Welcome to the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club Tuesday July 22, 2014
Home Forums WikiNASIOC Products Store Modifications Upgrade Garage
NASIOC
Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Home Registration is free! Visit the NASIOC Store NASIOC Rules Search Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Calendar Archive NASIOC Upgrade Garage Logout
Go Back   NASIOC > NASIOC General > Interior & Exterior Modification

Welcome to NASIOC - The world's largest online community for Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to the NASIOC.com Subaru forum.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, free of charge, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:36 AM   #1
jonfaiella
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 389749
Chapter/Region: BAIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Default 2015 WRX Torklift Eco-Invisi Hitch Install

I installed a 2" hitch on my car this weekend, and thought I'd share the process with you guys. It's from torklift, seen here https://shop.tlcentral.com/store/pc/...odel-p3194.htm. After seeing in another thread the modification lengths one NASIOC user went through to get his older hitch to fit his new WRX, Torklift commented that they were working on a new design to fit the 2015 models. The hitch has now been released, and this writeup is my experience with the install. I don't have a final picture, cuz you wouldn't be able to see anything - it's hidden! This also isn't a DIY step-by-step, since instructions are included with the product.

So perhaps it was my own fault for assuming this, but I thought this hitch was supposed to be a perfect "plug and play" fit. Remove some parts, bolt on the hitch, put some parts back on. I found this was not the case, as I will show below. I guess I didn't expect to have to dremel so much, when the website says "hitch is a no drill design". Technically, yeah, I didn't drill, I dremel'ed.

If you're going to install this hitch, be forewarned, you will need the following tools (in addition to many other basic tools most people own):
- dremel (trimming the heat shields and bumper)
- deep socket 19mm (installing the hitch on the frame)
- torque wrench (installing the bumper beam and the hitch)
- breaker bar (the bumper beam bolts are incredibly tight).

Some notes I have regarding the provided instructions:
- Color pictures would have been great. The included pictures are nearly worthless as the quality was so low.
- You could save a lot of time by not disassembling the entire interior of your trunk and removing both taillight assemblies. The instructions tell you to do all of this, however, it is not necessary at all to remove your rear bumper.
- Instructions for removing the exhaust hangers are vague if you've never done this before (remove the hanger from the car, or remove it from the muffler?). I ended up removing both mufflers entirely, whereas the instructions stated simply to remove them from the exhaust hangers and lower them down on some blocks. I wanted the space, and found it easier to remove them entirely to get the exhaust hangers off also.
- Don't forget to remove the two phillips head screws in the top center area of the rear bumper, as these are not noted in the instructions at all.
- The fit of the hitch itself required a lot of trimming on my rear bumper diffuser which was not mentioned at all in the instructions. I'll show pictures of this below. Just the fact that I had to cut the metal exhaust heat shields was a surprise to me, but I also had to make about 5 different cuts on my bumper too (not including the cut to access the pin, which is an "optional" cutting of the bumper in the instructions). The instructions also required a few large cuts be made on the back side of the bumper, where some "fins" protrude near where the hitch receptacle sits. These fins had to be removed.
- For those worried about the 2" hitch and having space to put a pin in, yeah, it'll be tight. I'm not too worried about it though honestly. You can pop off a couple of the nylon fasteners under the bumper, pull the bumper back slightly, and have the space to put in the pin. How often do you do this anyway? Otherwise, you can make a clean cut under the bumper that will never be seen to provide access.

In this first picture, you can see where the main structure of the hitch protrudes down too far and flexes the bumper down. This occurs on both sides. This additionally causes the bumper fastener holes to not line up. I had to cut notches in the bumper on both sides to act as a relief for this interference.

Here is a picture of the cutout I made to resolve this problem. Note that even with this large of a cutout, the hitch is still rubbing. I didn't want to cut away much more, so I flexed the metal brackets under the car a bit to allow the bumper to be attached again.

The next issue was the fitment of the actual hitch receptacle in the bumper access hole. The first issue was that it sat too low, as you can see in the next picture, and the plastic tabs on the bumper would then block any stringer inserted into the hitch. The second issue was that it sat completely flush up against the bumper. This caused another problem in that the removable bumper piece could not be inserted back into the bumper at all, as the clips would hit the hitch and couldn't grab on to the bumper.

I had to trim off the plastic protrusion blocking the hitch receptacle, as well as trim my bumper back to allow for the clips on the cover piece to grab. I additionally had to trim the clips themselves to gain more clearance. The removable piece now can reattach, but is unfortunately loose and jiggles.

All in all, I'm very happy to have the hitch on my car, and it was a fun project for me. However, it was much more of an undertaking than I was expecting, and it took me much longer than I anticipated. I may have driven to the store without mufflers once, ha. "Performance"-wise, there isn't much to review - I mean, it's a hitch, what do you expect. The only thing I can think of is the access to the pin which may be a pain, unless you use a 1up system. Also, I'll have to look again, but I think the chain loops are jammed up against the spare tire cavity and may be a challenge to get to also.
* Registered users of the site do not see these ads.

Last edited by jonfaiella; 06-23-2014 at 01:46 AM.
jonfaiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
jonfaiella
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX

Here's a pic of it from slightly farther back:
Old 06-24-2014, 01:30 AM   #3
rikdrt1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 392396
Chapter/Region: SCIC
Vehicle:
2015 WRX
DGM

Thanks Jon - good writeup. I was looking at this and when I saw that video that says the bumper has to come off along with the lights, trunk items and diffuser - I got cold feet. Your info is fabulous. I was also emailed the instructions (I haven't done this yet or purchased) - but when I am wondering how you did this without removing the bumper ?

the video on UTube shows it almost has to come off - would be interested in finding out how you did it ? or was it only the diffuser that needs to come off.

I was going to tow a small trailer and a 400lb bike but all this hassle is starting to worry me.

are you installing all this to tow something or just for a bike rack (like most) I would love to see how the pin and 2" ball would look on this - and how hard is it to get to.

like you mentioned , where the heck do you put the chains if needed -- I know another vendor is working on a trailer hitch also. I think that one will be more traditional. Ill wait a little longer before I decide.
rikdrt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:22 AM   #4
jonfaiella
Scooby Newbie

Vehicle:
2015 WRX

I did remove the bumper - I just said that in order to remove the bumper, I don't find it necessary to remove the interior trunk pieces and taillights assemblies. The bumper tabs that attach under the taillights are tight, which is why the instructions may say to remove the taillights, as this may reduce the chances of someone breaking a tab. I find it unlikely.

I got this for a bike rack primarily, and the future option to tow (shhhhh), once my warranty is expired of course . I might be moving some furniture out of my garage soon (once my warranty expires) and would like the option to hook up a small trailer to do so. If I do I'll let you know how it goes. I'd also like to get an old airstream as another side project to fix up, and be able to take camping. The chain hooks are there, and can be used - I just noted that from what I recalled they seemed to be placed in another possibly inconvenient location.

It doesn't matter what other company's hitch you go with, if it's to be hidden behind the bumper like this design, it will be a pain to access the pin. Like I said though, there are ways to mitigate that, and I don't think it will be that big of a deal.
Old Today, 12:45 AM   #5
bkneeland1
Scooby Newbie

Member#: 290075
Chapter/Region: TXIC
Vehicle:
2015 STI
Black

Default smaller size

Has anyone heard of the 1 1\4in size?

You think that would work and be able to put the cap over the receiver?

Nice right up.

I can't believe they didn't put the roof rail tabs on my car.
bkneeland1 is offline   Reply With Quote