Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Monday July 25, 2016
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > General Community

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads. 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #201
tux121
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 162942
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN
Vehicle:
2006 STi Black&Gold
Stage 2

Default

Maybe because they make sure they can give out the right part so you don't come back saying "Hey this didn't fit"
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
tux121 is offline  
Sponsored Links
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #202
DancesWithSubarus
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 169559
Join Date: Jan 2008
Default Reply to this post 3 times please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux121 View Post
Maybe because they make sure they can give out the right part so you don't come back saying "Hey this didn't fit"
I need to make a thread. Help me I need atleast 3 legitimate reply's in order to do so. My subaru has a major problem that needs attention. Reply!
DancesWithSubarus is offline  
Old 01-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #203
Hondaslayer
Interpretively Paraphrasing
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Declasse Moonbeam

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StiLimited View Post
Perfect illustration of why the vin is not the guaranteed solution SOA has claimed. What we need is the good old days where you were on first name basis with the parts guy and they knew the numbers in their heads. (Like my father. ) Unfortuneately for me (at this time) he's a Ford guy, so I'm in the same boat as everyone else. If I ever come back "from the dark side" as he says, he'll be ready to hook me up.


And what does his story have to do with anything? With or without the VIN the guy would have looked up the wrong part, having the VIN ensures you get the right part when the right part is selected.
Hondaslayer is offline  
Old 01-21-2008, 01:26 AM   #204
TheYinzer412
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 158828
Join Date: Sep 2007
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Vehicle:
2000 2.5RS Coupe
Blue Ridge Pearl

Default

i have a 2.5RS and i went into my local parts dept. to buy the 2.5RS badges for the trunk lid and the guy couldnt find them without the vin so i wonder if it has something to do with the inventory locators in the parts dept
TheYinzer412 is offline  
Old 01-22-2008, 09:02 PM   #205
DRPSNERTLE
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 131947
Join Date: Nov 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: East TN
Vehicle:
02&4 Forester & Baja
Blue Ridge Pearl& Silver

Default

Did you get your 3 replies?
DRPSNERTLE is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 05:11 AM   #206
bhhamblin
n00b Moderator
Moderator
 
Member#: 99397
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Clinton, UT
Vehicle:
15 WRX, 83 DR30,
93 R32 GTS-T, 93 R32 GTR

Default

yeah i guess the dealer keeps a log of all the parts you buy. it goes on the carfax report. so whoever has your car next can see.
bhhamblin is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 07:53 AM   #207
Zornorph
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 17332
Join Date: Apr 2002
Chapter/Region: NESIC
Location: The neighbor's yard
Vehicle:
2004 Black STI
Not stock anymore

Default

^I've never heard that before, regarding carfax.
Zornorph is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #208
state
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 118560
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Bridgeport, WV
Vehicle:
2002 2.5 RS
Aspen White

Default

the parts themselves dont go onto carfax, it only happens to get onto the reports if you get the vehicle serviced there AND they are a dealership that reports to Carfax
state is offline  
Old 01-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #209
ScoobyDude2002
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 169868
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Massillon,OH
Vehicle:
2002 Impreza WRX
Aspen White

Default

yea i agree that is alot better so you dont have any problems with the parts
ScoobyDude2002 is offline  
Old 01-26-2008, 07:43 PM   #210
Shinobi_Da
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 149974
Join Date: May 2007
Chapter/Region: VIC
Location: EastVancity
Vehicle:
2004 chargespeed WRX
Dirty

Default

you just have to put your oil filters on with a hammer next time, that falls off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylyons1 View Post
Think of it this way, its better that they get your vin, and give the EXACT part you need rather then driving to the store and having your oil filter fall off because it wasnt the right size....
Shinobi_Da is offline  
Old 01-29-2008, 01:28 AM   #211
VJDM
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 169222
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Tacoma WA
Vehicle:
97 M3
Arctic silver

Default

as a parts manager, i read this thread and just laugh. some of you guys have quite the consipracy theorys! "they'll use your VIN to investigate murder!" ROFL!!

i DONT work for suby, but i do work for Mazda and like many other manufactures, the VINs are req to get the correct parts for your car. thats it. honest! parts changes numbers so often that the vins are needed insure that the correct updated part is given instead of the old flawed part.

