Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Sunday September 21, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #1
MikalsWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40702
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ahead of you
Vehicle:
2002 Wagon stg 3.5
WRB

Default Too much oil?

Ivesearched and read all the FAQ about oil and really couldnt find my answer :-( I read where you should check the oil while the car is warm. I read where you should check it cold because all the oil has settled into the pan. I checked my oil on a flat service with the engine warm, I let it sit overnight and checked it. I ran it for a few minutes then checked it and everytime it showed empty. So duh, I added oil. One QT. Did the same thing over a 24 hour period. Checked it warm. cold everything so I added another QT. Another 24 hours now it says to much. Its over the two holes. Whatgives. am I that retarded thati cant check my own oil? Im thinking of draining it and starting over. But I just changed it 1500miles ago. I use Royal Purple 10-40
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
MikalsWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 05:04 PM   #2
Uncle Scotty
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 16200
Join Date: Mar 2002
Vehicle:
OK Houston
we have an Uncle

Default

....the difference between the 'holes' is ~1/2quart
Uncle Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #3
surowrxa
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102895
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
'12 Forester
'08 Legacy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikalsWRX View Post
Whatgives. am I that retarded thati cant check my own oil? Im thinking of draining it and starting over. But I just changed it 1500miles ago. I use Royal Purple 10-40
You have too much oil in there for sure. You don't have to drain it all, though.

All of the Subarus that I have owned have been slightly weird with the dipstick read. You have to do several reads sometimes to know where you're at. I have learned to NEVER put very much in when it reads low, because I have had to drain some back out because of a bad read. Flat surface, all the oil's in the pan, sometimes doesn't read the same.

edit: I'm talking when you also take into account oil expansion. This may be what's screwing you up.

Last edited by surowrxa; 02-06-2007 at 06:04 PM. Reason: I'm slow sometimes
surowrxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
MikalsWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40702
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ahead of you
Vehicle:
2002 Wagon stg 3.5
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Scotty View Post
....the difference between the 'holes' is ~1/2quart
Yeah when I first checked it it didnt show anything. It was dry. Then after the 1st QT it still didnt show anything. Not 2 days later and the second QT its way past the 2 holes :-(. So how much damage can to much oil do?
MikalsWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:36 PM   #5
surowrxa
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102895
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
'12 Forester
'08 Legacy

Default

From what I've heard the extra volume of oil puts strain on seals. Moving parts are sloshing through too much oil as well, which isn't good. I've had to drain a little from an overfill a couple times and it did not leak out the plug (like I was afraid of) afterward.
surowrxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #6
TMessick
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 882
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Michigan
Vehicle:
2004 WRX Wagon
very blue

Default

A half quart or so shouldn't be too bad, but you should look at fixing it... The real problem with overfillling happens when the oil level is high enough that the crank is dipping into it. This can cause the oil to get severly aerated (think whipped cream). At higher revs, you can actually aerate the oil and suck the bubbles into the oil pump. Aerated oil doesn't provide a very good lubrication film, so bad things happen to the moving bits of your engine (rods/cranks).

If you're just a "bit" overfilled and you recently changed the filter, you can just pull the filter and dump some oil (easier than trying to dump "just a little" oil from the HUGE subaru drain plug). However, if you do this, you MUST re-prime the oil system by cranking without fuel for some time (either pull the fuel pump connector and start until it dies BEFORE draining oil OR, if you feel lucky, just floor it as you crank after dumping the oil to enter clear-flood)

On a different (but related) note -- I'll throw in a reccomendation for the Fumitomo oil drain valve. Really easy to drain "just a bit" of oil if you overfill and makes oil changes really convenient....
TMessick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
surowrxa
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 102895
Join Date: Dec 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh
Vehicle:
'12 Forester
'08 Legacy

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMessick View Post
On a different (but related) note -- I'll throw in a reccomendation for the Fumitomo oil drain valve. Really easy to drain "just a bit" of oil if you overfill and makes oil changes really convenient....
I've been eyeballing the Fumitomo for a while. It's a great idea. You don't take the entire plug out when you drain a little. You untighten it to the point where it leaks (there's still a couple turns until it's out), keep checking the level as it drains, and you're good.
surowrxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #8
Hamzor
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 19541
Join Date: Jun 2002
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Tustin, CA
Vehicle:
2003 Impreza WRX
WRB

Default

Sometimes I have to check the oil dip stick three times until I get a consistant oil reading, see if this helps in the future.

You could get a hand pump and plastic tubing from an auto store and suck the extra oil through the dip stick tube. It will take awhile, but it is better than wasting an oil filter draining oil from your car.


