Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Thursday July 31, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Subaru Conversions

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:54 AM   #1
pzary3233
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 52841
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 WRX #14 STX
PSM

Default STI Swap Questions

I seem to really suck at this whole search function thing!

So I threw a rod in my Bug Eye WRX and now I am on the search for a new motor. Originally I was just going to throw together a new short block and call it a day. However I started getting some price checks on things and it seems to me that i can go with a newer '06 WRX motor for around 3700 or an STI motor for just about the same price. PLEASE don't tell me to go buy an STI as I don't want to have car payments and I have my car set up JUST the way I want it minus a StopTech BBK. Plus my car is paid for...

So I remembered that these motors are drive by wire, which I hate with a passion. is there a way to convert them to a mechanical throttle or do I have to adopt the drive by wire to my Bug Eye some how?

Besides AVCS will this swap be pretty much plug and play? With either motor I would have the complete engine harness and ECU.

Thanks for your time!
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
pzary3233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #2
circaisdashiat
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 96315
Chapter/Region: SWIC
Vehicle:
1995 STi V5 replica
World rally blue

If i were you i would buy an older STi engine. Or you can get a 2.5 or 2L block and build it up with some of the parts you already have
circaisdashiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
niemand_1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 86248
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 VF30'd WRX
JBP

I may be wrong so somebody please correct me if I am... but you should be able to drop an STi long block in without too much trouble. If you get a long block just swap over your intake manifold and throttle body off your WRX and away you go. I believe all the sensors should connect to your WRX harness no problem. Of course, by doing it this way you wont be able to use AVCS and will need to get a cam position sensor to fix that. As for what year longblocks you can drop in I am not sure. MY 2004-05 STi long block should work OK. I would be interested to know if 2006+ WRX long blocks would work like this as well. The 2006 WRX engines run a little higher CR (8.4:1 to be exact) and would make a nice little upgrade. Again I may be totally off on my info so please somebody correct me if I am.
niemand_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
pzary3233
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX #14 STX
PSM

This is what Element Tuning had to say about the swap:

http://elementtuning.com/technical/ej25_install.htm

But I want a clean install that is factory. I don't want to have to go get a pro-tune as that would be a long drive for me on an un-tuned motor. If I can't replace it with a USDM STI motor I think that I would rather just build up my EJ205 and go that route.

There are kits to wire in the AVCS for the WRX so that isn't a problem.

I just don't want to have to deal with custom tuning because I had to use my stock WRX ECU on the USDM STI motor.

Basically what I want to do is NOT have drive by wire, but a physical connection between the gas pedal and the throttle body AND use the USDM STI ECU. That way it is a clean install without the need for custom tuning. Is this possible?

If not, do I have to hack into the harness a lot to incorporate the new gas pedal and Drive By Wire stuff?

Thanks!

Last edited by pzary3233; 02-02-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
niemand_1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 86248
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Vehicle:
2004 VF30'd WRX
JBP

Honestly, it sounds like replacing your EJ205 is the way to go then. This will be the least expensive route and will not require you to get a tune. Any other way you go will either require alot of money or a professional tune. As far as I know there really is now way around the DBW system. If you dont want to use your WRX manifold and throttle body then you will need to get a DBW setup. Besides a wire harness and ECU I believe you will also need to do something with the gas pedal. Read through the conversions forum...there is alot of good info in some of the threads.
niemand_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:16 PM   #6
pzary3233
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2002 WRX #14 STX
PSM

I have been reading through them... If I could get an '06 WRX Motor I would be Extatic... I could stay in my Auto X class... No SM auto X class for me!