Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 26, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Subaru Models > Legacy Forum

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 

Old 07-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
skatershawn
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 449269
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2000 Impreza 2.5RS
Silver

Default Possibly more than a Blown turbo(05 Legacy 2.5GT)?

Ok so I'm not new to turbos as I own a 1993 Talon TSi as well as my 2000 2.5RS. But i'm by no means an expert so I'm here to ask for some information on a 2005 Legacy 2.5GT.

I'm looking at purchasing this 05 2.5GT (132k miles) from a dealership for CHEAP and he says he got his mechanic to do a full inspection of the car after he got it from an auction sale which later resulted in him finding out the turbo was bad and is 100% confident that's all that is the issue.

But I want to know if there could be any other signs I would need to look for to make SURE its ONLY the turbo.
I started the car and let it idle for a few minutes. The car started perfect, no issues, the motor (from what i could hear) sounded pretty quite and on tune (no sound of misfire, no ticking or knocking). The turbo did have a bit of chattering funking noise coming from it. Then I rev'ed it a few times to see how it sounded and felt and it started bellowing clouds of white or grey smoke and didn't stop smoking till i shut it off. I wanted to take it for a test drive but it was parked behind a few other cars and I showed up randomly 15mins before the place closed so I didn't ask to drive it.

I know some of these are also signs of coolant burning off, but I didn't check the oil to see if there was any coolant in the oil, i'd like to pull the plugs and see what the inside and spark plugs look like (if its a turbo seal then it would be burning in the downpipe so no oil should be on the plugs) but certainly did have time for that.

What do you all think? Any suggestion on what else to look for?
The car has a CLEAN CarFax with 2 previous owners, the first did regular maintenance on it at a Subaru Dealership, the second owner did maintenance at a local Mercedes Dealership for the first year or so then started taking it to a Subaru Dealer for regular maintenance.

Thank you in advance,

Shawn
skatershawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2016, 11:45 PM   #2
Patrick Olsen
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 120
Chapter/Region: AKIC
Vehicle:
1997 Legacy 2.5GT
QuickSilver Metallic

I imagine you'd get more feedback in the Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain forum, as what you're asking is just an EJ255/EJ257 question, not a Legacy question. Lots more people browsing the Turbo forum than this one, so more people will see your thread.
Patrick Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote