged two tires. the proper method is to use glue. neither have leaked in ~one year. my guess is that the tires will need to be replaced due to wear before they will ever leak.

offroad 4x4 guys have been reliably using plugs for years. if plugs will handle the abuse they put their tires through, i'm pretty sure they'll be ok on a street car.
nate.the.great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #11
longboy
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 138459
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado
Vehicle:
2001 Outback

Default

My wife's soob has 2 or 3 plugs in one tire, that went in around 10k miles ago. The tires have reached 65k, and I'm finally ready to replace them. I have never had any problems with plugs.
longboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #12
ivwarrior
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 100610
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lewistown, PA
Vehicle:
2002 WRX
MBP

Default

I've never seen anyone use glue when plugging a tire. The patch/plug combo is a much better option than just a crappy plug.
ivwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:53 AM   #13
nate.the.great
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72031
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: poor grammar fuels my anger
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivwarrior View Post
I've never seen anyone use glue when plugging a tire. The patch/plug combo is a much better option than just a crappy plug.
Who in the hell would not use cement when plugging a tire? The directions tell you to use cement.

I like the patch option better as well, but it's not always an option. A patch is done on the inside by a shop, so what happens when you're in the middle of nowhere and you get a nail in your tire? Plug it.
nate.the.great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:27 AM   #14
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

Plugs have been around for at least 50 years, and likely a lot longer.

Plugs work if done right.

Plugs may not be the greatest, but they will get ya there.

Plugs in crappy tires are a match made in heaven

Plugs in re92's are a match made in heaven.


/thread
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:40 AM   #15
evilwhitecar
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 69380
Join Date: Aug 2004
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Location: denver
Vehicle:
2002 wrx sedan
aspen white

Default

how do you use cement on a plug anyway? by using a plug you are repairing a tire from the outside. what are you doing to do put glue all over the outside???? it will wear off by the time you drive what? 5 miles
i do however agree that if a plug is your only option then use it. i just don't like it.
evilwhitecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 10:59 AM   #16
nate.the.great
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 72031
Join Date: Oct 2004
Chapter/Region: Tri-State
Location: poor grammar fuels my anger
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilwhitecar View Post
how do you use cement on a plug anyway? by using a plug you are repairing a tire from the outside. what are you doing to do put glue all over the outside???? it will wear off by the time you drive what? 5 miles
i do however agree that if a plug is your only option then use it. i just don't like it.
yes, 5 miles . you sure post a lot for someone who has no idea what he's talking about.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/bovstuff/tirepluguzi.htm

i use a bit more cement than that, but it's a great how-to guide. scotty is on point. i wouldn't use a plug in one of my MX's, but they have been great for winter tires and general all season tires.
nate.the.great is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone need some RE-92's?? Bohanan @ work Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 26 02-11-2009 03:41 PM
my 2 videos on why NOT to play in your RE-92's ^jynx^ Tri-State Area Forum 8 05-16-2001 08:09 AM
Watch your RE 92's!!! RS22b Tri-State Area Forum 11 05-16-2001 12:56 AM
RE 92's jlyttle Brakes, Steering & Suspension 9 02-20-2001 03:08 PM
the almighy RE 92's thehanna Newbies & FAQs 6 12-01-2000 12:42 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.