Hamilton
Hamzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 08:38 PM   #9
Stanley
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 7374
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: North Bay, SFCA
Vehicle:
2007 Grandpamobile
BlingBlingBlue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMessick View Post
If you're just a "bit" overfilled and you recently changed the filter, you can just pull the filter and dump some oil (easier than trying to dump "just a little" oil from the HUGE subaru drain plug). However, if you do this, you MUST re-prime the oil system by cranking without fuel for some time (either pull the fuel pump connector and start until it dies BEFORE draining oil OR, if you feel lucky, just floor it as you crank after dumping the oil to enter clear-flood)
What is the "clear-flood" you speak of? Wouldn't draining your filter be just like doing an oil change without filling the oil filter before installing it? Seems like unnecessary wear and tear to crank your engine for an extended period of time...
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:27 PM   #10
leecea
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 37359
Join Date: May 2003
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

Default

I've drained a bit out from the drain plug and it is easy. As you unscrew it, keep some light pressure on the plug, pushing it in against the threads, that seems to keep the flow down to almost nothing. Once it is fully unscrewed, just ease it back from the hole slightly and the oil will flow out. Push it back in and give it a turn and it will seal up quickly.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
leecea
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 37359
Join Date: May 2003
Vehicle:
2003 WRX

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
What is the "clear-flood" you speak of?
Quote:
Modes of computerized engine control operation
1. Starting mode
2. Clear flood mode
3. Run mode
4. Acceleration mode
5. Limp home mode
6. Open/closed loop modes
Not sure what this has to do with changing the oil!
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:06 PM   #12
MikalsWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40702
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ahead of you
Vehicle:
2002 Wagon stg 3.5
WRB

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
I've drained a bit out from the drain plug and it is easy. As you unscrew it, keep some light pressure on the plug, pushing it in against the threads, that seems to keep the flow down to almost nothing. Once it is fully unscrewed, just ease it back from the hole slightly and the oil will flow out. Push it back in and give it a turn and it will seal up quickly.
Yeah I was gonna do that. When I change my oil, I notice that I can let some out that way. That seems to be the easiest way.
MikalsWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:18 AM   #13
rkramer
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 118209
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: North Dakota
Vehicle:
2002 WRX Sedan

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMessick View Post
If you're just a "bit" overfilled and you recently changed the filter, you can just pull the filter and dump some oil (easier than trying to dump "just a little" oil from the HUGE subaru drain plug). However, if you do this, you MUST re-prime the oil system by cranking without fuel for some time (either pull the fuel pump connector and start until it dies BEFORE draining oil OR, if you feel lucky, just floor it as you crank after dumping the oil to enter clear-flood)
why? as someone else mentioned this isn't any different then changing oil. believe it or not, our engines aren't so fragile that they blow up if they run for a couple seconds at idle without oil pressure.
rkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #14
volkl23
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 39092
Join Date: Jun 2003
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: St. Louis MO
Vehicle:
2004 WRX STi
Java Black Pearl

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMessick View Post
A half quart or so shouldn't be too bad, but you should look at fixing it... The real problem with overfillling happens when the oil level is high enough that the crank is dipping into it. This can cause the oil to get severly aerated (think whipped cream). At higher revs, you can actually aerate the oil and suck the bubbles into the oil pump. Aerated oil doesn't provide a very good lubrication film, so bad things happen to the moving bits of your engine (rods/cranks).

If you're just a "bit" overfilled and you recently changed the filter, you can just pull the filter and dump some oil (easier than trying to dump "just a little" oil from the HUGE subaru drain plug). However, if you do this, you MUST re-prime the oil system by cranking without fuel for some time (either pull the fuel pump connector and start until it dies BEFORE draining oil OR, if you feel lucky, just floor it as you crank after dumping the oil to enter clear-flood)

On a different (but related) note -- I'll throw in a reccomendation for the Fumitomo oil drain valve. Really easy to drain "just a bit" of oil if you overfill and makes oil changes really convenient....
1234 on the fumoto valve. Makes changing oil and fixing oops a lot less painful and time consuming.

Don't agree with the part about repriming the oil system. Not necessary at all.
volkl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #15
MikalsWRX
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40702
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Ahead of you
Vehicle:
2002 Wagon stg 3.5
WRB

Default

So I just loosened the drain bolt and let some oil out, then checked it. Did it again till it reads between the two holes. everything seems to be fine. I will check it again tomorrow and see where its at.
MikalsWRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ekk think I added too much oil for my oil change.. sti. NewShockerGuy Service & Maintenance 13 03-17-2005 05:15 PM
Effects of too much oil JenisonWRX Newbies & FAQs 9 01-28-2002 02:22 AM
Too much oil causing sluggishness? Marc Sawaya Normally Aspirated Powertrain 10 07-08-2001 02:36 AM
need answer fast! too much oil, bad? pbnj9786 Factory 2.0L Turbo Powertrain 11 05-06-2001 09:55 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2014, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.