Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday September 2, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Service & Maintenance

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 11-30-2001, 01:31 PM   #1
jds
NASIOC Supporter

Member#: 7991
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Default CEL *after* ECU re-flash?

Has anybody experienced CEL's in their 02 WRX after having the ECU re-flashed by SoA?

I had a CEL in early November at about 7k miles. The dealer retreived a P0304 code (misfire on #3 cylinder). The ECU was pulled and re-flashed under warranty.

On 7/27/01, I had another CEL at about 7800 miles. Again, the dealer retreived the P0304 code. This time, we simply re-set the ECU -- I'll monitor as needed.

Anybody experience anything similar? I though the re-flash was supposed to take care of spurious P0304's. I didn't notice any stumble or chugging when the CEL came on. The engine was at idle, approx. 700 RPM, around 4% load.

I guess I COULD have a bad injector or plug, but, like I said, I didn't notice a stumble before the CEL came on. Ideas?

-Joe
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
jds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2001, 08:55 PM   #2
ANZAC_1915

Member#: 456
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Vehicle:
2008 Forester XT
Steel Gray Metallic

I seem to recall that some cars have had problems with loose coil packs on #3. Did they check that?

Glenn
ANZAC_1915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 12:46 PM   #3
jds
NASIOC Supporter

Glenn:

No, they didn't check anything yet. I had them pull the code late on a friday afternoon and I needed the car for the weekend. I asked the tech to simply re-set the CEL -- I'll monitor to see what happens.

According to the tech, getting to the #3 injector is a major PITA. There are a lot of parts in the way that have to be moved to even probe the injector. That's why I decided to play "let's wait and see" -- I don't want to be out of the car 3-5 days unless I know I have to.

Regards,
-Joe
Old 12-05-2001, 04:57 PM   #4
jds
NASIOC Supporter

Well, here we go again.

I got another CEL yesterday evening. In all three cases now, it was after I had parked the car for 30-40 minutes on a cool evening. The CEL comes on during a relatively low-speed 1-2 shift.

At any rate, the techs at my dealer are checking the tech line to find out what diagnostics SoA recommends -- I'll probably take them the car on Monday. argh.

-Joe
Old 12-07-2001, 02:46 PM   #5
burton13
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 12711
Vehicle:
2002 WRX SportWagon
Silver

Does the CEL stay on, or does it go off? I have ~2000miles on my WRX and the light has been on twice and then the starter did not turn over. Turned the key off and the light was off and the car started.

It happened to my wife a few days earlier and I assumed it was b/c the clutch was not all the way in. That was not the case when it did not start for me...

Any ideas?
burton13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 06:31 PM   #6
jds
NASIOC Supporter

Picked the WRX up from the dealer again yesterday. They tested the #3 injector, and after it tested good, swapped the coil packs from left side to right side, based on techline input.

Hopefully, this fixes my CEL problems.

-Joe