Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Friday August 28, 2015
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC Technical > Factory 2.5L Turbo Powertrain (EJ Series Factory 2.5L Turbo)

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #1
CoolRex
*** Banned ***

Member#: 85813
Chapter/Region: South East
Vehicle:
2002 E46 M3
2006 RC51

Default Future plans for EJ257 hybrid...what needs to be changed.

It will not be long before my 2.0L hits high mileage and it starts tiring out. I want to go up to 2.5L but I am worried about the power falling off after 5.5K rpms due to the stock 2.0L heads.

I love the power I have now but want more and want it sooner and to have it hold much better. Right now my dyno sheet is peaky and falls off. I want to broaden the power curve substantially.

So here is where you guys come in and hopefully Jorge and Clark will chime in as I have read on Nasioc many discussions they have had with some guys wanting 16g turbos on EJ257 hybrids.

I'm thinking stock EJ257 with STi gaskets. Stage 1 Crower cams with some mild porting and polishing. Upgrading my td05h 18g to a td06h 18g with 8cm2 hotside or to a td05h 20g with 8cm2 hotside. I'm keeping the meth injection with my 93 octane. I think I should be able to hit 400 whp soon in the early 3K rpm range and hold that power fairly well to redline.

I want to keep this budget low however be honest with me. If I need bigger cams and retainers and springs so be it. Will my stock valves be okay? Is the powerband I'm wanting unreasonable with the two turbo upgrades I mentioned.

Thanks guys.
CoolRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
Capt Crunch
Scooby Guru

Member#: 10852
Chapter/Region: MAIC
Vehicle:
Then : JDM Ver 7 STi
Now : E46 M3 / MKVI GTI

why not go a slightly different route and get a version 8 ej207? The AVCS and higher compression makes the off-turbo response pretty good and the heads and cams will make for a much wider powerband than the ej205.

The reason I mention this option is because of cost and reliability. Cost should be lower because you can get a motor for $4k. Sell your motor for 2k. It's completely bolt on except for AVCS wiring which is a 30 minute job. You cannot beat factory freshness either. Built motors often have their quirks, and watching all the horror sotries of people with built motors having months or years of downtime scares me. Also you get a low milage motor.

An 8cm 18G on a version 8 ej207 sti motor would be a killer street setup. Power from 3.5k to 7.5k I bet. Depending on the dyno you could get 320 whp.
Capt Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:05 AM   #3
CoolRex
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2002 E46 M3
2006 RC51

That has always been an option for me. I doubt I can sell my motor because you see by the time I am ready to do this it will have well over 100K miles on it. Also with the PPG tranny money is really really tight after that. Just looking at all the options. Who knows maybe by then I can get a Ver8 engine. Trust me I would love to have one but another thing that sucks is that if I went with a JDM motor there goes my Ecutek license. I really wish they would transfer licenses.....it sucks.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
CoolRex
*** Banned ***

Vehicle:
2002 E46 M3
2006 RC51

Well ditch this idea. I'm going JDM yo!

Capt Crunch where did you get your engine? Mind PM'ing me about it when you get the chance? I'd really appreciate it as I have some questions to ask.