dealers dont use your VIN to track and see if your cars is modded, well mits did, but that not the standard. we really dont car, the more you mod your car the more things break and then you have to buy them from me. then i make money so i can mod my car and the whole cycle starts again! LOL
VJDM is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 05:30 AM   #212
anfrey
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170371
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location:
Vehicle:
2004 gda-d
world rally blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by limequat View Post
Someone transposes a "1" for an "I" and suddenly you're being investigated for murder!
i just wanted to say that this is impossible. there are no Is in a VIN. this is to prevent transcription errors from occurring
anfrey is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 01:27 PM   #213
state
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 118560
Join Date: Jun 2006
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: Bridgeport, WV
Vehicle:
2002 2.5 RS
Aspen White

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfrey View Post
i just wanted to say that this is impossible. there are no Is in a VIN. this is to prevent transcription errors from occurring
no, but a VIN could contain the letters M E
state is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #214
KNS Brakes
NASIOC Storefront Vendor
 
Member#: 125739
Join Date: Sep 2006
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Raleigh, NC
Vehicle:
2015 WRB WRX
Need Brakes? 919.420.0021

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
For the love of God people!!!!!!!!!

Here's the deal and quit listening to the people that think your VIN blew up the twin towers.

The VIN is a many digit number that among other things, lets the dealer know your build date. This is important because (for example) the brake pads on the 2004 WRX changed mid year. With the VIN, you will get the right brake pads. If you just walk in there with a part number you scoured off the internet (reason #1 why I no longer put part # in my FAQs), you will likely be sitting with your car on jackstands all weekend because you have the wrong part.

The VIN is also computer and/or shop required to look up ANY parts? Why? This is due to the reason above. It assures 100% that any parts given are suitable for your vehicle.

The only killer is when you do odd stuff, like say the H6 upgrade to the rear brakes. This changes your brake pads from 04 WRX to 02/03 Outback. This can and does cause some confusion with dealers. You can handle this by copying a random VIN off of eBay or using a reputable Subaru NASIOC vendor like Subie Gal, Annapolis Subaru, etc.

If you'd like to copy a random VIN off of ebay and wear your tin foil hat into the dealer, you could receive the wrong part. Will you then come here and complain?

VINs are NOT recorded at the dealership when you buy parts. Do you get that tin foil hat wearers? They have zero impact with regard to warranty work.

My VIN is JF1GG29694G803308

Feel free to post this on every internet site ever.


There are usually MANY MANY MANY MANY MANY part changes throughout the year. Some parts are forward interchangeable - some are not - some require OTHER parts to be changed. The combinations are ENDLESS.

When they BUILD the car - the VIN tells them what they built it with. It also tells them if the change worked - i.e. warranty for xyz part went to zero once change # 143 was completed along with change # 854.

I still wear tin foil just in case though - plus it gets all the girls.

KNS Brakes is offline  
Old 02-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #215
anfrey
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170371
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location:
Vehicle:
2004 gda-d
world rally blue

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by state View Post
no, but a VIN could contain the letters M E
lol i couldn't help but laugh

Last edited by anfrey; 02-14-2008 at 11:30 AM. Reason: added quote to post.
anfrey is offline  
Old 02-13-2008, 12:15 AM   #216
hewittscuby
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170742
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: northern NJ
Vehicle:
2004 WRX (not sti)
blue

Default

Kudos to unabomber and Unit 91. I work for a parts department (of a different brand) and the full vin really helps a lot. Without it, the parts guy gets a list of possible correct part and is then forced to make a best guess depending on what the customer says and any type of footnote the system offers. But even with a full vin there may not be 100% accuracy, because there is always the human factor imputting the information into the system somewhere.

Regards, Hewittscuby
hewittscuby is offline  
Old 02-26-2008, 12:03 AM   #217
ejicon
Scooby Guru
 
Member#: 2452
Join Date: Sep 2000
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Location: Burbank,California, USA
Vehicle:
08 2.5 WRX
WRB Mica

Default

I've never been asked my vin number because I order my parts at subaruparts.com. Why even bother with the dealership when their prices are so high?
ejicon is offline  
Old 02-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #218
SeibonDinan325i
*** Banned ***
 
Member#: 173200
Join Date: Feb 2008
Default

i guess, not really sure
SeibonDinan325i is offline  
Old 03-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #219
PrnSccrCss
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 171116
Join Date: Feb 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Madison, WI
Vehicle:
2006 WRX
Aspen White

Default

Good way to avoid having to give your VIN out when you get your oil changed is to do it yourself...also avoids having the techs leave a freaking wrench in your engine...then you drive 50 miles without knowing it's in there, only to discover it when you get home to find that they somehow managed to loosen the intercooler...hmmmm....the paranoia is okay to have sometimes...
PrnSccrCss is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 12:53 PM   #220
billzebub
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 40248
Join Date: Jul 2003
Chapter/Region: South East
Location: Asheville, NC
Vehicle:
2003 WRX
Midnight Pearl (black)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unabomber View Post
The VIN is a many digit number that among other things, lets the dealer know your build date. This is important because (for example) the brake pads on the 2004 WRX changed mid year. With the VIN, you will get the right brake pads.

That's not true. I've got an '03 built sometime in '02 and I've never gotten the correct brake pads from a dealership. I always wind up buying them last minute at Autozone and having to get a refund from the dealership since I don't find out until the wheels are off the car and there's brake fluid all over the driveway.
billzebub is offline  
Old 03-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #221
bhhamblin
n00b Moderator
Moderator
 
Member#: 99397
Join Date: Oct 2005
Chapter/Region: RMIC
Location: Clinton, UT
Vehicle:
15 WRX, 83 DR30,
93 R32 GTS-T, 93 R32 GTR

Default

they ask for the vin so they can have it on record what you bought so when somebody does a carfax they will know. same way how an accident shows up
bhhamblin is offline  
Old 03-11-2008, 11:30 PM   #222
skingfreak
Scooby Specialist
 
Member#: 152591
Join Date: Jun 2007
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location: Wisconsin
Vehicle:
2010 Jetta TDI Cup
Jet Black

Default

^^ really? interesting.
skingfreak is offline  
Old 03-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #223
C4STI
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 79897
Join Date: Jan 2005
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Location: DMV
Vehicle:
2005 Rock Chipped
Grocery Getter

Default

I can't help but laugh at the fact that this thread is still going, let alone not locked.

Ohh noes, someone has gotten my vehicles VIN! I've been a victim of vehicle identity theft. There's now a Scion parading around as a STi out there.

Seriously people, they're not asking you for your social security number. Sure it can be annoying when you know what you want, but it's there to help you, end of story.

No conspiracy... I promise.

Just my 2 cents, keep the change.


<-- Not a big fan of tin foil, but occasionally wears aluminum foil hats to Chipotle for free burritos on Halloween.

Last edited by C4STI; 03-13-2008 at 08:39 PM.
C4STI is offline  
Old 03-14-2008, 02:20 PM   #224
anfrey
Scooby Newbie
 
Member#: 170371
Join Date: Jan 2008
Chapter/Region: MWSOC
Location:
Vehicle:
2004 gda-d
world rally blue

Default

i think the confusion happens when you have swapped parts in your car... and therefore the parts one needs do not match the vehicle's VIN.
anfrey is offline  
Old 03-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #225
Hondaslayer
Interpretively Paraphrasing
Moderator
 
Member#: 4562
Join Date: Feb 2001
Chapter/Region: NWIC
Location: Auburn, WA
Vehicle:
1995 Legacy LSi
1998 Declasse Moonbeam

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhhamblin View Post
they ask for the vin so they can have it on record what you bought so when somebody does a carfax they will know. same way how an accident shows up


No

Might I suggest reading the thread before posting your uneducated opinion?
Hondaslayer is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's up with this Alignment? Fix needed? SoobZero Brakes, Steering & Suspension 5 11-09-2014 12:52 AM
What's up with used car dealer fees that rip you off?? rice h8r Off-Topic 58 08-02-2014 02:31 PM
What's up with the Gas Prices??? Normally cheap in my part of Houston (da bario). Hotrodguru Texas Impreza Club Forum -- TXIC 34 01-27-2005 08:45 PM
pads- Dealer parts dept. runaround? lucien2 Brakes, Steering & Suspension 5 05-22-2003 07:54 PM
What's up with dealers? imprezadan New England Impreza Club Forum -- NESIC 5 06-07-2001 02:48 PM

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Powered by Searchlight © 2016 Axivo Inc.
Copyright ©1999 - 2016, North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club, Inc.